Question about different Bluray media

Old April 7th 12, 11:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
ftran999

Default Question about different Bluray media

I'm planning on adding a BR writer to my PC. I plan is to transfer videos
shot on my DSLR to BD and give out to friends and family. When I look on
Newegg.com I get confused by the different types of BD media BD-R, BD-R DL,
BD-RE, BD-RE DL. So If my goal is to author disks playable on both PCs
(assuming the user's pc has a BR player) or a standalone BR player which
media type should I be looking at.
Thanks in advance.

Old April 8th 12, 07:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Apr 7, 6:21 pm, "ftran999" wrote:
I'm planning on adding a BR writer to my PC. I plan is to transfer videos
shot on my DSLR to BD and give out to friends and family. When I look on
Newegg.com I get confused by the different types of BD media BD-R, BD-R DL,
BD-RE, BD-RE DL. So If my goal is to author disks playable on both PCs
(assuming the user's pc has a BR player) or a standalone BR player which
media type should I be looking at.
Thanks in advance.

Standards. Haven't looked at BR, although with DVDs 99% of settop
players expected a standard industry format for layout and encoding
purposes. VOBs in MPEG2, which in turn required not just any
authoring program to finalize a disc. All you'll find are odds and
ends until you spend a little time with people working in media
production. More or less -- if you're new to broadcast engineering,
read more. Might try Doom9.net -- where there used to be a lot of
information on video production.
Old April 8th 12, 08:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

ftran999 wrote:
I'm planning on adding a BR writer to my PC. I plan is to transfer
videos shot on my DSLR to BD and give out to friends and family. When
I look on Newegg.com I get confused by the different types of BD media
BD-R, BD-R DL, BD-RE, BD-RE DL. So If my goal is to author disks
playable on both PCs (assuming the user's pc has a BR player) or a
standalone BR player which media type should I be looking at.
Thanks in advance.

I would start by finding some software for authoring. In
the documentation, they might state some of the issues you'll run
into.

BD-R is write once.

BD-RE is rewritable (and like previous generations, more expensive)

The blank media you can buy, is "data grade" and any pre-formatting
is there to tell reader devices that the discs are sort-of backup
media, rather than being "true movie discs" made by Hollywood.
So just because you have an authoring package, and managed to
make a menu on your BDMV-based content, it doesn't mean the
average reader mistakes this for a "Hollywood movie" look-alike.
Real movies are encrypted. On some of the older players
(first generation), they won't read any data grade discs at all.
Current generation players should be more generous. You're bound
to run into at least one of your "family and friends" who will
complain that their player spit out the disc :-)

Rather than this being a "fault of the laser", in this case it's
a logical fault. With each generation of player, there are going to be
more checks for what kind of disc it is, "Hollywood" or "otherwise".
It's possible, in terms of physical layer reading, that BD-R reads
just as well as BD-RE. If it's going to foul up, it could be
"firmware in the player" that causes the foul up, and not a
"laser problem".

*******

I'm surprised there is nothing from Sony in this list. It's
possible this list focuses more on authoring, rather than editing.
Authoring is what puts a fancy menu on the disc, when your
recipient goes to play it. A video editor is still going to be
needed, to prepare the content. Or maybe even conversion tools,
to change formats. But the video editor may not excel at authoring,
and vice versa. What little I've done in this area (DVDs), I edited
with one tool, authored with a second, and burned media with a third,
all because the tools each had their own annoying quirks. I wouldn't
expect the bloated software to be any different now, when it comes
to how annoying it can be (doing stuff you don't want it to do).

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/secti...ring-bd-hd-dvd

BDAV and BDMV support different bit rates. And I expect
any authoring tool you find now, will be able to do BDMV,
which has the higher rate support. I think initially, you
couldn't get good authoring for BDMV, but it looks like
that has changed.

For "Hollywood" content, typical end-user issues are things
like: having to have the player connected to the Internet,
needing to upgrade the firmware to play new titles, and
the discs themselves having Java code on them, which the
player runs, and the code has something to do with
the decryption process, as well as making menus. When it
comes to your discs, only the "firmware upgrade" is
a potential issue (for say, a first generation player).
Otherwise, when your disc plays, it won't have the same
playing issues as a Hollywood disc.

Paul
Old April 8th 12, 10:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rodney Pont[_5_]

On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 03:49:37 -0400, Paul wrote:

I'm planning on adding a BR writer to my PC. I plan is to transfer
videos shot on my DSLR to BD and give out to friends and family. When
I look on Newegg.com I get confused by the different types of BD media
BD-R, BD-R DL, BD-RE, BD-RE DL. So If my goal is to author disks
playable on both PCs (assuming the user's pc has a BR player) or a
standalone BR player which media type should I be looking at.
Thanks in advance.

I would start by finding some software for authoring. In
the documentation, they might state some of the issues you'll run
into.

BD-R is write once.

BD-RE is rewritable (and like previous generations, more expensive)

I think the issue will be more with +/- than R/RE. Two friends have DVD
recorders that will only accept the -R/RW discs. With one of them it
won't even eject a +R/RW and you have to dismantle it to get the disc
out. At least with PC recorders there is usually a hole you can push a
paperclip into to force an eject.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com

Old April 8th 12, 12:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rodney Pont[_5_]

On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 10:54:48 +0100 (BST), Rodney Pont wrote:

[...]

I think I've put my foot in it again. I can't find any blue ray + media
so I assume it doesn't even exist :-(

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com

Old April 8th 12, 07:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Rodney Pont wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I think that's one of the improvements. This time, they
didn't feel the need to go in divergent directions. Not yet at least.

Paul
Old April 8th 12, 07:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_14_]

In article t.me.uk, "Rodney Pont" wrote:
[...]

There are no + or - issues when dealing with bluray disks
Old April 8th 12, 07:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_14_]

In article , Paul wrote:
Rodney Pont wrote:
[...]

Did you miss the whole HDDVD drama?
Old April 8th 12, 08:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

GMAN wrote:
In article , Paul wrote:
Rodney Pont wrote:
[...]

We're referring to the (+) versus (-) media, and the differing methods
for tracking the groove.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD%2BR

"There are a number of significant technical differences between the
'dash' and the 'plus' format, although most users would not notice
the difference. One example is that the DVD+R style Address In Pregroove
(ADIP) system of tracking and speed control is less susceptible to
interference and error, which makes the ADIP system more accurate at
higher speeds than the Land Pre Pit (LPP) system used by DVD-R."

Blu Ray versus HD DVD was the "betamax" thing all over again.
Two different trade groups. I have no idea, how the physical layer
of Blu Ray, compares to HD DVD. They might both have used blue lasers
(405nm).

Paul
Old April 8th 12, 11:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Strobe

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 18:21:15 -0400, "ftran999" wrote:

I'm planning on adding a BR writer to my PC. I plan is to transfer videos
shot on my DSLR to BD and give out to friends and family. When I look on
Newegg.com I get confused by the different types of BD media BD-R, BD-R DL,
BD-RE, BD-RE DL. So If my goal is to author disks playable on both PCs
(assuming the user's pc has a BR player) or a standalone BR player which
media type should I be looking at.

R is the basic recordable disk - write once (25Gb).
RE is same but rewriteable, still 25Gig.
DL means double layer (50Gb)

I saw on the box of a new drive that it claims to be ready to work with
quad-layer disks - which would be 100GB.

Having just got a BD drive myself, I'm eager to use it for backups and archival
storage.
I'm happy to use -R disks for archiving, but backups need to be updated and
call for erasable disks. However, in my area - New York City - only BD -R and
BD -R DL are in the local stores; there seems to be an absence of RE disks.
And a major store in Manhattan had only ONE pack of BD-R disks (compared to
dozens of spindles of CDs and DVDs)!

Is this just me, or is there a general BluRay disk shortage?
Did the Japan earthquake close a vital media factory?

--

Terry V.

Recognizing Bluray DVD Drive W[_3_] Storage (alternative) 1 May 18th 10 07:22 PM
bluray Fixer Dell Computers 2 February 6th 09 07:42 PM
BluRay on older system smirks General 11 September 11th 08 07:58 PM
BluRay on older system smirks Homebuilt PC's 11 September 11th 08 07:58 PM
media player question [email protected] Storage (alternative) 0 September 29th 06 12:04 PM