NF7-S Northbridge fan

Old January 13th 06, 05:05 AM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Default NF7-S Northbridge fan

hello,

my northbridge fan hasnt worked since i bought the board, yet the
system runs nice and stable. but summer is here, and heat is becoming a
worry, so i attempted to see what was wrong with it.

turns out, the heatsink is too tightly screwed on, preventing the fan
from moving. ive tried and tried, but for the life of me i cant get the
bugger off.

how do the little white pegs come off? do i need to remove the mobo?

Old January 13th 06, 05:30 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

On 12 Jan 2006 20:05:15 -0800, "Vertigo" wrote:

hello,

my northbridge fan hasnt worked since i bought the board, yet the
system runs nice and stable. but summer is here, and heat is becoming a
worry, so i attempted to see what was wrong with it.

turns out, the heatsink is too tightly screwed on, preventing the fan
from moving. ive tried and tried, but for the life of me i cant get the
bugger off.

how do the little white pegs come off? do i need to remove the mobo?

You have to pull the board then squeeze the tips of the white plugs on
the back of the board and push them thru.

You can buy a fanless heatsink
Zalman ZM-NB32J Aluminum Heatsink for about $5 + shipping
from www.directron.com.

Clean the top of the chipset with alcohol , apply new thermal paste
and install the new heatsink. You can install it with the board in
place.

As long as you have decent case air flow, it works as well as the
original and it has no fan to contribute to the racket.

Lenster

You know you've been on the computer too long when...
You start double clicking the TV remote!

Remove YourNightgown to reply by email
Old January 14th 06, 07:36 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

[...]

You can always cut the top off the pins with a pair of cutters and push them through, assuming of course you have a
pair to put back in, the Zalman chipset cooler comes with replacement pins, and if in the UK Maplins also sell them. A
lot easier than removing the mobo.

I hate noisy systems and have gone to much trouble to make it very quiet and at the same time cool running, I run a
Nforce4 chipset which gets really hot. I tried the Zalman -NB47J passive cooler, but I was not too comfortable with the
chipset temperatures I was getting. It would burn your fingers if held there for more than a few of seconds, which was
surprising as the system otherwise is pretty cool running, ie. 120mm back and front, and also 92mm side fan. CPU temp
idles around 29c, though it does have a massive Zalman 9500 cooler on my X2 4400 OCed to just under 5k.

In the end I made my own passive chipset heatsink out of a old cpu heatsink, more than double the size of the NB47J
though I did have to shape it using the dremel so it cleared components on the board.

Generally as long as you dont overclock and the system case cooling is reasonable one of the small Zalman chipset
coolers will be fine, I know a few users who have simply just unplugged the fan and not had any problems, though I
would not recommend ones does this on a Nforce4 chipset.

Mike

Mike

You know you've been on the computer too long when...
You start double clicking the TV remote!

Remove YourNightgown to reply by email

How do I interpret Northbridge status codes? Timur Tabi General 1 December 21st 04 12:46 AM
GA-8KNXP Ultra Northbridge fan - is this normal Andrew Wasielewski Gigabyte Motherboards 2 October 10th 03 12:53 AM
Old A7V lockup problem with Northbridge? grendel General 1 July 24th 03 06:02 PM
Old A7V lockup problem with Northbridge? grendel Asus Motherboards 2 July 24th 03 06:02 PM
Northbridge heatsink fell off!! $@#$% Kai Challai Abit Motherboards 1 July 18th 03 10:10 PM