my NF7 S2 MBRD doesn't see US Keyboard pressing F8 to get Windows menu

Old June 26th 06, 09:47 AM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Default my NF7 S2 MBRD doesn't see US Keyboard pressing F8 to get Windows menu

My NF7 S2 MBRD doesn't see US Keyboard pressing F8 to get Windows menu

I flashed the BIOS, but still, the problem remains.

what is going wrong?

did the flash not contain an update for that?!

Old June 26th 06, 03:05 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 01:47:08 -0700, q_q_anonymous wrote:

My NF7 S2 MBRD doesn't see US Keyboard pressing F8 to get Windows menu

I flashed the BIOS, but still, the problem remains.

what is going wrong?

did the flash not contain an update for that?!

That has nothing to do with the bios. You have to press F8 during Windows
boot, or is it F5. Don't recall. Haven't used windows in a few years.

Old June 26th 06, 05:56 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

--

hmm. seems my B button wasn't working. USB=USB

Of course it's F8
Read what I wrote, I said "doesn't see USB Keyboard pressing F8"

Anyhow, you don't seem to be able to think of any possible solutions.

Old June 26th 06, 09:14 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:56:24 -0700, q_q_anonymous wrote:

Wes Newell wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 01:47:08 -0700, q_q_anonymous wrote:

My NF7 S2 MBRD doesn't see US Keyboard pressing F8 to get Windows menu

I flashed the BIOS, but still, the problem remains.

what is going wrong?

did the flash not contain an update for that?!

That has nothing to do with the bios. You have to press F8 during Windows
boot, or is it F5. Don't recall. Haven't used windows in a few years.

hmm. seems my B button wasn't working. USB=USB

Of course it's F8
Read what I wrote, I said "doesn't see USB Keyboard pressing F8"

You didn't write "USB", you wrote only "US". Big difference.:-)

Had it originally said USB, I would have said to check the bios for
proper settings to allow USB KB.

Anyhow, you don't seem to be able to think of any possible solutions.

And you didn't seem able to type what you were thinking. The solution
should be in the bios settings for USB KB support, or not.

Old June 26th 06, 11:24 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Wes Newell wrote:
[...]

you're right.

I had checked the bios settings, so many times in the past but hadn't
seen anything. Though this time round I have.

It's a Phoenix Award BIOS . Under the "Integrated Peripherals" section.
Then Under "OnChip PCI Device" , it lists about enabling USB either in
the BIOS or OS. Mine was set to OS. Now is set to BIOS

Here's a similar "integrated peripherals" . on my comp it's minus the
SiS
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/2...gperiph1st.jpg

Very unclearly designed. Integrated PCI device is the last place i'd
look under.

The hint for me was looking for a phoenix bios simulation to see if the
option was in the simulation. I found
http://appro.mit.jyu.fi/tools/biossimu/simu.html , there the option
was explicitly in "integrated peripherals". So I checked my "integrated
peripherals" section, the option was hidden away as a sub option of
something obscure and unrelated to USB. But it was there!

thanks

Old June 29th 06, 09:29 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Wes Newell wrote:
[...]

Phoenix has owned Award for years now so it's all one company. You
would think this might lead to some standardization in the terms used
for BIOS options and how they were organized.

Nope, instead every new MB comes complete with a 'built-in game' as
you try and find what they are calling the options now, which menu
they decided to place them in THIS time, and what hidden submenus
exist and what technique is used to reveal them.

Have fun!
Old June 29th 06, 11:43 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Wes Newell wrote:
[...]

Indeed! and for the sake of documenting these annoyances, I'll add that
I saw a BIOS (i'm sure it was Phoenix Award) . Where you had to Hold
Down "the Down arrow"- scrolling down, to get to the USB options in the
power management screen. It wasn't obvious that you could scroll down.
I'm not used to that in a BIOS!