Abit GD8 motherboard - opinions?

Old January 18th 06, 10:22 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Default Abit GD8 motherboard - opinions?

I'm looking to buy a motherboard with four DDR (not DDR2) RAM slots,
which supports PCI Express x16, has at least one normal PCI slot and
several normal PCI or PCIe x1 slots for future expansion, has at least
two standard IDE channels (to take at least four non-serial ATA
devices) and supports my Intel P4 Socket 775 CPU.

The Abit GD8 appears to fit the bill nicely, but does anyone have any
good or bad experience of this board?

The web is devoid of any reviews or opinions on this motherboard, or so
Google suggests!

Any feedback on it, or a recommendation of an alternative board that
meets my requirements and is better than this one, is welcome - thanks
in advance!

Paul
Old January 22nd 06, 03:01 AM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Your searching for a Socket 775 CPU mainboard would be as good as mine.
Na Da. I could understand that you would like to use your Socket 775
CPU, but with my experience of searching for mainboards, you will not
find what you want in a 775 mainboard. I liked the Abit Socket 939 CPU,
AT8 mainboard w/ Radeon 200, RD480 chipset & ULi M1575 Southbridge.
Abit ran into problems with testing the AT8 back in September/October,
so they temporairly took them off the market. Maybe they ran into
problems because it is their first mainboard with ATI Chipsets. Now, in
Febuary/March, they will release another mainboard w/ the ATI RD580
Chipset (I hope they use the ULi M1575 Southbridge so I can take
advantage of Native Command Queuing). The RD480 was Integrated
Graphics, and the RD580 will be Discrete Graphics. Almost all Mainboard
manufacturers will be going back to Discrete Graphics anyway, Discrete
Graphics will make it easier for most users to switch over to Microsoft
VISTA without too much expense. So I'm gald they had problems with the
RD480(s), because I probably would have bought one before finding
out about the RD580(s) to be released. If you are interested in the
mainboard like I'm getting next month, keep in touch.
Gold Fingers

Motherboard Opinions Jamie General 11 February 18th 05 08:32 PM
Abit bh6 motherboard current era videocard options Don Lindbergh Ati Videocards 7 May 31st 04 07:03 PM
Opinions on P4 motherboard Slacker General 6 May 25th 04 04:27 AM
Q: Abit ATI Radeon 9800XT Opinions Eyman Ati Videocards 1 February 6th 04 03:16 AM
Opinions on 120GB HDD, DVD writer and dual p3 motherboard Alien Zord General 0 June 23rd 03 08:50 AM