Cannot install over 3GB on AW8 Max (meant to support 8GB!)

Old December 12th 05, 09:23 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.abit

Default Cannot install over 3GB on AW8 Max (meant to support 8GB!)

I have four 1GB memory modules (GEIL PC5300 667MHZ latency 3,4,4,8) and an Abit AW8 Max motherboard, with a Pentium D 2.8GHz CPU.

I can install any 3 of these memory modules into any 3 of the slots, and it works fine.

If I install all 4 at once, I get POST code 4E on the motherboard's POST code LED display, and the screen stops at the point where it displays the CPU type.

(POST 4E is: Program MTRR of M1 CPU, Initialize L2 cache for P6 class CPU & program CPU with proper cacheable range, Initialize the APIC for P6 class CPU, on MP platform adjust the cacheable range to smaller one incase the cacheable ranges between each CPU are not identical).

I've also noticed that in the BIOS setup, if I leave it to auto detect everything, I get weird values:
CPU FSB 204 MHz (should be 200)
Memory speed 350 = DDR2 700MHz (should be 333 = DDR2 667MHz)
Memory latencies 4,4,4,10 (should be 3,4,4,8).

I tried manually entering the correct values, but I still get 3GB working and 4GB not working.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set.
Old December 14th 05, 10:47 AM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.abit

Hi,

There is a note in the manual (section 2.3) to say the chipset won't
recognise all the memory if there are 4 x 1GB.

Eddie

news

--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Save the whales. Collect the whole set.

Old December 14th 05, 08:04 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.abit

Nevermind recognise, it won't even boot! The max memory the board will take is *8* GB not 4, so why are you suggesting 4 is a problem? Also while I now have 3GB in the machine, windows shows 2.75GB!!! What is going on here?

Abit tech support replied very promptly and suggested I up the memory voltage. Not sure why Ithis would help, but I'll give it a go when I have the time.

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:47:01 -0000, Eddie wrote:

[...]

The drunk staggered up to the hotel reception and demanded his room be changed.
"But sir," said the clerk, "you have the best room in the hotel."
"I insist on another room!!" said the drunk.
"Very good, sir. I`ll change you from 502 to 555. Would you mind telling me why you don't like 502?" asked the clerk.
"Well, for one thing," said the drunk, "it's on fire."
Old December 15th 05, 10:08 AM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.abit

Hi again,

It's an Intel chipset limitation, nothing to do with max memory. There is
simply a problem with 4Gb. If you put in 2 x 2Gb extra instead of 2 x 1Gb, I
don't think you will have a problem.
I think I found something to this effect on Intel site but I can't remember
where.

Old December 15th 05, 08:29 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.abit

Are you saying 4GB = 3.5GB, but 5GB = 5GB?

Plus, I've currently got 3GB = 2.75GB. Weird.

wrote:

Hi,

There is a note in the manual (section 2.3) to say the chipset won't
recognise all the memory if there are 4 x 1GB.

Eddie

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
news I have four 1GB memory modules (GEIL PC5300 667MHZ latency 3,4,4,8) and
[...]

NEWSFLASH!!! Bouncing elephantiasis woman destroys central Portsmouth
Old December 20th 05, 07:24 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.abit

Hi,

I believe that's correct.
1+1+1+1=3.x but,
2+2+2+2=8
2 + 2 = 4
1+1+2+2=6 and so on.

Old December 20th 05, 11:52 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.abit

That's even more confusing. Why would 1+1+1+1 be different from 2+2?

wrote:

Hi again,

It's an Intel chipset limitation, nothing to do with max memory. There is
simply a problem with 4Gb. If you put in 2 x 2Gb extra instead of 2 x
1Gb, I
don't think you will have a problem.
I think I found something to this effect on Intel site but I can't
remember
where.

Eddie

news Nevermind recognise, it won't even boot! The max memory the board will

wrote:

[...]

It turns out that a several protected, rare birds in Germany have been feeding on a species of protected, rare fish. In response to this dilemma, exasperated German officials have decided to do the only thing that makes sense in this kind of a situation - kill all the environmentalists.
Old January 1st 06, 05:12 PM posted to alt.comp.mainboards.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.abit

Hi Peter,
That's what Eddie is trying to explain. Theoretically there is no difference
but in the real world the chipset may not like the 1+1+1+1 combo. Google
and you may find the answer.
--
TallyHo!
Ed