memory

Old August 19th 03, 01:19 AM
kony

Default memory

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:25:38 -0500, "Rigamonk"
wrote:

I have added a stick of 256mb memory to my desktop, but it only reads
190mb. Is this a BIOS issue?
how do I resolve it?

thanks,
patrick

It'd help a bit if we knew the details about the system, memory, like
motherboard make, model, or preferably the chipset on it.

Memory density, or number of chips on it.

"Usually" the situation you're encountering is due to a motherboard
chipset not supporting modern high-density memory. In these
situations you'd want to find (usually PC100) 256MB memory with 16
chips on it, which are typically more expensive these days.

Dave
Old August 19th 03, 08:23 AM
Martin

"Rigamonk" wrote in message
news:20030818.182535.1172755590.1698@removethishot mail.com...
I have added a stick of 256mb memory to my desktop, but it only reads
190mb. Is this a BIOS issue?
how do I resolve it?

thanks,
patrick

Are you using a motherboard with on-board video?
If so, maybe the 'lost' RAM is being used as Video Memory.

Martin.

Old August 20th 03, 07:04 PM
James

"Rigamonk" wrote in message
news:20030818.182535.1172755590.1698@removethishot mail.com...
I have added a stick of 256mb memory to my desktop, but it only reads
190mb. Is this a BIOS issue?
how do I resolve it?

thanks,
patrick

wrong type of memory? - probably not, just thought I would through it in - I
would say best bet is shared graphics is using it

Old August 20th 03, 08:07 PM
Rigamonk

In article , "James"
wrote:

"Rigamonk" wrote in message
news:20030818.182535.1172755590.1698@removethishot mail.com...
I have added a stick of 256mb memory to my desktop, but it only reads
190mb. Is this a BIOS issue?
how do I resolve it?

thanks,
patrick

wrong type of memory? - probably not, just thought I would through it in
- I would say best bet is shared graphics is using it

I would I determine if shared graphics is using the mem? I do not see a
setting in the bios setup program. I am running Linux on it right now,,
so perhaps there is some setting in the OS? (Ill look for this)

thanks for the help
patrick
Old August 21st 03, 12:12 AM
kony

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:20:29 GMT, kony wrote:

snip

So basically only half of the new module
is being used... 64MB + ( .5 * 256MB) = 190MB

Errrr, my math is a little off.. it wasn't meant as a literal
equation, just an example approximating the amount of memory
reportedly being seen by the system, and how it might've arrived at a
oughly ~190MB figure.

Dave