Skybuck's adventure with the Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 123.5 GB ;)

Old November 16th 04, 02:01 PM
The Other Guy.

Got a 160 gig SATA, i have no probs with it or will.

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:07:25 +0100, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

Oh-Oh Lol

Could this be the first sign of trouble

The silver package was closed, I opened it... turned the drive up side
down... and on the label it reads:

"Assembly made in malaysia"

That's the famous location of all the bad deskstars ?

Well I plan on using this drive for "games, movies, applications" stuff like
that...

I'll keep my critical data on my other drive and on backups =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message news:...
Well,

I just received my deskstar 7k250 harddisk via the mail

It took 27 hours from ordering to delivery lol..

Amazing =D

I payed 91.47 euro's for it. I told the delivery boy to keep the last 3

euro
cents

That's even cheaper then the website mentioned.. I though I had to pay 105
euro's or something.

And 91 is including 19% taxes

Now I am going to write down as much information about it as possible and
store it on my other drive I case I need it sometime... I am also keeping
everything I case I need to send it back or something was hopefully won't
happen

And I will also print out a copy =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

Man, internet is changing the way I buy hardware - Me loving it =D

I think my next purchase will be a nice Flatscreen TFT Eizo monitor.

I just read a nice pc magazine which my mother gave to me... before I
left... thanks mom !

24 TFT's were compared and the Eizo L568 was one of the best but also a

bit
pricey... but heck that's worth it for a monitor since you constantly have
to look at it and I don't want crappy visuals or *horror* broken
pixels... It also has 5 years of warranty/garantee etc

My very first crt monitor was an eizo

My very first tft monitor will be an eizo =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 16th 04, 02:21 PM
Skybuck Flying

Hmmm but maybe that's only the assembly ? whatever that is ?

Probably the metal casing or something ?

The main label reads: "Made in thailand"

Also it's quite disappointing that it did not came with a manual, or screws
to screw it into place.

Fortunately the manual can be downloaded from the net

And fortunately I have some screw lieing around but I am not quite sure if
they ll fit right.

I would have felt more safe if the drive simply came with 3,4 or 6 screws

Is that too much to ask for ?

Now all I got extra are these crappy silica gel balls

Old November 16th 04, 02:26 PM
John

Sounds like you bought an OEM drive (meant for PC assemblers who already get
the screws with the case).

The retail drives come with screws, manuals etc but cost more

Old November 16th 04, 02:31 PM
Skybuck Flying

Well I just examined the drive and it contains three chips on the outside:

Middle chip (medium size):

IBM
TAIWAN
SPRCBM 81
L2000TTQT
97P8151
1L2000TTQGE

Right chip (large size):

Infineon

13GO196
SAB-M3054D12

FRKRSI
Copyright mark INFINEON02
EL410042

Side ways at right: 0423

Left chip upside down (little size):

4D454DC
08K2590
MALAYSIA

This last chip could sign trouble

If these things get to hot who knows what might happen

Old November 16th 04, 02:35 PM
Skybuck Flying

Also there are a lot of little dents and scratches on the bottom back black
metal casing etc...

But maybe that's normal... like production process and paint/metal draying
or something.

The top silver plate is free of scratches except at one screw there are a
few little scratches...

So far it looks in good shape though =D

Not like somebody has been throwing with it lol

Bye,
Skybuck

Old November 16th 04, 02:40 PM
Cuzman

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

" I just received my deskstar 7k250 harddisk via the mail "

Is that to go with your PII 450Mhz and GeForce FX5200 that you run all the
latest games on?

Old November 16th 04, 07:43 PM
Skybuck Flying

Wow boys and girls,

I just finished installing my new harddisk and formatting it... wow that
took long.

Here are some things I "walked" against

1. First as I mentioned the drive had no screw with it.

This lead to some painfull problems. First I was lucky that there is a local
store which has screws (for free even !) So I went to the store and got 6
screws.

I got back him.. and the rings on screws where to tight... to near each
other... That means the screws simply "fall" through the wholes in the
drive... and they were very hard to get out.

I was constantly trying to wriggle them out and saying to myself: "stay
cool, don't drop the harddisk and the ****ing floor or I will kill you
myself" So I tried placing it on the table... then sometimes on my knees
etc...

I was very, very, very lucky that the "bad" screw was in a hole that was not
inside the drive... so both ends of the whole were accessable to me... so
then I simply pushed the screw out... this was actually after testing the
screw... I was hard enough just getting the screw out while holding the
drive in my hands...

The real struggle was getting the "disk drive" out and the brand new
harddisk out of the "5 year old metal casing"... few...

Well after all this struggling (not the mention the ****ed up 5 year old big
tower case design with screws in hard to reach places ) I took a loooongg
hard look at the wholes inside the drive and then I knew exactly what kind I
screws I needed... I even had 2 other screws which fit perfectly.

So now I go back to the store for a second time.. and this time I get 8
screws so I can scrrrrew both my harddisk in.

Well the big tower 5 year old casing is pretty bad... like I said... so now
the struggle became to get the drives in... well this time I had part of the
metal case out... etc...

And this is what I did:

For now I have decided to remove the diskdrive. Because otherwise the
harddisk would have just 1 millimeter of air between them ?!?! I think that
would be totally unacceptable since I think that could cause overheat of the
chips... especially the master drive which is in the top and is my old
drive...

So now the drives have 1 centimer of air between them.

I also touched both drives and they are pretty hot... they are so hot that
you just don't get burned by them.

So I think my choice of 1 centimeter of air between them is a wise choice.

The stupid/ironic thing is that I have lot's and lot's of unused space in my
big tower... but I can't place the harddisk their because those slots are
too big !

Well enough bitching about my bad big 5 year old tower case.

The cd rom drive is at the top... so I could not attach the second drive
(the new drive) as a master to the second ide cable.

That means that both drives are now on the same ide cable... the old drive
being the master and the new drive being the slave.

I think this could hurt performance a little but not much I can do about it
at the moment.. I am just glad that everything is working.

Though I could try and move the plextor cd drom drive to the bottom slot...
and then I could probably put each hd on it's on bus/ide cable

Yes this will work since the ide cable for the cd rom is very long and also
has two plugs on it just like the other cable now

So that was the first part of it.

Now comes a scary part...

The moment of truth... I booted up my pc... and BAM... the PC simply turned
off !

I was like: "oh my god ?!" I did I just frie/short circuit my whole god
damn computer ?!

OH NO !.... Oh goddamn no ****ing way.. ok that's it... I am dead

That's what I thought at first.... oh man I was thinking **** if it's really
dead... I ll just have to go buy a new pc now... maybe the HD's will still
work and I can plug them into the new pc...

Anyway... I pulled all the cables out etc... and checked the PC.

It turned out that the "power on/off" button was a bit malfunctioning...
etc... I tried pushing/turning it on while there was no power... It felt
like the button didn't stick.

I just couldn't believe that I just ****ed up my power on/power off
switch...

Probably because I put the pc on it's front side... so that the harddisk
didn't fell down etc while installing.

So now I was thinking to myself:

"OH my god !! Just my ****ing luck... noooo I just ****ed up my power
button... no no no no **** what a bad luck...."

But then I decided to give it around try...

Oh my god I was scared ****less... lol... I was like oh my god... what if I
frie my computer for real this time ?

What if the computer was wise and turned immediatly off to prevent a melt
down....

If I turn it on now.. I might make it worse....

But I thought to myself... oh my ****ing god ! I can't life 1 day without my
P.C. ?!

I have got to risk it ! =D

Risk it... all fry it now and buy a new pc... or simply life on ! =D

So now I pressed the power button again (after having a little bit of
practice with the button with the power cables disconnected )

Fewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww this time the computer booted up into the boot/setup
menu.

The asus motherboard/bios/cmos said that the last time that the PC booted...
the CPU overheated or something or was running at too high clock speed...

Anyway... I was used to this since this rarely happens but it was no big
deal.

I was kinda glad that it went directly into the boot menu....

Well not comes the third and last part of the story...

The asus motherboard/bios worked perfectly in retrospect... I had no doubt
about it that it was working perfectly.. since it indicated the size
perfectly.

So now I booted into my "boot loader" System Commander 7.

I choosed... windows xp.

Now I booted to windows xp.

Windows xp automatically detected the harddisk etc...

Then I said installed new driver for harddisk.

And that was it.

So now I went to my computer... but no extra drive letter ? oh ****.

Well I didn't know what to do at this point... normally in dos/windows 98 I
would run fdisk... so
I went to windows xp dos and typed fdisk... "invalid command"

**** no fdisk ?! wtf do I do now

So I thought maybe it's bios problem... so I rebooted a couple of times...
changing things in the bios...

Like disabling the diskdrive.. since I thought maybe A: is taking the place
of the new harddisk or something.. nope that's wasn't it.

So I tried setting the second drive from auto to LBA... nope still nothing..
I noticed how the bios said
PIO 4 and DMA 4 I was like whole **** ?! DMA 4 ?! Like Ultra DMA 4 ? huh
whole **** isn't that supposed to be really ****ing fast ? My old drive is
only DMA 2....

I was really amazed/surprised that my 3 or 4 year old asus motherboard
actually supported it or something... I am not even sure if it fully
supports it.

Euhm oh yeah there was one weird thing... the bios warns:

"For DMA" (or was it UDMA ? I can't remember)

"For DMA 4 a 80 pin shielded cable is needed"

Euh I was like huh ? wtf I dont have that I my computer I think... ?!

I just have these old big width grey cables.. with like 17 x 2 holes.

I also tried DMA 2 or something... I think the drive was not even detected
on boot up... but I am not sure heheh.

Anyway I decided the bios was not the problem and simply set the mode to
AUTO (detect).

That worked just fine from the start...

Now I though hmmm maybe system commander 7 is the problem... or maybe I can
use system commander 7 to partition the drive etc...

No luck there I think... sc7 did not even detect the second drive ?

So I had to find out if the drive was really working and "detectable" by
windows...

So fortunately I had windows 98 also on the system... I was actually
thinking the other day of removing it for more space hahahahahaha lol... now
I was glad it was still there...

So now I could boot into windows 98 and run fdisk... fdisk did detect the
information after I choose to switch to another fixed disk... I did display
the size wrongly but at least now I knew the disk was detectable ( fdisk
also required large disk support to be enable I simply said yes ... also
the weird thing was that windows 98 kinda forgot my drivers or something...
weird at boot oh well. )

All this time I knew it would work somehow since I already read that one has
to do a special partioning with windows xp... I just didn't know how.

So... having a long day behind me I decided to give it one last try...
surely it couldn't be that hard...

So I simply googled for: "partitioning a harddisk with windows xp"

The first result was the microsoft website.. which ofcourse was wwwwaay to
technical and boring the read and probably not the answer I seeked... -
typical.

The next result was just perfect and explained very simply what I needed to
do... though that was not quite the end of it

It went something like this:

Step 1. Right click on my computer.

Step 2. Select manage --- ohhhhhh I thought I never even noticed that
option... ohhhh neww stuff for me what the hell does that mean
"manage"... "manage my computer" huh weird...

Anyway... the next step is the final step almost

Step 3. Select disk manager. (something like that in the tree )

Ok now the real cool part was how the website explained with this as bill
gates would say "neato" tool can do

Like "switch between primary partitions to boot into another os" -- oooh
cool I thought but that's not what I want lol... I don't wanna end up with
an unbootable system lol few a bit dangerous hehe.

So I was like maybe I should wait until tomorrow I am bit tired I might ****
it up and take stupid decisions...

I was like no man **** it... i just need one big partition and format it
etc... how hard can that be...

well fortunately it wasn't hard at all

Well first I must say that first the tool didn't work.

"Local Disk Manager blablaba not started"

I thought heheheheeh funny... the services...

No big deal I just go to adminstrive tools, services... enable it... and
start the local disk manager adminstrive blabla... that solved the problem..
now the tool worked =D (after reopening the manage thing I think or
first clicked something else and then reclicked the disk manager so that
it reloaded or something so it worked. )

It went something like this:

The wizard which automatically started said something like

1. Which drive to you want to initialize ? (Disk1 was the only possibility
(disk 0 is old disk) )
2. Which drive do you want to convert ? ( none ! )

Wow ok... now were in bussiness

The physical disk 1 now changed to "free space" or something.

Quite a beautifull program actually.

I could also see my old disk and partitions funny hehehe.

Anyway...

Now the next steps were simply

1. Create an extended partition

2. Create an logical partition

3. Format it...

( I simply choose maximum size.... )

Well the formatting took quite long I choose not to do a quick format...
since I don't know if that's safe/smart for a new disk... anyway at least
now I know that it is properly formatted

Well so far I can't tell if they drive is actually "active/working" heheh..
it's that quiet ?!?!?!

But don't take my word for it just yet... I haven't even giving it a test
spin yet... just a format...

Euh... I don't know if formatting normally makes noise... but in this case
it almost made no noise at all.. expect for a weak humming sound - and this
was with the case open

Yes for now I believe that my old drive is actually 10 to 100 times more
noise than the new drive...

But as I said I am not certain yet...

The funny thing is... how do I know which drive makes which noise ?

I would need to shutdown or not use my old drive for that I guess..

Buttttt I am smarter than that

I know exactly how my old drive sounds... and currently that's the only
typical sound I hear.

For some reason I am still a bit scared to give the new drive a test run...
lol

I am just so scared that it will burn through or so.. that it might destroy
my old drive that is on top...

So I'll have to think what I am goind to do about that

Maybe I will copy some critical files to the new drive just as an extra
backup in case the old drive fails

But I am not going to do that yet

I am definetly not going to **** up my new drive so fast with my "critical
junk" which is like 100.000+'s of files little onces

I can do two things... I can winzip them... or I can use the "filedisk" tool
which is a free/open source tool made by someone... but somebody else said
it has a memory leak or something so I don't completely trust it... anyway
for those who are interested... with filedisk you can "create an image file"
on your drive and then simply "mount/unmount" it as an extra drive and
format it etc... and the cool thing is you can have many drives like this...
the bad thing is probably that it can't be resized... if it could be resized
I would use it... definetly ! The reason: maybe better NTFS performance
since now there are multiple master tables like a filesystem in a file in
a filesystem in a file in filesystem...
or multiple filesystems in parallel with filedisk this is all possible

Anyway... the *VERY* first thing that I am going to put on my new harddisk
is a BIG GIGANT 4 GIGABYTE MOOOVVVVIIEEEEE =DDD:

Which I will simply download with bittorrent....
wieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeee

YES YES YES YES YES YES

That's like the "hail mary" that's like the "opening of the harddisk" that's
like the "doping of the harddisk as we say in dutch" ( I think you know what
I mean )

YES YES YES YES YES

Then after that... it will probably simply delete it as always and then the
harddisk has officially been taking into *use* by
meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!

Ohhhh yeah... I already know what the second thing is that I will put on my
new disk...

Half Life 1 !!!!! yes I haven't played it yet...

I downloaded it... it was like 350 MB (+counterstrike) or so ?

But it used WISE installation wizard and just the installation program
itself required something like an additional 350 MB for temp files or
something ?!?! or maybe even 700 MB..

And then the game itself required another 1.3 GB ?!

Holycrap.. that was like 2 GB !

I had 1.1 GB free after freeing some space but still not enough.. and on the
other drive FAT32 for windows 98... I had 400 MB free or so and the
pagefile.sys was there too...

So there was no way I was going to install it ever lol...

I did mention to install Doom 3 a while back.. which required 2 GB... but
somewhere these past few months 900 MB simply got scatter all over the place
into little stuff I guess hehehehehehheeheh.

YEAH !!!!

So now I am going to bed.

I am going to pray to LORDS OF HITACHI... to have Mercery on my soul !!!!
and to GRAND ME a NICE JUICY FAST RELIABLE NOT TO MUCH HEAT harddisk....

So that I can play play play play with my PC ! that actually fricking
rhymes hahaha.

I better copyright it yes... there ^^^ Copyright (2004) Skybuck Flying :P
^^^ =D

That's not official my trademark lol.. my marketing yell :P

PLAYYYYYYY, PLAYY WITH YOUR PC hehehahahahah

Oh man... I tell you one more personal story.. yesterday after I ordered to
pc I think I just went for some (delicious by the way) fries and I smiled at
the girl and the girl said ohhhhhh you in a good mood... First time I seen
that girl there... but I am always in a good mood... and I always smile to
people that sell my fries.. because they so jummy heheheheheheh.

But I was like: "who me ?" she: "yes you... your mouth went like
---------------- " hahahahahahahahahahah

Well you wanna seeeee me realllllyy happy ?!?!?!?! look at this post !!!!
now that;s happpppppyyy !!! =D: :P:P:P:

Sigh...
Life Long and prosper my beautifull new HD :P*** slurp.

Bye,
Skybuck.

P.S.: And I wish you all a merry merry long living hd ! and a happy happy
fast new read and write !

Old November 16th 04, 08:08 PM
Skybuck Flying

"Cuzman" wrote in message
"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

" I just received my deskstar 7k250 harddisk via the mail "

Is that to go with your PII 450Mhz and GeForce FX5200 that you run all the
latest games on?

No, little correction PIII 450 mhz and GeForce FX5200.

Ok man it's a slow system.. and I am seriously thinking about getting a new
system.

And I think I have found the way to do just that

The way: By slow transition.... yeah man.

I just hate buying a brand new pc with every on it etc... that's just so
****ing boring... you know...

Like that's INFORMATION/POSSIBILITY/POWER OVERLOAD !!!

Man I can't handle so much new ****ing horse power and possibility I'll go
insane ?! hehehehe.

Not to mention all the other ****ing lazy problems of software
installment... I am not ready yet to do the "backup HD, clone HD, back to
HD" blabla or "start over and waste 2 or 3 years of windows xp tuning and
**** like that... ok it's not really two years.. but my XP is running better
than ever...

Just thinking about a new windows xp "default" installement.. oh my god that
makes me puck !

Don't get me wrong windows xp is a fantastic operating system.. the default
settings are just screwed beyond any acceptable norm

Ok why I am bitch slapping hehehehehehe.

Well I think it would be MUCH MUCH more fun... to "hand pick" every single
component and just slowly transform my old pc into a super new PC yeah baby
!

Firstly I am getting rid of this liyama vague, dark, ****ed up
constrast/gamma blaablabla monitor hehehehehehe.

And that would actually be pretty much to see how my current "crappy"
looking visuals would look like an an new HIGH QUALITY TFT MONITOR !!! oh my
man just think about the possibilities !

Now I am completely used to this old ****ty monitor which survived me well
of the years...

So then the difference will be interesting.

I see possibilities:

1. OH MY GOD THIS NEW TFT ****ING RULES AND MAKES EVERYTING LOOK SO
BEAUTIFULL OH MY GOD lol.. it's the exact same system but with new TFT ! get
the point ?!

or

2. OH MY GOD my system still looks like crap with this new TFT oh my god..
it;s actually 10x times more ****ing worse... look at the ****ing ghosting
oh my god... hehehe. that would be interesting.

Oh man now that I have tasted "buying hardware via internet" and exactly the
stuff that I went I just can't stop... nononononon this is just perfect for
me... no car..(dont wanna get killed ya know) I am lazy.. don't wanna drive
the whole planet over... no just let them deliver it to meeeee/my "house".

Yeah.

Oh my god...

That will be the PERFECT test..

I always play RTCW... yeah.. sometimes it rusn 15 to 24 fps.. outside...
indoors it runs sometimes even 80 FPS....

I am used to it like no other game on the face off the planet... I have
played it for 3 years on TNT2... and now for a few months on a FX5200... it
actually looks pretty much the same.. since I play on low details anyway for
maximum performance.. and it's an old game anyway... it doesn't use the
fancy ****. like pixel shaders and T&L and **** like that hehehehehehe.

Oh boy... that will be something.

As soon as I have the TFT first I am going to play RTCW to see if I can
notice any ghosting... there will probably be some.. but hopefully not to
much

And then of yes boys and girls... then I will install Doom 3 demo I think...
maybe even full...

Just to see the new improved contrast/gamma.... the my old monitor is ****ed
up beyond all regcnoization. whatever... I have to set gamma artitically
high to see dead bodies in the shadows and stuff like while on other pc's I
can simply see them. and the game was beautifull on other pc's... but the
other pc's didn;t have a geforce fx5200... the other pc had a radeon 9000.
ok it weren't pc's but just 2 hehehe.

But I will bet your ass that doom 3 looks much better on the fx5200 then on
the radeon 9000.

Yeah 50% of the reason is probably because I ****ed up the graphics settings
on the radeon machine with very manual/specific settings... but I have
noticed how the radeon has many many drivers bugs in all kind of games...
for example in doom 3... the "bad dude's face" isn't light right...

the left side of his face is white... and the right side of his face is like
grey... and you can see a line running across it's face from top to
bottum... ok maybe I can't remember if the fx had the same problem.

But I can't tell you one thing.... I made a lot of screenshots on the fx5200
and on the radeon 9000.

And to be totally honest... I like the fx5200 screenshots much better than
the radeon 9000 screenshots.

The fx5200 screenshots truely have this cinematic look to it.

There is definetly some truth in that.

I will definetly buy into nvidia's cinefx 3.0 or something like that. I
don't know precisely what it's called... but something like that.... it
works it gives a bit more cinematic feel/look to it....

I can clearly see that in the screenshots... sure maybe I am just one wacky
****head he just thinks that...

The only way to be absolutely sure would be to take a screenshot of the
exact same position/scene on both computers and then simply look at them
heheheheh.

Though when I played on the radeon 9000 the game look just perfect too.
yeah.. just after I started messing around to see if it would run faster
just to see how fast I could get it.. it ****ed up... even resetting
graphics settings didn't help.. apperently not all settings are resetted...
- eops

Yeah...

I am also thinking about trying the ground control 2 mp demo one more
time...

Hehehe (skybuck drop in leader at position 8 or so.. returns for a one time
beating up of anybody who's there hehehe I always tell them when I check in
and check my score on the faster pc because I have nothing that they are no
match for me... hehehe and then I simply leave.. hehehe yes.. otherwise my
"last played on date" would change... and then all the good players might
think "oh my god is skybuck still playing this... oh my god... and he is
just at ladder position 7 or 8... oh man... what's up.. you should be 1 now
after all this... but ofcourse I haven't/don't play it... wwaaayy to
addictive waaayy to frustating with the ****ing newbs and lamer tactics and
wayyy to frustrating with armies being dumb not responding yaadadadadada"
yeah just a waste a time hehehe... yeah.. when I want strategy I simply
chess on playsite hehehe. no bull****.. no installations... no ****ing
****... no ****ing way.. no ****ing hours of setup... just go and ****up the
opponent within 50 seconds yeah !

Lol...

P.S.: I am not on dope, I am not using cocaine...

I am just staying up waaay to late.. had a busy day and had probably little
sleep as well.

Wtf I am doing writing this **** hehehe.

Probably just for your and my entertainment.

Was it good for you as well lol ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Gotta end it sometime you know

Old November 16th 04, 08:25 PM
Skybuck Flying

Actually the new harddisk might be so quiet that I am actually seriously
thinking about just replacing

The old drive completely with the new drive lol hahahaha.

But for now... I am starting up azerues and tasting the good life of having
lot s of freeeeeeeeee gigabytes of space if ya know what I mean
hahaahahahahahah.

Let that sucker suck it all up overnight

I could give you a tip who to make azerues run better but I wont lol
hahahaha then it might not work for me anymore.... sorry :P

Or maybe it would make it all work better... I dont know... let them
(azureus team or users) figure it
out

Maybe some already know and just keep it a secret heheheheheheh.

Bye,
Skybuck.