ATIAIW750064A card questions...

Old July 11th 03, 04:59 AM
NightRunner

Default ATIAIW750064A card questions...

I'm looking at getting my girlfreind a capture card so that she can
pipe video from our surveillance cam and also from our C-Band system
to her computer monitor. Without getting into details, we have our
reasons for needing this. Anyways, pcprogress.com has the

ATI ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 7500 AGP RETAIL VERSION 64MB DDR

card for $134 US, and I was wondering just how good a card this is.
She presently has a Voodoo 3 AGP card, and only uses the card for
Windows tasks and the occasional Q3A game. Therefore, almost any card
would be an improvement graphics-wise. So long as it meets or exceeds
the Voodoo, then it's fine. What is more of a big deal to me is how
well this thing will capture. I currently have a Visiontek Xtasy
Everything Geforce2 MX400 card in my machine, and despite the
occasional lack of capture software support, I'm pleased enough with
it. If this ATI card meets or exceeds (which I am almost sure it does)
the performance of the Visiontek card, then it sounds perfect for her.

Here's some specifics... Anyone know of any issues I will face with
trying this ATI card in the following machine specs?

Her machine consists of:

Windows 98 (Not SE)
FIC VA-503+ Motherboard
AMD K6-2 400MHz CPU
64MB RAM
~5.5GB free on a 15GB C drive, one HD only

She's got no free IRQs left, which is why I am looking to replace
existing hardware rather than add a capture-only card. The motherboard
only supports AGP 2x. She has a Zoom 56K modem, which when I tried to
install that same model # modem in mine with the Visiontek vid card,
it wouldn't even boot let alone run. It would be good to know if
anyone has heard of similar problems with this ATI card.

Anyways, if anyone could give thier impressions of this card, I'd love
to hear about it. I've got some time yet before I make a move, so of
course I'm also open to suggestions for alternative solutions.
Basically, I just need decent graphics performance and decent capture
and MUST have some ability to display a video source full screen.
Also, it would help if the card does not suffer from Macrovision
insanity like the Visiontek card sometimes can. I had to revert to
older drivers with my Visiontek card or sometimes the Macrovision
wipes out my capturing even just copying camcorder footage.

That's all I know to ask for now... MUCH thanks to anyone who can help
out!!

- NR

"The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical
model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a
universe for the model to describe. Why does the universe go
to all the bother of existing?"

- Stephen Hawking

---------------------------------------
Our Website:
http://niter417.virtualave.net/

Message Boards Main:
http://niter417.virtualave.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Laser Discussion:
http://niter417.virtualave.net/cgi-b...l?board=Lasers

Electronics Discussion:
http://niter417.virtualave.net/cgi-b...aBB.pl?board=3

Winemaking Discussion:
http://niter417.virtualave.net/cgi-b...aBB.pl?board=8

Our Webcam:
http://web.infoave.net/~missy1/cam/webcam.html
Old July 13th 03, 08:20 PM
Andy

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:59:01 -0500, NightRunner
wrote:

I'm looking at getting my girlfreind a capture card so that she can
pipe video from our surveillance cam and also from our C-Band system
to her computer monitor. Without getting into details, we have our
reasons for needing this. Anyways, pcprogress.com has the

ATI ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 7500 AGP RETAIL VERSION 64MB DDR

card for $134 US, and I was wondering just how good a card this is.
She presently has a Voodoo 3 AGP card, and only uses the card for
Windows tasks and the occasional Q3A game. Therefore, almost any card
would be an improvement graphics-wise. So long as it meets or exceeds
the Voodoo, then it's fine. What is more of a big deal to me is how
well this thing will capture. I currently have a Visiontek Xtasy

Your girlfriend's computer isn't powerful enough to capture with the
AIW Radeon 7500 without dropping a not insignificant number of frames,
especially if the computer is used for other tasks while capturing.

Everything Geforce2 MX400 card in my machine, and despite the
occasional lack of capture software support, I'm pleased enough with
it. If this ATI card meets or exceeds (which I am almost sure it does)
the performance of the Visiontek card, then it sounds perfect for her.

Here's some specifics... Anyone know of any issues I will face with
trying this ATI card in the following machine specs?

Her machine consists of:

Windows 98 (Not SE)
FIC VA-503+ Motherboard
AMD K6-2 400MHz CPU

I used to run a very similar system (VA-503A motherboard) with the
original AIW Radeon. The only workable way of capturing was with a
Huappauge WinTV card and Virtualdub using Huffyuv lossless
compression, trading off less CPU usage for a larger capture file. I
could capture with fewer than 10 dropped frames per hour even while
using the computer for other tasks. The only and annoying problem was
an occasional computer lockup while capturing.

64MB RAM
~5.5GB free on a 15GB C drive, one HD only

She's got no free IRQs left, which is why I am looking to replace
existing hardware rather than add a capture-only card. The motherboard
only supports AGP 2x. She has a Zoom 56K modem, which when I tried to
install that same model # modem in mine with the Visiontek vid card,
it wouldn't even boot let alone run. It would be good to know if
anyone has heard of similar problems with this ATI card.

She really should get a modern motherboard to rid herself of interrupt
conflicts.

Anyways, if anyone could give thier impressions of this card, I'd love

I like the card. The image quality is great, and capturing works fine
as long as you have a fast enough computer.

[...]

Asus V9280 AGP video card and Asus P4C 800 motherboard problem Online Traveller Asus Motherboards 1 June 27th 05 06:31 PM
Graphics card questions ewgf General 3 August 28th 04 06:44 PM
Inexpensive graphics card for servers and cluster nodes Oliver Mueller General 2 March 29th 04 10:45 PM
PCI card works, AGP card does not MAKO Overclocking AMD Processors 3 March 5th 04 10:50 PM
Major problems with new graphic card JAD Homebuilt PC's 9 October 12th 03 07:45 PM