Does Dell make its own motherboards?

Old January 11th 05, 02:17 AM
Rob Stow

Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 02:47:47 +1300, Mercury wrote:

2d graphics: The best PCI is up with average AGP.
3d graphics: AGP by leaps and bounds.

Good PCI graphics is hard to come by.
Gosh I remember the day of ISA graphics cards and you could watch windows
draw the drop list of a combo box so sloooowly.

Chances are the onboard graphic would be good for 2d and it would be
expensive to find a PCI card better at 2d. 3d dunno.

It is only now that these flash 3D graphics cards have the
performance of the old Matrox Millenium II on a PCI card
for 2D stuff. The performance of WRAM was still is amazing.
You also get a much better picture with those old Matrox
cards than you do with these modern 3D cards. The RAMDAC
quality is really outstanding. A really good 2D card is a
Millenium II in it's ultra rare AGP configuration.

I second that. I have solved headache and eye strain
problems for a lot of people by switching them over
from an nVidia or ATI card or integrated video to a
Matrox card. Even a PCI version is more than good
enough when you don't need 3D.

In addition to the Millenium II, I would also recommend
the G400, G450, G550, P650, P750, and Parhelia.

I find the quality improvement is impossible to see if
your current video card is providing DVI output to a
DVI LCD, but if your monitor needs an analog input then
Matrox is the only way to go when quality 2D is needed.