Does Dell make its own motherboards?

Old January 3rd 05, 08:14 PM
Gordon Scott

Default Does Dell make its own motherboards?

Lem wrote:

Do all Dell PCs (for the UK market) come with Dell's own
motherboards?

I am thinking of getting a Dell but I don't want to find that it uses
a Dell proprietary motherboard that may have little technical data
available.

ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
quirks.

most every stupid branded maker has proprietry hardware.
Get a clone.
Old January 3rd 05, 08:31 PM
Aosmosis

"Gordon Scott" wrote in message
Lem wrote:

Do all Dell PCs (for the UK market) come with Dell's own
motherboards?

I am thinking of getting a Dell but I don't want to find that it uses
a Dell proprietary motherboard that may have little technical data
available.

ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
quirks.

most every stupid branded maker has proprietry hardware.
Get a clone.

A company called Hon Hai makes them in China

Old January 3rd 05, 09:36 PM
Immuno

"Lem" wrote in message ...
Do all Dell PCs (for the UK market) come with Dell's own
motherboards?

I am thinking of getting a Dell but I don't want to find that it uses
a Dell proprietary motherboard that may have little technical data
available.

ISTR hearing that Dell used a non-standad wiring on the 20 or 24 pin
mobo power connector. And I imagine there may be several other Dell
quirks.

If your ever considering "looking under the bonnet", or peeking at the
BIOS - don't do Dell!

Pete

Old January 4th 05, 12:33 AM
Venom

Anybody that buys a brand name computer is an idiot.
Build it yourself using good brand name hardware and build it the way you
want it. You will be very pleased with the results.

Old January 4th 05, 01:25 AM
FG

Dell does not make its own motherboards.
But they are made to its specifications.

Old January 4th 05, 11:14 AM
GB

"Venom" wrote in message
Anybody that buys a brand name computer is an idiot.

Let's see, now. I've built about 20 PCs in my time. Yet, recently, I have
chosen to buy in some Dell PCs for the office. One reason might be that I
am, as you say, an idiot. The other reason might be that the Dells do the
job I need for the office, and they cost 20% less to buy in ready-built than
the price at which I can buy the parts.

Your generalisation is a bit idiotic.

Old January 4th 05, 04:02 PM
ric

you are an idiot.
say you've got an enterprise company. you supply them with a large
quantity of desktop pcs you've built yourself. these may end up at
various sites, being used at weekends and holidays. you're going to
support them all, are you? on site response with a guaranteed SLA?
you can guarantee exactly the same configuration will be available for
a minimum of say, 3 years, so that their IT guys can standardise a
build image for them, are you?
i build all my own systems and a lot for other people, but for
corporate use you want something with a low Total Cost of Ownership,
not just cheap.

ric