Frustrated with GA-8IK1100 performance....HELP!

Old April 28th 04, 06:07 AM
Rich Heimlich

Well, I solved it, I think but I'm still really confused by what
happened.

Follow this.

I've been running Omega drivers going back to my 8500. Then I got this
machine and kept doing that. I then did the bit of installing the 8500
to see what it could do in this system.

I then noticed I had duplicate tabs in the Settings/Advanced section
of the Display settings. Clearly I'd gone a little nuts installing so
it was time to uninstall and get a fresh start.

I went to Add/Remove Programs and selected Change/Remove on the ATI
Display Drivers. Oddly it came up and showed both the Radeon 9800 Pro
(and 9800 Pro Secondary) AND the 8500 there. Except for one major
difference. Under the 8500 on the columns to the right it noted that
this card was AGP and Primary. Under 9800 Pro it said, "N/A" under
both of those for both 9800 lines.

Now maybe that's just the way it is, but that got me thinking that the
system wasn't using the AGP properly with these drivers. So then I
figured, what the hell. Why not just install the stock ATI drivers and
see what happens.

I removed all the Omega drivers, installed the ATI drivers (blech, now
I have no Direct3D tab with all the known settings) and rebooted.

Everything looked the same and then I ran 3Dmark 2001. The intial
screen is the pickup running down a road. With the 9800 it was always
starting out around 95fps no matter what I did. Now it was at 204fps.
Okay! So then I let it run. End result, 18,168.

But now I have to figure out what the hell is killing the Omega
drivers because I really want to be able to configure my setup that
way.

Meanwhile I have to see if I can cancel the order for the motherboard
I just ordered!

WHY are the Omega drivers failing?
Old April 28th 04, 06:30 AM
Dimitris

Rich Heimlich wrote in message . ..
Guys,

Bit of a surprising update.

I also happen to have a Radeon 8500 here that the Radeon 9800 Pro
replaced. Not sure what this tells me but the results are VERY
interesting.

I decided to try and eliminate the 9800 Pro as a problem by installing
the 8500 and re-installing the drivers. I'm using the Omega drivers
but once XP sees you have a different card it will force a re-install
even though they're unified drivers.

I did all that and the system is up.

I then decided to run 3DMark 2001 as it's a DX8 benchark and the 8500
doesn't do much with DX9 as I recall. So I run the benchmark.

Recall that the 9800 Pro gave me a score around 9400 and clearly that
was well low.

Well, the 8500 is giving me a score of 10518.

Does that pretty much point the finger at the video card?

I'm also wondering about the power supply. It's an Antec True Blue 430
watt supply. I had been a PC Power and Cooling fan forever but
switched to this with the new system as it was handy.

Thoughts? I'd hate to go about replacing the video card only to find
it's the power supply.

And, does this test of mine really even tell us anything?

It might be a virus, thought it would hard for a virus do descriminate
between 8500 and 9800.

So the most possible cause is that AGP doesnt work correctly when you
put Radeon 9800. If you havent have any crashes with 9800 plugged in
then 99% it isnt a power problem.

Run Dxdiag and check at the display tab that AGP acceleration is
enabled. If not, remove all ATi drivers, reboot, install your
motherboard chipset drivers and reboot. Then install ATi drivers,
reboot and run dxdiag again and check. Also from the smartgart tab of
ati check whether agp is on and at which speed.

It might be the horrible case that this combination of motherboard and
radeon9800 cant cooperate to AGP bus.
Old April 28th 04, 06:59 AM
Rich Heimlich

Grrr, not entirely out of the woods yet. 3DMark 2003 has me at 2048
which is the same exact score I got before.....

Perhaps it is power and when 3DMark pushed the card, the card just
isn't getting the power to keep up?
Old April 28th 04, 07:02 AM
Rich Heimlich

And now, 3DMark 2001 is back to its slow mode.... something is REALLY
WRONG.
Old April 28th 04, 07:39 AM
Dimitris

[...]

And do not use omega drivers, they might have compatibility problems
with your motherboard and radeon9800.
Old April 28th 04, 09:55 AM
Morph

Rich,

When in the BIOS, have you tried the Control and F1 buttons, to enter the
performance settings. Page 37 in my manual.

cheers

Morph

"Rich Heimlich" wrote in message
Guys,

I've about had it with my choice in buying this motherboard. Either it
stinks (which I don't think), is defective (possible) or I've goofed
something.

It has never felt any faster than my Athlon XP 1800+ system with 512k
RAM and a Radeon 8500.

I now have this board with a Radeon 9800 Pro and 1GB of Kingston RAM
(I forgot the speed but it was fast when I ordered it 6 months ago,
and was model KVM400 or something like that.) The processor is a
retail P4 2.8GHz.

Anyway, things have felt sluggish so I just ran 3DMark 2001 and 3DMark
2003 and the results are horrible for this setup. They were 9478 and
2048 respectively. Something is NOT right and I've been looking for
months to find the issue.

What could cause such poor performance? I should be seeing double
those numbers at least, especially on the 2003 3DMark.

I'm to a point where if I don't find the solution quickly, as in
today, I'm going to buy a new Socket 478 motherboard and just move
everything over to it.

The only hardware of concern is the Kingston RAM as on the back of it
there's a sticker referring to it as "Value RAM" which doesn't make me
feel very confident about it. If anyone thinks this is the problem or
possibly the problem and the actual model number would help, I'll go
into the system to get it for verification.

ANY help would be appreciated. At this point I'm just pulling my hair
out. The BIOS seems to be set perfectly, XP has been re-installed
several times with performance checked right after installs... Nothing
is really cutting through this problem.

Old April 28th 04, 02:23 PM
Rich Heimlich

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:25:42 +0930, "Morph"
wrote:

When in the BIOS, have you tried the Control and F1 buttons, to enter the
performance settings. Page 37 in my manual.

I use CTRL-F1 all the time, though using "Top Performance" locks up
the system and this is the first motherboard I've had since the 386
days that requires you to pull the battery to clear the CMOS.
Old April 28th 04, 04:34 PM
Dimitris

Rich Heimlich wrote in message . ..
Grrr, not entirely out of the woods yet. 3DMark 2003 has me at 2048
which is the same exact score I got before.....

Perhaps it is power and when 3DMark pushed the card, the card just
isn't getting the power to keep up?

It is obvious that when you run 3dmark 2003 agp bus was disabled.
Reenable agp bus using powerstrip(recommended from
www.entechtaiwan.com) or dxdiag.
Old April 28th 04, 07:05 PM
Rich Heimlich

On 28 Apr 2004 08:34:47 -0700, (Dimitris)
wrote:

It is obvious that when you run 3dmark 2003 agp bus was disabled.
Reenable agp bus using powerstrip(recommended from
www.entechtaiwan.com) or dxdiag.

Every reboot it's being set off something. dxdiag shows it as set but
powerstrip allows me to set it and then when I run 2003 I got 6100.
Any reboot and I'm back a score around 2000.

At least there's progress.