PowerEdge 2100/200 memory compatibility question

Old November 1st 03, 08:02 AM
MyndPhlyp

Default PowerEdge 2100/200 memory compatibility question

I'm (obviously) trying to revive an old 2100 that some thoughtful soul raped
for its memory. (What a sad state of affairs when techies take advantage of
a poor overworked server's weaker moments.)

What I've been able to find out so far is that the original specs call for:

* 168-pin
* Buffered
* DIMM
* 60ns
* 3.3V
* ECC

Do you know if this ol' server will take 100ns DIMMs? Looks like all the
60's are pretty much gone from this planet and something in the back of my
mynd seems to recall that 100ns DIMMs can be used in place of 60ns DIMMs.
(And there ain't even many 100's around these daze either!)

Old November 1st 03, 10:31 AM
Alien Zord

"MyndPhlyp" wrote in message
. net...
I'm (obviously) trying to revive an old 2100 that some thoughtful soul

raped
for its memory. (What a sad state of affairs when techies take advantage

of
a poor overworked server's weaker moments.)

What I've been able to find out so far is that the original specs call

for:

* 168-pin
* Buffered
* DIMM
* 60ns
* 3.3V
* ECC

Do you know if this ol' server will take 100ns DIMMs? Looks like all the
60's are pretty much gone from this planet and something in the back of my
mynd seems to recall that 100ns DIMMs can be used in place of 60ns DIMMs.
(And there ain't even many 100's around these daze either!)

A while back I've been given a PowerEdge 4200. This takes 168 pin 60ns or
faster buffered EDO memory.
It does NOT work with SDRAM! Check Crucial's web site. Your model appears to
require the same memory type as mine and its quite expensive.

Old November 1st 03, 05:10 PM
MyndPhlyp

"Alien Zord" wrote in message
A while back I've been given a PowerEdge 4200. This takes 168 pin 60ns or
faster buffered EDO memory.
It does NOT work with SDRAM! Check Crucial's web site. Your model appears

require the same memory type as mine and its quite expensive.

Exactly the same type, as a matter of fact. And the expense (in the general
neighborhood of $140/ea) is one of the reasons I'm looking for alternatives
other than buying used out of eBay and the like.

Thanks for the heads up on the SDRAM. I'll be sure to avoid it.

Other than the speed boost from buffering, buffered vs. unbuffered doesn't
make a difference though, does it? Dell's support site specifies unbuffered
EDO ECC DIMMs while a couple other sites I hit last night specified
buffered.

Old November 1st 03, 09:39 PM
steven67@

MyndPhlyp wrote:

I'm (obviously) trying to revive an old 2100 that some thoughtful soul raped
for its memory. (What a sad state of affairs when techies take advantage of
a poor overworked server's weaker moments.)

What I've been able to find out so far is that the original specs call for:

* 168-pin
* Buffered
* DIMM
* 60ns
* 3.3V
* ECC

Do you know if this ol' server will take 100ns DIMMs? Looks like all the
60's are pretty much gone from this planet and something in the back of my
mynd seems to recall that 100ns DIMMs can be used in place of 60ns DIMMs.
(And there ain't even many 100's around these daze either!)

..

You are confusing MHz with NS(nanoseconds). 60ns was a common speed rating for
EDO and FP modules. A lower number in nanoseconds is faster; a higher number is
slower. SDRAM modules have MHz speed ratings, i.e. 66MHz, 100MHz, and 133MHz.

PowerEdge 2100/200 Service Manual:
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/sroa/82502A00.pdf

PowerEdge 2100/200 User's Guide:
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/sroa/93425tp1.PDF

These manuals say, 60ns or faster, 3.3V, buffered, ECC, 168-pin EDO DIMMs are
required.

MemoryX currently has 128MB DIMMs for the PowerEdge 2100, for $54:
http://www.memoryx.net/pow21.html

Old November 1st 03, 11:56 PM
MyndPhlyp

"steven67@" wrote in message
.. .

You are confusing MHz with NS(nanoseconds). 60ns was a common speed

rating for
EDO and FP modules. A lower number in nanoseconds is faster; a higher

number is
slower. SDRAM modules have MHz speed ratings, i.e. 66MHz, 100MHz, and

133MHz.

Doh!

(Be not afraid. That loud banging sound you hear is only my forehead being
slammed against the keyboard. Good thing it's a Northgate OmniKey Ultra
keyboard!)

Must be that advanced age syndrome I'm experiencing. The mynd is such a
terrible thing to get wasted.

I do recall crossing MemoryX's path in my research. It was certainly one of
the two lower priced options I saw. Next meeting of the Budgetary Ways and
Means Committee (a committee of one) will decide when new life gets back
into this old relic ... and the server, too.

Thanx for the service manual. For some reason, I was having problems
locating that.