Spare parts project

Old April 7th 04, 06:51 AM
Local Net

Default Spare parts project

I'm looking for a inexpensive motherboard that will take my SDRAM memory and
a cheap processor.

I have a big tower that had my Pentium 166 which I retired 5 years ago. The
case, fans and 250W Power Supply are in good shape. I want to modify the
case to fit the motherboard.

Don't care if the motherboard is refurbished or not, I just don't want spend
more than $100 on the motherboard and processor. On board video would be a
plus but not a biggie.

I've just started researching this and would appreciating any and all
opinions.

thanks

Old April 7th 04, 07:17 AM
Ed Snow

I guessing that the power supply connection will bite me, I think I knew
that 5 years ago, but I'm much older now.

Old April 7th 04, 02:54 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Local Net wrote:
I'm looking for a inexpensive motherboard that will take my SDRAM memory and
a cheap processor.

I have a big tower that had my Pentium 166 which I retired 5 years ago. The
case, fans and 250W Power Supply are in good shape. I want to modify the
case to fit the motherboard.

Don't care if the motherboard is refurbished or not, I just don't want spend
more than $100 on the motherboard and processor. On board video would be a
plus but not a biggie.

I've just started researching this and would appreciating any and all
opinions.

thanks

Assuming it's an ATX case I'd go with the asus A7N266 at about $50
with onboard video and NIC. I've used a bunch of them.

Just add a CPU, and memory. You are talking about $150 for the core of
a very nice midrange 256MB system.

IMHO, trying ot reuse old memory complicates the selection of
motherboards, but I admit that I can't keep memory part names in my
head. I work out the best buy every time I buy new boards. Memory is
real cheap these days. $60/256MB

250watts sounds small for a 5 YO system. A "big tower" with a 250w
PSU sounds strange. Keep in mind that the PSU is old and could fail
any day.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Old April 7th 04, 10:28 PM
Gary Tait

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 01:51:27 -0400, "Local Net"
wrote:

I'm looking for a inexpensive motherboard that will take my SDRAM memory and
a cheap processor.

I thnk Asrock and/or ECS had some. They were going for $100 or so with
a duron CPU and cooler, and could use SD-RAM (was considering one for
a DVR system, but bought a Tivo instead).

I have a big tower that had my Pentium 166 which I retired 5 years ago. The
case, fans and 250W Power Supply are in good shape. I want to modify the
case to fit the motherboard.

Don't care if the motherboard is refurbished or not, I just don't want spend
more than $100 on the motherboard and processor. On board video would be a
plus but not a biggie.

I've just started researching this and would appreciating any and all
opinions.

thanks

Plz help check my parts for first PC build.. Chris General 3 October 26th 04 04:02 PM
Plz help check my parts for first PC build Chris Overclocking AMD Processors 2 October 21st 04 02:50 PM
good online parts source? John Overclocking 12 September 9th 04 08:37 AM
Salvage Server Project Ablang General 0 July 27th 04 02:30 AM
Getting rid of old parts Dave Navarro Homebuilt PC's 16 February 22nd 04 03:33 PM