Hibernate and suspend simply not supported on GA-K8N Pro?

Old April 26th 08, 02:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

Default Hibernate and suspend simply not supported on GA-K8N Pro?

I haven't been able to find a way to hibernate or suspend with this
motherboard, running XP Pro. Is it simply not supported? TIA.

Dan
Old April 26th 08, 03:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

Under Power Management in the BIOS (I have the latest BIOS loaded, F14),
I can choose S1 or S3 type suspend. I set the power button to require 4+
second press to turn off, otherwise go into the selected suspend mode.

However, in Windows XP, Control Panel, Power Options, there's no mention
of suspend. I'm only given the option of powering off immediately when
pressing the power button or do nothing or being asked what to do. When
asked, I can only Turn Off or Restart. Standby is greyed out. Why is it
greyed out? Windows help says the options in Power Options will reflect
what's supported by the motherboard, i.e. the BIOS. I don't see a
setting in the BIOS to enable it. It's already set up in BIOS.

Dan
Old April 26th 08, 11:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Andy

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 19:41:47 -0700, Dan Musicant )
wrote:

Under Power Management in the BIOS (I have the latest BIOS loaded, F14),
I can choose S1 or S3 type suspend. I set the power button to require 4+
second press to turn off, otherwise go into the selected suspend mode.

However, in Windows XP, Control Panel, Power Options, there's no mention
of suspend. I'm only given the option of powering off immediately when
pressing the power button or do nothing or being asked what to do. When
asked, I can only Turn Off or Restart. Standby is greyed out. Why is it
greyed out? Windows help says the options in Power Options will reflect
what's supported by the motherboard, i.e. the BIOS. I don't see a
setting in the BIOS to enable it. It's already set up in BIOS.

In order for standby to work, you have to install the Windows XP
driver for the video card.

Dan

Old April 27th 08, 02:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

:wrote:
:
[...]

Hmm. I'm running a BFG nvidia 6600 GTOC, using the 8.4.2.1 driver, which
I was told is the best for this video card. It's dated 3/9/2006. I'd
have to believe it supports XP. Anyway, based on what you say I'm
downloading the latest nVidia driver, 162.73_quadro_winxp2k_english.exe,
a 37 MB file. I'll remove my display adapter, reboot and install it and
see what happens. Thanks.

Dan
Old April 27th 08, 02:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

:wrote:
:
[...]

After removing my display adapter and rebooting, I tried to install that
driver I mentioned in my last post ( 162.73_quadro_winxp2k_english.exe),
but a message eventually came up that it couldn't support the
hardware/software (don't recall the exact wording) and the installation
terminated. So, I looked around in my downloads folder and found another
nvidia driver, which indicated XP and Windows 2000 support in the file
name: 66.93_win2kxp_international.exe, and my notes indicate this is a
WHQL approved driver. I installed it instead, and the ACPI support
appears to have NOT changed.

Under Computer in Device Manager it says:

ACPI Uniprocessor PC

I presume that means that XP install determined that the system is
capable of ACPI support and that it was enabled. However, when I shut
down the system in Task Manager the first two items are greyed out:

Stand By (greyed out)
Hibernate (greyed out)
Turn Off
Restart
Log Off my name
Switch User

I'm wondering if I should try another XP installation, first removing
all my PCI cards.

I have the latest BIOS installed for my motherboard, F14.

Today being Sunday, I will wait until tomorrow before calling Gigabyte
support.

Old April 28th 08, 12:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Andy

This is the latest driver:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_169.21_whql.html.

:

Old April 28th 08, 12:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Andy

All you should have to do is uninstall the old graphics driver,
reboot, then install the new graphics driver, and reboot again.

:

Old April 28th 08, 02:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:44:52 -0700, Andy wrote:

:All you should have to do is uninstall the old graphics driver,
:reboot, then install the new graphics driver, and reboot again.

OK, so I downloaded the latest nVidia WHQL driver, the one you linked me
to today ( 169.21_forceware_winxp_32bit_english_whql.exe ) and I was
about to do as you say above when I thought I'd continue what I was
doing earlier in the day before I took a break from all this -- I had
done a google on "standby greyed out" and got lots of hits. On the
second Google page was this one:

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=81547

A guy suggested the fellow having the problem do an Everest Home Edition
report and paste it in a post. Having the program already installed, I
did a report and started searching through it for a clue. I left off at
around 25% into the long report. Just now, I decided to look further
into the report before uninstalling my display driver and installing the
new one. I noticed this about my rather newish 500 GB SATA HD:

[ SAMSUNG HD501LJ (S0MUJ1PP310938) ]

ATA Device Properties:
Model ID SAMSUNG HD501LJ
Serial Number S0MUJ1PP310938
Revision CR100-10
Parameters 969021 cylinders, 16 heads, 63
sectors per track, 554 bytes per sector
LBA Sectors 976773168
Buffer 16 MB (Dual Ported, Read Ahead)
Multiple Sectors 16
ECC Bytes 4
Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 6 (ATA-133)
Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
Unformatted Capacity 516064 MB

ATA Device Features:
SMART Supported
Security Mode Supported
Power Management Supported
Advanced Power Management Not Supported
Write Cache Supported
Host Protected Area Supported
Power-Up In Standby Not Supported
Automatic Acoustic Management Supported
48-bit LBA Supported
Device Configuration Overlay Supported

ATA Device Manufacturer:
Company Name Samsung
Product Information
http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/index.htm
- - - -
In particular, I noticed where it said:

Advanced Power Management Not Supported
....and...
Power-Up In Standby Not Supported

So, I figuring it was another wild goose chase (I've been doing them all
weekend trying to resolve this!), I went into the BIOS and disabled SATA
HD support. Upon rebooting, my 500 GB SATA drive is no longer seen, but
my Standby and Hibernate are suddenly ENABLED!

I find this amazing. SATA HD's are supposed to be an advance, a relative
newcomer in the PC storage scene, and installing one has disabled my
ACPI! I wonder if there is a workaround? Maybe if I get an SATA
controller card?? Or maybe if I get a different SATA HD?

Dan
:
:wrote:
:
:On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 15:46:34 -0700, Andy wrote:
:
::On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 19:41:47 -0700, Dan Musicant )
::
:** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

Old April 28th 08, 04:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

wrote:
[...]

...and...
Power-Up In Standby Not Supported

So, I figuring it was another wild goose chase (I've been doing them all
weekend trying to resolve this!), I went into the BIOS and disabled SATA
HD support. Upon rebooting, my 500 GB SATA drive is no longer seen, but
my Standby and Hibernate are suddenly ENABLED!

I find this amazing. SATA HD's are supposed to be an advance, a relative
newcomer in the PC storage scene, and installing one has disabled my
ACPI! I wonder if there is a workaround? Maybe if I get an SATA
controller card?? Or maybe if I get a different SATA HD?

Dan

I checked my Everest report, and I have an older Seagate drive, not even
a SATA drive. My ATA Device Features are the same as yours, only
my "Automatic Acoustic Management" is "Not Supported". And my ACPI
is working. I'd say you're on to something, but it may not be the
hard drive. It could be the driver that controls the SATA interface,
whatever one is being used. Possible drivers would be a default
Microsoft one, or a chipset driver you installed when you used
the motherboard CD.

There is a program called "dummpo.exe" you can get from Microsoft. One
web site (a site in France), showed an example where dumppo had highlighted
a driver as not being compatible with ACPI. Implying that dumppo could
detect a problem. I'm not as hopeful myself, suspecting that it cannot
detect every problem. But maybe, if it uses the same logic and checks
the same facilities as the OS does, it will arrive at a correct answer.

Look for "LEGACY DRIVER DETECTED" on this page. This is a very large web page,
so allow a couple minutes for it to render. This is an archived copy.

http://web.archive.org/web/200404040...ndows2000.html

Dumppo runs in a DOS command box, and doesn't have a GUI. The following
is from a previous posting.

*******
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Products/Oem...cpi/dumppo.exe

dumppo options:

CAP = Capabilities
PS = Power Supply
BS = Battery Supply
ADMIN = Administration
AC = AC Power Settings
DC = DC Power Settings
AC MAXSLEEP=Sx
AC MINSLEEP=Sx
where x is the ACPI value (1 & 3)

You run the program in a command (DOS) window, and a basic command to
try would be "dumppo cap" to get capabilities.

Some other users having fun with Dumppo he

"dumppo admin /ac minsleep=S3"
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...8&postcount=31
*******

HTH,
Paul
Old April 28th 08, 06:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 23:13:03 -0400, Paul wrote:

wrote:
[...]
: - - - -
: In particular, I noticed where it said:
:
: Advanced Power Management Not Supported
: ...and...
:*******
[...]

Thanks. I had the idea to disconnect the HD from the PC and see if ACPI
was working when SATA was enabled. If it did, then I could assume that
the HD was at fault, and not the SATA driver or chip. My experiment this
morning confirmed this, i.e. ACPI still didn't work when the HD was
disconnected, so I figured I could rule out problems with the Samsung
HD. Further experimenting revealed that (while leaving SATA Enabled)
changing the "Serial ATA Function" in the BIOS from BASE to RAID
restored ACPI functionality, and that my SATA HD appears to function OK
with that setting.

I have no idea why this would be so. It's either a workaround or maybe
it's supposed to work that way, I don't know. I have no intention of
setting up a RAID array of any kind at this time. I figured that this
being the case, and having only one SATA HD installed, that BASE was the
proper setting for that function in the BIOS. Maybe I was mistaken, or
maybe it's a glitch in the driver. Maybe I should contact Gigabyte and
ask for an explanation. I'm wondering if there's a downside to running
the single SATA HD as RAID.

Unfortunately, the installation CD for this MB is unreadable. It's
fairly warped and my DVD burner can't read it. I tried to unwarp it by
pressing between flat surfaces, clamped in the oven at 150F for over an
hour, but the experiment failed! Meantime, I'd downloaded a slew of
drivers for the MB from Gigabyte's website and installed them after
that a manual was included with the MB (packaged as new, and obviously
new although the MB is from 2004 or so), that's entitled:

SATA RAID Function
(Only for Chipset SiI3112 Used)
User's Manual

However, I downloaded the driver for this (at the page for this MB), and
tried to install it and the installation failed. I looked up the spec
for the MB at Gigabyte's website and it says the included chip is
SiI3512! That's the one shown as correctly installed in Device Manager.
Since changing the Serial ATA Function from BASE to RAID, a yellow
question mark has disappeared from Device Manager for a disk controller,
so I guess that change was advisable.

Dan