Video card recommendation needed

Old August 14th 03, 02:54 PM
Larc

Default Video card recommendation needed

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 8:28:01 -0400, Singha_lvr pondered exceedingly, then took
quill in hand and carefully composed...

| I have a new DVI compatible LCD monitor. (NEC/Mitsubishi LCD 1860-NX) It
| has a DVI port (I believe it's DVD-D)
|
| What video card would you all recommend to drive this thing digitally?
|
| I'd like to stay under $150 if at all possible but I want my best banging for
| my buck within this price range. (Of course spending less is always good
| too!)

It depends on how you use your system. If you aren't much of a gamer and are
more interested in superior 2D and good driver support, I'd suggest a Matrox
G550. That's around $100 at Newegg including shipping. The G550 has one DVI
out + one standard out for another monitor or a TV. The Newegg offering is OEM,
however, and doesn't include the necessary dongle for TV.

If you are a gamer, maybe somebody else can give you a better recommendation
than I can.

Larc

§§§ - Please raise temperature of mail to reply by e-mail - §§§
Old August 14th 03, 07:46 PM
singha_lvr

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 13:54:23 GMT, Larc wrote:

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 8:28:01 -0400, Singha_lvr pondered exceedingly, then took
quill in hand and carefully composed...

| I have a new DVI compatible LCD monitor. (NEC/Mitsubishi LCD 1860-NX) It
| has a DVI port (I believe it's DVD-D)
|
| What video card would you all recommend to drive this thing digitally?
|
| I'd like to stay under $150 if at all possible but I want my best banging for
| my buck within this price range. (Of course spending less is always good
| too!)

It depends on how you use your system. If you aren't much of a gamer and are
more interested in superior 2D and good driver support, I'd suggest a Matrox
G550. That's around $100 at Newegg including shipping. The G550 has one DVI
out + one standard out for another monitor or a TV. The Newegg offering is OEM,
however, and doesn't include the necessary dongle for TV.

If you are a gamer, maybe somebody else can give you a better recommendation
than I can.

Larc

Let me put it this way ...
I'd LIKE to be a gamer. :-)

That said I have very little free time. (Regular 80+ hour work
weeks). That's why spending $399 for a Radeon 9800 would be foolish
.... I'd never use it.

I do sometimes play Unreal Tornament 3D, a few Star Trek type games or
my NASCAR simulator, but it's like once a month.

My primary use is Software Development and writing. So ... a 2D card
would be fine if I can still play the occasional game on it. :-)

Does that make any sense?

Does anyone else have any input?

Old August 14th 03, 08:36 PM
drumguy1384

"singha_lvr" wrote in message

Let me put it this way ...
I'd LIKE to be a gamer. :-)

That said I have very little free time. (Regular 80+ hour work
weeks). That's why spending $399 for a Radeon 9800 would be foolish
... I'd never use it.

I do sometimes play Unreal Tornament 3D, a few Star Trek type games or
my NASCAR simulator, but it's like once a month.

My primary use is Software Development and writing. So ... a 2D card
would be fine if I can still play the occasional game on it. :-)

Does that make any sense?

Does anyone else have any input?

Newegg.com has an nVidia GeForce4 4200 128MB for $118, or you can get the
64MB model for $95. Either one should be more than sufficient to play a
little UT and some NASCAR.

Drumguy

Old August 15th 03, 12:09 AM
drumguy1384

"singha_lvr" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:36:24 -0500, "drumguy1384"
wrote:

Newegg.com has an nVidia GeForce4 4200 128MB for $118, or you can get the
64MB model for $95. Either one should be more than sufficient to play a
little UT and some NASCAR.

But do they have a DVI-D interface compatible with the monitor that I
have?

Yes, I searched specifically for models with DVI-D output.

Drumguy

Old August 15th 03, 12:14 AM
BigJIm

not knowing what the speed of your systems is but if is a new system with a
p4 processor a GeForce 5600 should do, it has the dvi pinout. Don't think
you will need the Ultra version, regular version of the 5600 is about 125.00
shipped.
"Singha_lvr" wrote in message
I have a new DVI compatible LCD monitor. (NEC/Mitsubishi LCD 1860-NX) It
has a DVI port (I believe it's DVD-D)

What video card would you all recommend to drive this thing digitally?

I'd like to stay under $150 if at all possible but I want my best banging

for
my buck within this price range. (Of course spending less is always good
too!)

Thanks in advance ...

Old August 15th 03, 01:47 AM
drumguy1384

"BigJIm" wrote in message
not knowing what the speed of your systems is but if is a new system with

p4 processor a GeForce 5600 should do, it has the dvi pinout. Don't think
you will need the Ultra version, regular version of the 5600 is about

125.00
shipped.

I would like to second this recommendation also. The GeForceFX cards have
more features (better anti-aliasing, DX9 support) and perform at least as
well as the GeForce4s at a particular price point.

I only recommended a GeForce4 because I didn't find an FX in your stated
price range with DVI on newegg.com. I must admit I didn't research my
recommendation as thoroughly as I normally do, but I still maintain that a
GeForce4 would be plenty to run a little UT and some racing sims.

Drumguy

Old August 15th 03, 09:18 PM
singha_lvr

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:47:46 -0500, "drumguy1384"
wrote:

"BigJIm" wrote in message
not knowing what the speed of your systems is but if is a new system with

p4 processor a GeForce 5600 should do, it has the dvi pinout. Don't think
you will need the Ultra version, regular version of the 5600 is about

125.00
shipped.

I would like to second this recommendation also. The GeForceFX cards have
more features (better anti-aliasing, DX9 support) and perform at least as
well as the GeForce4s at a particular price point.

I only recommended a GeForce4 because I didn't find an FX in your stated
price range with DVI on newegg.com. I must admit I didn't research my
recommendation as thoroughly as I normally do, but I still maintain that a
GeForce4 would be plenty to run a little UT and some racing sims.

Drumguy

Good information and some good choices.. Thank you.

Any thoughts on Larc's Matrox recommendation?

Old August 15th 03, 09:52 PM
drumguy1384

wrote:

"BigJIm" wrote in message
[...]

Matrox cards have long been known to be very good with 2D (regular desktop
stuff), they have not, however been known for very good performance in 3D
(i.e. games, CAD, etc.).

On Matrox's website when I clicked on "G550 vs competition" it compares the
features of the G550 with those of a GeForce2 MX and a Radeon VE ... as most
will note these cards are 2 or 3 generations old. And they center the
comparison around it's 2D performance and multi-monitor support.

The Matrox card will most likely result in better 2D operation ... but that
has about reached it's peak anyway. No matter what modern card you get
you're going to get very good 2D performance.

My recommendation of a GeForce4 or GeForceFX was made because you said you
would like to be able to play games as well ... and either of these two
cards would offer ample support for that and into the future for a while,
while still offering quite good 2D and even dual monitor performance.

I'm afraid you would find the Matrox card lacking in 3D performance ...
making your games less enjoyable.

Drumguy

Old August 15th 03, 11:13 PM
singha_lvr

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:52:48 -0500, "drumguy1384"
wrote:

[...]

Drumguy, Larc, BigJim ....

THANK YOU. You have no idea how helpful the 3 of you have been.
Obviously I trust experience more than product reviews (and with my
limited free time to fully read product reviews I rely on the
experiences of others even more!)

I'll let you all know what I pick up this weekend.

BTW: What price should a DVI cable go for? (I find that's the most
obvious place to get ripped off.)

Take care.
Old August 16th 03, 01:53 PM
Allen_L

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:18:49 -0400, singha_lvr pondered exceedingly,
then took quill in hand and carefully composed...

Good information and some good choices.. Thank you.

Any thoughts on Larc's Matrox recommendation?

Larc wrote:

I agree with Drumguy on the Matrox G550. It's great 2D, but not
very good 3D. That's why I asked at the outset if you were a gamer.
I like the Matrox and have it on two systems, but I don't usually
get more adventurous game-wise than an occasional hour of solitaire.
;-)

Larc

Matrox has a new 64MB card out the is supposed to be good for gaming also.
It's the P650, and is about $160 US. Might want to check it out...has
passive cooling, so no noise.

....Allen