incorrect temperature measurements...

Old September 28th 03, 04:43 AM
KILOWATT

Default incorrect temperature measurements...

Hi everyones. Anyone here know why the temperatures readings
from a motherboard can be so imprecise? I have an ASUS
p4p800-vm and even efter the BIOS update from #1005 towards
#1007 it's not more accurate, though the update solved a lan problem.
MB temperature (motherboard?) is shown in the BIOS as 36°C
and CPU temperature "is" 20°C...wow!

Using the latest version of ASUS PC Probe, i can see 36°C for the
MB temperature and 15°C for the CPU! Room temperature is 23°C
at the time i'm writing this. :-) Fans rpm and all voltages "seems" in
range. Beside complaining to ASUS for their poor monitoring harware,
any idea? TIA

--
Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
Montréal Québec

Old September 28th 03, 11:50 AM
Spajky

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 23:43:41 -0400, "KILOWATT"
wrote:

Hi everyones. Anyone here know why the temperatures readings
from a motherboard can be so imprecise?

go to my site under Comp/Some CPU Burn-in
to get some clues ...

-- Regards, SPAJKY
& visit - http://www.spajky.iscyber.com
Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Old September 28th 03, 05:25 PM
El Jerid

.. .
#1007 it's not more accurate, though the update solved a lan problem.
MB temperature (motherboard?) is shown in the BIOS as 36°C
and CPU temperature "is" 20°C...wow!

Using the latest version of ASUS PC Probe, i can see 36°C for the
MB temperature and 15°C for the CPU! Room temperature is 23°C
at the time i'm writing this. :-) Fans rpm and all voltages "seems" in
range. Beside complaining to ASUS for their poor monitoring harware,
any idea? TIA

I have the same motherboard as yours and was also surprised about the low
reported temps with AsusProbe.
After booting W2K and wait for 5 minutes however, my temps are between 28
and 31 °C for a room temp of 20 °C (on my earlier Asus CUSL2-C with P3 1
GHz, I used to have 35 to 38 °C). I compared that temp with the reportings
of the bios and with Sandra and got +/- the same temps.
My conclusion is that there is nothing wrong with AsusProbe, but maybe with
the location of the sensor, although what your PC is concerrned.
I think that in idle situation, the cpu temp should be somewhere 10 °C above
room temperature 'with a correct cooler). Your reading of 15 °C is a rather
impossible value. If this reading is constant and because I don't think Asus
will exchange the motherboard for this issue, best thing you can do is
always add 15 ° to your displayed value.
And of course, if you want to be absolutely sure, you could make a few
measurements with a reference and calibrated sensor or thermometer.

Old September 29th 03, 04:21 AM
KILOWATT

Hi guys! Thanks a lot for the replies. Nice to see
that i'm not the only one with that problem, but
this is not a solution,of course :-) Sorry Yogi, but editing
and saving the .ini file didn't helped at all. I then restored the
original one. I've contacted ASUS (does it worth the try?) to ask
what they have to say about that. You did your best to help...
let's see what the manufacturer can do. ;-) I'll keep in touch.
thanks again.

Old September 29th 03, 10:52 AM
El Jerid

"KILOWATT" wrote in message
.. .
Hi guys! Thanks a lot for the replies. Nice to see
that i'm not the only one with that problem, but
this is not a solution,of course :-) Sorry Yogi, but editing
and saving the .ini file didn't helped at all. I then restored the
original one. I've contacted ASUS (does it worth the try?) to ask
what they have to say about that. You did your best to help...
let's see what the manufacturer can do. ;-) I'll keep in touch.
thanks again.

I wonder if you will be more lucky in trying to get help from Asus...
I had two questions about my mobo and contacted Asus USA, Germany (for
Europe) an even the main site. Never got any response (even not an automatic
response!).
Asus might be the best mobo manufacturer, their help desk is below zero for
me...

Old September 29th 03, 11:28 AM
kony

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:52:37 GMT, "El Jerid"
wrote:

"KILOWATT" wrote in message
. ..
Hi guys! Thanks a lot for the replies. Nice to see
that i'm not the only one with that problem, but
this is not a solution,of course :-) Sorry Yogi, but editing
and saving the .ini file didn't helped at all. I then restored the
original one. I've contacted ASUS (does it worth the try?) to ask
what they have to say about that. You did your best to help...
let's see what the manufacturer can do. ;-) I'll keep in touch.
thanks again.

I wonder if you will be more lucky in trying to get help from Asus...
I had two questions about my mobo and contacted Asus USA, Germany (for
Europe) an even the main site. Never got any response (even not an automatic
response!).
Asus might be the best mobo manufacturer, their help desk is below zero for
me...

Motherboard manufacturers generally don't support end-users at all.
If ANY motherboard manufacturer returns emails you should consider it
luck, not obligation or typical.

Dave
Old September 29th 03, 05:37 PM

#1007 it's not more accurate, though the update solved a lan problem.
MB temperature (motherboard?) is shown in the BIOS as 36°C
and CPU temperature "is" 20°C...wow!

Using the latest version of ASUS PC Probe, i can see 36°C for the
MB temperature and 15°C for the CPU! Room temperature is 23°C
at the time i'm writing this. :-) Fans rpm and all voltages "seems" in
range. Beside complaining to ASUS for their poor monitoring harware,
any idea? TIA

I have found that the best and accurate version of Probe is 2.1907

--
..
Old October 1st 03, 12:17 AM
Ian

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:52:37 GMT, "El Jerid"
wrote:

Hi,

"KILOWATT" wrote in message
. ..
Hi guys! Thanks a lot for the replies. Nice to see
that i'm not the only one with that problem, but
this is not a solution,of course :-) Sorry Yogi, but editing
and saving the .ini file didn't helped at all. I then restored the
original one. I've contacted ASUS (does it worth the try?) to ask
what they have to say about that. You did your best to help...
let's see what the manufacturer can do. ;-) I'll keep in touch.
thanks again.

I wonder if you will be more lucky in trying to get help from Asus...
I had two questions about my mobo and contacted Asus USA, Germany (for
Europe) an even the main site. Never got any response (even not an automatic
response!).
Asus might be the best mobo manufacturer, their help desk is below zero for
me...

S'funny, I have a small query with my new Asus P4C800 mobo and I have
already had four replies to my query from the Asus tech dept in
Taiwan. What you realy need to do is fill in technical help form on
the Asus mian website in Taiwan.

regards,

Ian.

__

Old October 1st 03, 02:49 AM
KILOWATT

Thanks Ian. I'm still waiting for a reply from them. I'll try
that in a few days! ;-)

epox-8rda3+ temperature sensor Ben General 1 September 19th 03 09:13 PM
Thermal pad or Thermal paste? Vin General 68 September 17th 03 05:38 AM
CPU temperature Andrew General 5 August 22nd 03 07:43 AM
P4 Temperature nECrO General 9 July 1st 03 01:46 AM