Weird Power Mgmt issue

Old November 18th 05, 05:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Weird Power Mgmt issue

Tonight, I plugged in my new Dell 1905 LCD monitor, into my new GEForce
FX200 video card, both im my Gateway Select 1000 PC that is 4 yrs old.

Everything has been working great... BUT, the most frustrating thing has
occured a half dozen times. The Monitor will go into its Pwr Mgmt mode,
totally unrelated to what I have set in Control panel. Whats worse, I cant
bring it out of it by mousing, or keying the keyboard.. I have to unplug
the computer, and reboot.. ie, it freezes up, with the power light on the
monitor on Amber.

Can somebody please tell me what on earth is going on with this? I know it
is unrelated to my power mgmt settings because when I set screen saver and
pwer mgmt to turn the monitor off at like 1 minute interval, it does it
fine, and I can bring it back by normal mouse or keyboard means. When the
problem strikes the Only way to get things working again is to pull the plug
on the pc, and then reboot. Pressing the power button on the monitor will
turn it green for a second, but it goes right back to orange again.

Could it be that the new video card is locking up the motherboard? Oy.. i
sure hope not.. it works fine for about a half hour or so.

Old November 18th 05, 05:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Whoops.. Sorry guys.. this : "Tonight, I plugged in my new Dell 1905 LCD
monitor, into my new GEForce
FX200 video card" should be This: "...GEForce FX5200 video card"

Old November 19th 05, 12:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Boostm3" wrote:
bring it out of it by mousing, or keying the keyboard.. I have to unplug
the computer, and reboot.. ie, it freezes up, with the power light on the
monitor on Amber.

Sounds like a hardware problem with the [new?] video card.

Could it be that the new video card is locking up the motherboard? Oy.. i
sure hope not.. it works fine for about a half hour or so.

Is there a fan on the video card, and is it spinning?
Old November 19th 05, 05:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

No fan on the video card; just a huge honking heat sink. But I think youre
in the right area.. I have noticed that the fan on the power supply is as
dead as a hunk of wood.. Ive been running the pc with the cover off while
Ive been working on this potential video card switch from the lowly Nvidia
Vanta it came with in 2001, to this new GeForce FX5200 I just received that
we're talking about, and I have yet to find the 250 watt powersupply's fan
spinning.. IT must have worked once, because theres alot of dust around it
which you get with spinning fans.

Now, why does this not hurt the Vanta, but cause the FX5200 to shut the
monitor down after 1, 2, or 3, or some other random number of hours of use?
Could it be because the demand of the Vanta card, with just 16mb on board,
is so low that it doesnt matter? As I said, Ive left the top off the pc,
and had the open side facing the window where it can get some good cooling,
and pulled out 2 unused cards from PCI slots, but it still will shut the
monitor into pwr saving mode, right in the middle of my typing a sentence,
or mousing around, to be reawakened ONLY by a hard reboot.

When I checked with gateway, this was one of the cards they said would work
on my amd motherboard. So, could it be this powersupply fan?

Paul

Old November 19th 05, 08:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Boostm3" wrote:
I have noticed that the fan on the power supply is as
dead as a hunk of wood.

There's your problem! You can't get around improper cooling problems,
fix them and all your hangs will go away.

[Your old video card didn't have enough horsepower (heat dissipation)
to melt down, your new one does]
Old November 19th 05, 10:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Thanks William.. I can replace the power supply for around 50 bucks so maybe
i should just do it (dont suppose theres anyway of just replacing the fan
on the existing power supply.. odds are this is a signal that it wont be
long before it goes too!) .. being 4 yrs old, Ive been reluctant to put
money into it.. But, with the ability to add on hard drives as I need them,
and a decent video system, maybe I can get some more life out of this one.
I was looking at some new pcs on the Dell site, and was wondering (since
they dont say!), what type of video cards do they typically use on current
gen of new pcs ?

Old November 20th 05, 03:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Boostm3" wrote:
I can replace the power supply for around 50 bucks so maybe
i should just do it (dont suppose theres anyway of just replacing the fan
on the existing power supply.. odds are this is a signal that it wont be
long before it goes too!)

Well, CompUSA has power supplies starting around $25, so it's not that
bad. Depending on the power supply, and the ease of disassembly,
replacing the fan might be a fine solution, that's the only moving
part, and usually the first/only thing to fail, though it may cost a
large fraction of the price of a new supply to find the right fan...

If you spin the fan by hand, does it move easily or is it stuck?

I was looking at some new pcs on the Dell site, and was wondering (since
they dont say!), what type of video cards do they typically use on current
gen of new pcs ?

Whatever you buy. Gnerally the configurator will allow you to pick
the performance video card of your choice.
Old November 20th 05, 07:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Thanks William.. Never installed a powersupply before, so it was crucial to
me that whatever I got was a direct replacement for my Gateway powersupply.
I happened to find one thats actually a step up to 300watts from an ebay
store, that gives me 30 days to return ... It lists my currrent one with the
defunct fan as a model which it replaces, and, it was only 30 bucks.. So,
thats what I ordered. Should be an easy install, and once its in, I can
reinstall the drivers for the FX5200 card, put in the card, and have another
go at it. BTW, when I try and turn the fan by hand, its really hard to
push. I Can move it, but it sure doesnt spin easily. Not completely stuck,
but tough to spin just the same.. Sounds like it burned out or seized up.
Ive heard that this is often a sign that the whole powersupply could be
going.. And considering I run it about 15 hrs every day since 2001, you
never know.. Although, thats only about 27000 hours, and I thought these
were good for 100k hrs!! Does the fan only last typically 1/4 of the power
supply's life? Isnt that the time most people get a new power supply? So,
whats with the short lived fans??

Old November 20th 05, 03:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Boostm3" wrote:
BTW, when I try and turn the fan by hand, its really hard to
push. I Can move it, but it sure doesnt spin easily. Not completely stuck,
but tough to spin just the same.

Yeah, it's got stuck bearings, probably from environmental
contamination. Environments tend to vary from air conditioned, HEPA
filtered offices to greasy, cat-infested, dusty farm kitchens.

I've fixed stuck fans by disassembling, cleaning, lubricating, and
reassembling them, but that's rarely worthwhile.

So, whats with the short lived fans??

They vary a lot. Depends on the environment, temperature, duty cycle,
etc.

The lifetime of a power supply is only somewhat independent of that of
it's fan. The electronics ought to last forever, but if the fan
stops, then cooling is compromised, and lifetime is shortened. Also,
a dirty environment will deposit a thermally insulating blanket of
fuzz on the electronics, which will result in their running hotter,
again shortening their lifetime.

$30 for a replacement power supply isn't a bad solution.

x800xl and Far Cry, disasterous! AAvK Nvidia Videocards 38 October 14th 05 01:42 PM
UPSs and surge protection. nothing to write home about General 25 September 1st 05 10:59 PM
UPS unit needed for the P4C800E-Deluxe jimbo Asus Motherboards 46 April 12th 05 05:17 PM
P5GD2 Deluxe Ðavïd Asus Motherboards 11 January 14th 05 01:17 PM
NF7-S power up problem Jeff Green Abit Motherboards 9 January 18th 04 08:06 PM