memtest86 reporting memory error

Old October 8th 05, 10:41 PM
DevilsPGD

In message Shep©
wrote:

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 04:37:56 -0600 If God exists he'll get DevilsPGD
writing this :

I just purchased a new motherboard, CPU, and video card, built the
system, ran memtest86 and I'm getting memory errors.

If this is a new system and you have bought good equipment why did you
run a software,"Memory" tester?

Why wouldn't I? I would seriously question the competency of any system
builder who doesn't perform burn-in testing on assembled hardware before
shipping it. I don't test my own systems as thoroughly as a system I'm
planning on selling since I'll tend to notice any weirdness once I'm up
and running, but I do test some of the basics.

Also, not all of the system was new, as I indicated in my original post,
I scavenged the RAM, hard drives, and a sound card from my old system
(as well as some USB peripherals), but all of the hardware was
known-good since most of it has been operating nonstop for 18 months.

Have you built many systems?

More then I can count.

Have you bought the correct type of devices for your system/mother
board?

Yes indeed.

Have you researched any known incompatibilities for the mother board?

Yes.

Have you correctly set the BIOS parameters for the devices you are
using?

I left most things at defaults, unless specifically instructed.

Have you correctly positioned your PCI devices for the motherboard.

Indeed. Only two PCI slots, and only one PCI card, and the only advice
in the documentation anywhere was to place the sound card as far away
from the video card, CPU, etc, as possible to avoid possible distortion.
I followed that advice.

The above is just a starter.

Indeed.

--
I left the womb for this?
Old October 9th 05, 10:37 PM
JAD

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
In message "JAD"
wrote:

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
news
In message "JAD"
wrote:

Why did you run that POS software in the first place?

Point of sale software? Okay, bad joke..

But seriously, why not? -- I don't know about you, but I consider it a
problem if my RAM is returning different bytes then my system is
storing. If nothing else, it makes debugging software a bitch.

Were you having
problems with the machine and that's what prompted you to attempt
troubleshooting?

It's one of the things I usually do after building a new machine, part
of an informal "stress test" of sorts. No specific problems that I can
attribute to RAM, although I have had a couple lockups (which have gone
away after a BIOS upgrade)

I C. Interesting test case this will be. Please follow up with the out
come.

So, was I having problems with the machine? As it turns out, a number
of problems fixed themselves when I managed to tweak things enough that
memtest86+ stopped reporting errors.

Among them:

-The system would go to a black screen after shutting down rather then
rebooting when requested.
-The system would not come out of Standby.
-DLL errors whenever launching certain network-related applications
(dig, host, psservice, and a few others)
-Lockups when attempting to ipconfig/release (but /renew was fine if I
didn't /release first)
-Bluescreen when attempting to launch a recovery console from boot CD.
-Bluescreen when attempting to boot a known-good BartPE CD.

All of these issues disappeared once I fixed the memory issue. When I
reverted to my previous settings, the issues returned, so yes, they were
memory related, and yes, memtest86+ did point me in the right direction
since I was initially assuming a driver incompatibility.

So in regards to the 'memory' error, the only thing that was 'wrong' with
the memory was the timings settings in the bIOS, and this you had to figure
out yourself, as memtest86 just said there was an error.

--
I left the womb for this?

Old October 10th 05, 06:47 AM
DevilsPGD

In message "JAD"
wrote:

So in regards to the 'memory' error, the only thing that was 'wrong' with
the memory was the timings settings in the bIOS, and this you had to figure
out yourself, as memtest86 just said there was an error.

However, without the ability to test focusing on RAM alone, I'd never be
able to confirm if the settings were entirely correct or not, whether
the instability I was seeing was RAM related, or due to another driver.

Now, memtest86 did not magically fix anything, but it doesn't claim to
do so, so that's not a surprise. It's a diagnostic tool, it did it's
job, reported and error, and allowed me to confirm when I'd fixed the
error.

Oh yeah, and I'm at 100% stability since then

--
I understand what all the individual words mean despite the misspellings;
I just don't understand what they mean in that particular order.
Old October 15th 05, 08:10 AM
DevilsPGD

In message uoh1f.97770$oW2.30746@pd7tw1no "Homer J. Simpson"
wrote:

I would suggest using manual memory settings.

I'd like to go on record by saying thanks to everyone for their input,
it's much appreciated!