GA-8GPNXP Duo: some issues with IDE drives

Old February 28th 05, 06:04 AM
BruceM

Does your page in the bios setup or in your manual look similar to this?
http://www.kingstonsesa.com/SATA.jpg
To get this to work you need to forget some of the traditional way we've all
gotten used to doing it.

"kayizm007" wrote in message
So has anyone been able to make this motherboard work correctly? I
have tried switching from IDE 1 to 2, etc, back and forth, I have all
IDE hard drives and I cant seems to make this thing work. Any
suggestions? PLEASE HELP!!

Old February 28th 05, 06:12 PM
Noël Danjou

Hello all,

I have a working solution with only SATA drives and IDE fully disabled.

I plugged my HDD on SATA1, my 1st PX-712SA on SATA2 and my 2nd PX-712SA on
SATA4. For those tests I did not plug the 2nd HDD to SATA3 but that should
work ok.

In "Integrated Peripherals" I set the options like this:

On-Chip Primary PCI IDE - Disabled
SATA RAID/AHCI Mode - AHCI
On-board H/W GigaRAID - Disabled

After rebooting, in "Standard CMOS Features" I get:

IDE Channel 0 Master [None]
IDE Channel 0 Slave [None]
IDE Channel 2 Master [S_ATA1-Maxtor 6Y080M]
IDE Channel 2 Slave [None]
IDE Channel 3 Master [S_ATA3-PLEXTOR DVDR]
IDE Channel 3 Slave [S_ATA4-PLEXTOR DVDR]

Not sure who'd be IDE1?

I created a chipset diskette from iaa40.exe on the CD. I could not find a
newer version from Giga-Byte or Intel though it seems like there is a 4.1
version of IAA, at least I think I read something like this in a readme.

When I restart, I hit a key to boot from the Windows XP SP1 CD (after the
message is shown). I hit F6 when requested, I select "82801FR AHCI" from the
diskette and successfully complete the installation. The Windows XP Setup
completes very quickly and the system seems to work just fine.

The SATA controller appears as "Intel(R) 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller" under
"IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers".

I tried the same with the LH alpha preview CD, the 1st part of the Setup
worked but I got the BSOD (0x7B) when LH started after the Setup restarted
the system. I'd think that it is due to a possible lack of native SATA
support in this alpha of LH. We will see with the upcoming preview.

This configuration would be OK for me but I still wonder whether the system
should be able to boot from a CD when SATA RAID/AHCI is set to Disabled? If
this option is disabled and it could possibly boot from a CD, would a
diskette still be required? I wish I did not need a diskette to complete the
installation just like with standard IDE.

Now I am looking for good SATA racks to put my HDDs in and then close my box
hopefully once for good. I am looking for Enermax UC-S106TMFA since I am
satisfied with the IDE version of those racks.
--
Noël

Old March 1st 05, 03:00 AM
BruceM

I'm glad you got it going.
Is your computer in a business environment or just casual use?
It would be nice if you could now document exactly the procedure to get to
your pesent situation. (which you have done)
Then go back & try to sucessfully get it going with all IDE hardware & also
record your steps.
I can see a very big demand for this advice in the near future.
Pity Gigabyte, ASUS & others can't create more detailed documents for
following.
I would have taken more care in recording my exact steps to get my first one
going & if it was mine I would do just that but it's in a University now
half way across the country.
Regards.....

Old March 1st 05, 04:23 AM
kayizm007

I connected my optical drves into the first IDE slot. I connected my
hard drives to the other IDE channels. After the RAID drivers were
loaded everything finally appeared fine until it rebooted and I get
the message "Disk error replace disk and reboot". What the hell am I
doing wrong?

Old March 1st 05, 05:14 AM
BruceM

I'm flying blind here but did you set your machine to boot from SATA? (yes I
know it's not a true SATA)
Is there the option in yours to swap IDE1 over with IDE2? Maybe try that.
And then in "boot from HD" set it to the one with your OS loaded on it.
Wright each down so you can try dif ones. There are about 5 things that you
can try in dif settings so that makes 5X5=25!!!
Just make sure you keep a record of what happens with each one.

Old March 1st 05, 05:23 PM
Noël Danjou

Bruce,

This new computer is to replace my current development system (I am a
freelance software engineer). I also prepared it for the upcoming
beta-testing.

Here is a summary of my current experiments. I won't have time to further
investigate the issues I had with my IDE optical drives. I think I tried all
possible combinations and none worked in my case.

The Giga-Byte GA-8GPNXP Duo motherboard has 3 IDE ports:

- 2 green ones (IDE2/IDE3) which support ATA133 and RAID

- a pink one, a true IDE port which suppors ATA33/66/100.

I ran all my tests on the green ports with the "GigaRAID Function" setup
option set to ATA in "Integrated Peripherals" so that the GigaRAID
controller works as a true IDE/ATAPI controller.

I could not get any of my Plextor optical IDE drives PX-116A, PX-130A and
PX-712A to work on any of the IDE ports (IDE, IDE2 or IDE3). Only my old
Plextor PX-W2410 and my Maxtor 40GB IDE HDDs did work on any of the IDE
ports.

My quick and only solution for the optical drives were to buy 2 optical
Serial ATA (SATA) drives. So I bought 2 Plextor PX-712SA since I could not
find a SATA DVD reader.

Once I had my SATA optical drives, the remaining issue was to be able to
boot from a CD when a bootable CD is inserted in any of the optical drives.

With the F6 revision of the BIOS, my bootable CD are not detected as
bootable when the "SATA RAID/AHCI Mode" setup option is set to Disabled.
This always led to a Disk Error message since my HDDs were not formatted
yet.

On another hand I am able to boot from a CD when the SATA Mode option is set
to AHCI. The only drawback of this solution is that this mode requires an
Intel ICH6R (IAA) chipset driver diskette to install Windows.

AFAIK the SATA drives support in Windows XP is only available with the
Service Pack 1 and later.

I now have two possible working solutions, one with only SATA drives and one
with IDE HDDs and SATA optical drives.

* The mixed IDE/SATA solution:

- I plugged both my Maxtor HDDs to the true (pink) IDE port with a
80-conductor cable, one drive as master and the other one as slave.

- I plugged the first SATA optical drive to the SATA1 connector and the
second one to the SATA3 connector.

- In the BIOS, I set the related options like this:

On-Chip PCI IDE [ Enabled ]
SATA RAID/AHCI Mode [ AHCI ]
On-board H/W GigaRAID [ Disabled ]

Note: I could have used the GigaRAID ports instead of the true IDE, the
options would have been:

On-Chip PCI IDE [ Disabled ]
SATA RAID/AHCI Mode [ AHCI ]
On-board H/W GigaRAID [ Enabled ]
GigaRAID Function [ ATA ]

Hard Disk Boot Priority: 1. SCSI-0: IT8212

This solution would require to provide an ITE IT8212 chipset drivers
diskette during the Windows installation as well.

* The full SATA solution:

- I plugged my SATA Maxtor HDDs to the SATA1 and SATA3 connectors

- I plugged my SATA Plextor optical drives to the SATA2 and SATA4 connectors

- In the BIOS, I set the related options like this:

On-Chip PCI IDE [ Enabled ]
SATA RAID/AHCI Mode [ AHCI ]
On-board H/W GigaRAID [ Disabled ]

* Installing Windows XP

In either case, the installation of Windows is the same process.

- you first need to create the chipset diskette for the SATA controller in
AHCI mode. To do so, extract the files from "iaa40.exe" (on the CD provided
with the motherboard) to a diskette.

- Once the BIOS is configured, save the configuration and reboot with a
bootable CD of Windows XP SP1 in the first optical drive. Hit a key when the
message "Hit a key to boot from CD" appears. The Windows XP setup starts.

- When the message "Hit F6 for additional SCSI and RAID drivers" message
appears hit F6 and follow the steps to select a new driver from the
diskette. Select "82801FR AHCI".

- You can now successfully complete the Windows setup.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Noël
http://noeld.com/

Old March 8th 05, 06:25 PM
Noël Danjou

Here is another working (mixed PATA/SATA) configuration but which requires
no diskette to install the system, so no need to hit F6 and so on, just like
a standard IDE configuration.

I successfully tested it with Windows XP SP1a CD and Longhorn alpha preview
DVD.

Hardwa

- I plugged both my Maxtor HDDs to the true (pink) IDE port with a
80-conductor cable, one drive as master and the other one as slave.

- I plugged the first SATA optical drive to the SATA1 connector and the
second one to the SATA3 connector.

- In the BIOS, I set the related options like this:

On-Chip PCI IDE [ Enabled ]
SATA RAID/AHCI Mode [ Disabled ]
On-Chip SATA Mode [ Enhanced ]