Is my monitor dying?

Old September 30th 04, 07:42 AM
Dratam

Default Is my monitor dying?

I think my monitor is going bad, but would appreciate if anyone could back
up my conclusion.

I noticed strange lines running across my screen horizontally. It was as if
the screen wasn't refreshing propperly, and what was left of the old screen
could be seen on the top half and the new screen on the bottom half of the
monitor for a split second, if you catch my meaning. It is especially
noticable on white backgrounds, such as flickering in the sky in a game or
even moving white windows around on the desktop. Basically, things don't
line up correctly for a moment hear or there, as if the new picture wasn't
drawn right for a segment across the screen.

I at first thought this may be the GeForce FX 5900 flicker issue I read
about when I googled it, but subsequent testing has proven this false. I
have hooked up my girlfriends laptop to my own monitor and have the same
issue, so it is not my card or my computer, but seems to be the monitor. I
have also tried moving cables around and switching cards slots to see if
this affected anything, as well as changing refresh rates. If anything,
increasing the refresh rate only makes it worse.

Is this an unfixable monitor issue, spelling out the demise of my $150
envision monitor that is a year and a half old? I have moved it around a
lot, and wouldn't be suprised if something could have been damaged. Is
anyone familiar with the error I describe and the cause of it? I would
appreciate any feedback.

Specs:

evisions 19" CRT: EN-985e
Geforce FX 5900 (non ultra)

I can provide other descriptions and details if needed.

Thanks all,
Tom

Old September 30th 04, 12:32 PM
ASI Industries

Hi Tom, yes it sounds like it is on its way-out, first port of call is the
manufacturer.

http://envisionmonitor.com/home.html

Old September 30th 04, 05:32 PM
CapFusion

"Dratam" wrote in message
[...]

It might be a dying monitor but there no certain if it is or not. You can
try using another old monitor that is still working and try connecting to
the same card and see if it make any differences. If old monitor is working
then you can assumed your evision monitor is dying otherwise it can be your
card.

CapFusion,...

Old October 2nd 04, 06:27 PM
Squiggle

IF you feel confident enough,take the back off and find what is called the
"flyback transformer" It's a Black box with a thick red wire coming out of
the top. You should see two controls on it. One is focus and the other is
SCREEN. The strange lines are scan lines . Try turning this control back a
bit...it usually controls the "gamma" of the tube(background brightness)
MAKE SURE THE MONITOR HAS BEEN OFF FOR A DAY BEFORE YOU DO THIS!!!!
Failing that,if you knowa tecnician,often there is a failed resistor at
fault in these circumstances(usually on the back of the tube) That may fix
the problem but best to take it to atechnician if u dont know what ur doing.

PAUL

Old October 6th 04, 11:42 AM
Nom

Dratam wrote:
Is this an unfixable monitor issue, spelling out the demise of my $150
envision monitor that is a year and a half old? I have moved it
around a lot, and wouldn't be suprised if something could have been
damaged. Is anyone familiar with the error I describe and the cause
of it? I would appreciate any feedback.

CRTs have had three-year warranties for years now - just get it replaced.
Old October 7th 04, 07:58 AM
LooseNut

Monitors have been known to hold their charge for a month or more, If you feel confident screwing
around with 30,000 to 60,000 volts by all means take the cover off.