Chip fan doesn't run on Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 motherboard

Old February 5th 04, 02:24 AM
Luke

Default Chip fan doesn't run on Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 motherboard

I've just built a new system with a Gigabyte GA-7N400Pro2 motherboard. The
motherboard has a chip fan (not the CPU Heatsink/Fan), but this doesn't seem
to run at all (at least not when I've been looking at it). For anyone with
this motherboard, I am talking about the fan which has "Gigabyte 8X AGP"
written on it and connects to the NB_FAN connector on the motherboard. The
fan was connected when I bought the motherboard, so I believe it is
connected properly.

Anyone have any idea why this isn't working? Is it possible that it's simply
a BIOS option somewhere, where it only runs if needed to?
What danger is there in running the PC without this fan? Would I be able to
easily replace this fan, by either going back to Gigabyte or by buying
another fan the same size?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Luke

Old February 5th 04, 04:50 AM
Bret - Newsgroups

I'm not sure on that mobo if the Northbridge fan temp is controlled or
not....I would interested in the outcome since I'm planning on purchasing
that very mobo...does the connector only plug in one way??

Old February 5th 04, 09:45 AM
ElJerid

"Luke" wrote in message
[...]

You could try to connect the fan directly to a free power connector. If it
still doesn't work, the fan has a problem and needs replacement. If it
works, it was connected on a wrong way, or the motherboard has a problem and
you'd better return it under warranty.

Old February 5th 04, 10:50 AM
Luke

I'm not sure if the connector only plugs in one way. It was already
connected when I bought the motherboard, and from the diagram in the
motherboard manual showing how to connect it, it looks to be connected the
right way around.

Luke

Old February 5th 04, 10:52 AM
Luke

"ElJerid" wrote in message

"Luke" wrote in message
[...]

Unfortunately It has some special connector.... ie: it's not just a standard
power connector. It actually connects directly to the motherboard. I'll have
a look a bit later in the manual to see if there are any more similiar
connectors on the motherboard which I could use without any problems.

Thanks for the reply
Luke

Old February 5th 04, 11:58 AM
Mark²°°³

Luke wrote:
I've just built a new system with a Gigabyte GA-7N400Pro2 motherboard.

The

motherboard has a chip fan (not the CPU Heatsink/Fan), but this doesn't

seem

to run at all (at least not when I've been looking at it). For anyone

with

this motherboard, I am talking about the fan which has "Gigabyte 8X AGP"
written on it and connects to the NB_FAN connector on the motherboard.

snip

If you lurk around the gigabyte newsgroups, you'll find this is quite a
common problem (basically the fan is a piece of junk). I run a GA-81HXP
without any fan (fan removed, heatsink left in place) no problem -
system temp 36c.

--

Mark²°°³
Old February 5th 04, 12:13 PM
~misfit~

Luke wrote:
I've just built a new system with a Gigabyte GA-7N400Pro2
motherboard. The motherboard has a chip fan (not the CPU
Heatsink/Fan), but this doesn't seem to run at all (at least not when
I've been looking at it). For anyone with this motherboard, I am
talking about the fan which has "Gigabyte 8X AGP" written on it and
connects to the NB_FAN connector on the motherboard. The fan was
connected when I bought the motherboard, so I believe it is connected
properly.

Anyone have any idea why this isn't working? Is it possible that it's
simply a BIOS option somewhere, where it only runs if needed to?
What danger is there in running the PC without this fan? Would I be
able to easily replace this fan, by either going back to Gigabyte or
by buying another fan the same size?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Check the fan at different times of the day. Strangely enough, I read
somewhere that the 'pro' in the mobo designation is supposed to mean that
the board is for professional use, during business hours. Therefore the fan
runs 9-5 and then switches off. I kid you not! Other people have reported
this problem and that was Gigabyte's answer. I think (buy I'm not sure) that
it was mentioned in an issue of Australian PC User magazine a few months
back.

Check it at different times or re-set the BIOS clock and let us know.
--
~misfit~

Old February 5th 04, 08:21 PM
kony

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 09:50:08 GMT, "Luke"
wrote:

I'm not sure if the connector only plugs in one way. It was already
connected when I bought the motherboard, and from the diagram in the
motherboard manual showing how to connect it, it looks to be connected the
right way around.

I beleive they use a connector (I forget the name of it) similar to
those used on many video cards, which is keyed, does only plug in one
way.
Old February 6th 04, 04:15 AM
Luke

"~misfit~" wrote in message
Luke wrote:
[...]

Just checked it between 9am and 5pm and it doesn't seem to be working.
Thanks for the reply but

Regards
Luke

Old February 6th 04, 04:18 AM
Luke

"Mark²°°³" wrote in message
Luke wrote:
I've just built a new system with a Gigabyte GA-7N400Pro2 motherboard.

The

motherboard has a chip fan (not the CPU Heatsink/Fan), but this doesn't

seem

to run at all (at least not when I've been looking at it). For anyone

with

this motherboard, I am talking about the fan which has "Gigabyte 8X

AGP"
written on it and connects to the NB_FAN connector on the motherboard.

snip

If you lurk around the gigabyte newsgroups, you'll find this is quite a
common problem (basically the fan is a piece of junk). I run a GA-81HXP
without any fan (fan removed, heatsink left in place) no problem -
system temp 36c.
--

Mark²°°³

So basically the consensus is that it does not matter running the computer
without that fan working? My system temperature is also around 36c, but I
didn't know where the system temp sensor is compared to that chip. I want to
be able to leave this computer on 24 hours sometimes, and the main thing I
was afraid off is that chip burning up because the fan doesn't work.

Regards
Luke

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe OR GIGABYTE GA-7N400 PRO2 ? simon_c General 5 January 30th 04 09:30 PM
NIC BIOS chip programming €®ik General 5 October 22nd 03 09:17 AM
AMD AthlonXP2000+ und Gigabyte GA-7VTXE+ nur auf 100MHz FSB möglich? Patrick Velte General 6 July 29th 03 11:27 AM
advice on gigabyte MB Rich General 7 July 23rd 03 12:12 PM