NVMe M.2 SSD Win7, anyone with experience?

Old June 26th 16, 11:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Larc[_3_]

Default NVMe M.2 SSD Win7, anyone with experience?

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 19:11:23 -0400, B00ze wrote:

| Lol :-) They are not so much more expensive than regular SATA SSDs, but
| they are 3 to 5 times faster. Newer BIOSes all have support for them.
| But then will anything besides Windows work with those? For instance, I
| need to partition this before installing Windows, otherwise I'll end-up
| with that annoying 500MB boot partition that Windows likes to create to
| support BitLocker (which I dont need). Anything based on WinPE Win 8
| will not work. My Win7-based DART disk will surely not work, unless I
| pipe the HotFix into it (on ToDo list). Also not sure if Linux-based
| tools have all been updated (e.g. gPartedEd, PartEdMagic, Minitool
| Partition Wizard). And then I like to use BootIt to multi-boot, not sure
| if that will work at all. I could always go around the net asking this
| question on the forums of every tool I have, but that's kind of a pain...

I read somewhere within the past month or 2 that MiniTool Partition Wizard works with
NVMe except on Dell systems for some reason. Also, I suspect the diskpart utility on
a newer Windows installation DVD could handle the partitioning as well.

Larc
Old June 29th 16, 05:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
B00ze

On 2016-06-26 18:07, Larc wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 19:11:23 -0400, B00ze wrote:

| Lol :-) They are not so much more expensive than regular SATA SSDs, but
| they are 3 to 5 times faster. Newer BIOSes all have support for them.
| But then will anything besides Windows work with those? For instance, I
| need to partition this before installing Windows, otherwise I'll end-up
| with that annoying 500MB boot partition that Windows likes to create to
| support BitLocker (which I dont need). Anything based on WinPE Win 8
| will not work. My Win7-based DART disk will surely not work, unless I
| pipe the HotFix into it (on ToDo list). Also not sure if Linux-based
| tools have all been updated (e.g. gPartedEd, PartEdMagic, Minitool
| Partition Wizard). And then I like to use BootIt to multi-boot, not sure
| if that will work at all. I could always go around the net asking this
| question on the forums of every tool I have, but that's kind of a pain...

I read somewhere within the past month or 2 that MiniTool Partition Wizard works with
NVMe except on Dell systems for some reason. Also, I suspect the diskpart utility on
a newer Windows installation DVD could handle the partitioning as well.

Thanks, I'll go download the newer MiniTool Wizard - But I've already
decided to use a SATA SSD for the time being; by the time I buy the next
PC NVMe will be firmly entrenched (hell, something else will probably
have come up displacing it - I don't upgrade my PCs very often).

Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Memberavid-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society

Old July 13th 16, 07:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
B00ze

On 2016-06-26 18:07, Larc wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 19:11:23 -0400, B00ze wrote:

| Lol :-) They are not so much more expensive than regular SATA SSDs, but
| they are 3 to 5 times faster. Newer BIOSes all have support for them.
| But then will anything besides Windows work with those? For instance, I
| need to partition this before installing Windows, otherwise I'll end-up
| with that annoying 500MB boot partition that Windows likes to create to
| support BitLocker (which I dont need). Anything based on WinPE Win 8
| will not work. My Win7-based DART disk will surely not work, unless I
| pipe the HotFix into it (on ToDo list). Also not sure if Linux-based
| tools have all been updated (e.g. gPartedEd, PartEdMagic, Minitool
| Partition Wizard). And then I like to use BootIt to multi-boot, not sure
| if that will work at all. I could always go around the net asking this
| question on the forums of every tool I have, but that's kind of a pain...

I read somewhere within the past month or 2 that MiniTool Partition Wizard works with
NVMe except on Dell systems for some reason. Also, I suspect the diskpart utility on
a newer Windows installation DVD could handle the partitioning as well.

Larc

Good day. The NEXT version of Partition Wizard will support NVMe
(probably) because they are moving away from Linux and going WinPE. For
now however, it does not support NVME, as I found this in the comments
on their site:

Dean Parmenter

I cannot see NVMe drives with the bootable image.

MiniTool Software Mod Dean Parmenter - a month ago

What is the interface of your NVME drive, currently Partition Wizard is
not compatible with the new interface such as M.2. Only the traditional
interface IDE/SATA can be recognized by Partition Wizard. Regards.

Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Memberavid-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo It's lonely at the top, but you eat better.

Win7-SSD, or Win7-HDD-SSD Timothy Daniels[_4_] Storage (alternative) 14 April 28th 13 01:36 AM
SSD or HD for Win7 Guillaume Tello Homebuilt PC's 11 December 27th 11 10:30 AM
win7 and P4's mc Dell Computers 24 September 21st 10 09:35 PM
M2N-E and Win7 DraggonFodder Asus Motherboards 11 October 25th 09 01:34 PM