6800 variations?

Old December 30th 04, 11:20 PM
SL

Default 6800 variations?

hello group,

I have about 300$ to throw at new video card this weekend at my computer
show. Their prices are usually on par with places like pricewatch and
newegg for video cards. My credit card is hurting and Im not going using
it this time for an online purchase.

So, I have been an Ati user for a time now and see the new 6800 series of
cards Nvidia has are nice performers. I currently use a 9800pro card.

I am not as familiar with the Nvidia line and was hoping that you can let me
know what the differences of that line are. I have done some reading and I
think it seems to go like this:

6800 LE
6800 GT
6800 XT
6800 Ultra

Is this a rough guide of worst to best in that line? Also, which one would
be closest to my 300$ limit? It looks like a 6800 GT is the one Im looking
at.

Thanks for reading,
SL

Old December 31st 04, 12:37 AM
elrod

well the 6800le has 8 pipelines and is around $250 128mb
then the 6800nu {non ultra)$275-300 range 12 pipelines 128mb
6800gt 16 pipelines faster ddr3 memory 16pipes $350-400 256mb ram
6800 ultra 16 pipes, a little faster than the gt.. big bucks! 256mb ram

I just currently bought a 6800 nu {non ultra} 128mb ram and I really like
it.. cost me about $274 shipped to my door..I also upgraded from a 9800
pro..pretty big difference at high resolution, and hi detail... overall I'm
happy with the upgrade//

Old December 31st 04, 12:45 AM
Cuzman

"SL" wrote in message

" Is this a rough guide of worst to best in that line? "

Your order is somewhat incorrect, and there isn't an 'XT' in the 6xxx range.
Read this thread: http://tinyurl.com/48ry9

For $300 you can get a 6800, but probably not a 6800GT.

Old December 31st 04, 01:01 AM
Bob Knowlden

I don't recall that a "6800XT" exists.

The models I have heard of a

6800LE
6800
6800GT
6800 Ultra

(There's also the 6800 Ultra Extreme, but it is either rare or
unobtainable.)

I believe that the 6800LE has 8 pixel pipelines, the 6800 has 12, and the GT
and Ultra, 16. The 6800 usually comes with 128 MB of GDDR memory, and the GT
and Ultra usually have 256 MB of GDDR3 memory.

There are standard configurations for each, but makers can depart from the
standards. There are opportunities for nasty surprises, like a manufacturer
could sell an Ultra that uses 2.0 ns memory rather than the usual 1.6 ns.
(The difference might be small in practice, but it could be an annoyance.)

I suggest checking at www.newegg.com. They list cards from a number of
manufacturers. At $300 (US) and below, the fastest cards are vanilla 6800s.
Newegg lists one 6800GT for just over $300, with 128 MB of GDDR memory: it
sounds like it's essentially a 6800 with all 16 pipes active. (There are
tricks to activate the additional 4 pipelines on a normal 6800, but success
is not assured.)

The full 6800GT is fairly popular, and some can be overclocked above
ordinary Ultra speeds (400 MHz core / 1100 MHz memory). It might be worth
getting if you can manage closer to $400.

A 6600GT may be a better deal than a 6800LE. (Make sure to get the AGP
version, not PCI Express.) Newegg has them for a little over $200.

Newegg's prices are not always the lowest, but if you check Pricewatch, I
doubt that you'll find ones that are much lower.

Just to complicate things, you may also wish to consider the ATI Radeon X800
family. The X800 Pro is supposed to be comparable in performance to a
6800GT, although the X800 Pro only has 12 pipes. (Unfortunately, it is also
comparable in price.)

HTH.

Bob Knowlden

Old December 31st 04, 04:43 AM
lonesw0rdsman

"SL" wrote in message
[...]

I had wanted a gt model but got a 6800nu for $247 shipped with a 30 mir.
when comp usa had a sale a few weeks ago. Couldnt pass up such a good deal.

I had a 5900 before and this definitely is a major improvement able to run
at a high res with nice framerates. I opted to go the nu route just in case
in a few months I might want to upgrade pci-e. So why drop $400.

Old December 31st 04, 07:01 AM
McGrandpa

"SL" wrote in message

[...]

Not quite the correct order, and one is missing. Have a look at this
'specs sheet' for GPU's.
http://users.erols.com/chare/video.htm When you get down to the nVidia
gpu's, the 6xxx series, start looking at buses and pixel pipes.
6800 LE - 8
6800 - 12
6800GT - 16
6800Ultra - 16