Power supply question for 6800 Ultra

Old August 22nd 04, 07:47 PM
MJ

Default Power supply question for 6800 Ultra

I just ordered a BFG6800-ultra-oc. I have read how Nvidia has lowered its
recommended PSU (for those who don't OC)

I have an Antec 430 PSU
XP2800 Barton
1Gig DDR
Raid drives, optical drives, audigy card, firewire card, etc...

Do I really need to buy a 480 PSU? Obviously I will put in the card when I
get it and test it out, but I would like to use it as soon as I get it...

Thanks,

MJ

Old August 22nd 04, 08:04 PM
MJ

BTW, I have read the post's here already, and figure it will be good enough
but with everything else in my rig, I don't know if there is enough juice...

4 hard drives on raid, 2 optical drives, firewire, sb card, 4 case fans (but
might add one of those slot fans)

Old August 22nd 04, 08:11 PM
Jeff B

Do I really need to buy a 480 PSU? Obviously I will put in the card when I
get it and test it out, but I would like to use it as soon as I get it...

Thanks,

MJ

You don't need another supply. I have used two different
300W supplies on a 6800u OCed to 440+. Works perfectly on
both. I've also used the 6800u on an Antec 430 watt, it too worked
perfectly with 6800u, in fact, the rails didn't even sag
with the 430W supply.

Jeff B

Old August 23rd 04, 12:29 AM
DaveW

Running the 430 watt Antec you just might fry your heavily componented
system with the 6800 Ultra video card. There really is a reason WHY they
recommend a MINIMUM power supply of 480 Watts.

--
DaveW

ink.net...

Old August 23rd 04, 01:13 AM
pcgr1

This is what I found when I researched this.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05...s_6096837.html

Pat

"DaveW" wrote in message
Running the 430 watt Antec you just might fry your heavily componented
system with the 6800 Ultra video card. There really is a reason WHY they
recommend a MINIMUM power supply of 480 Watts.

--
DaveW

ink.net...

Old August 23rd 04, 04:16 AM
MJ

"DaveW" wrote in message
Running the 430 watt Antec you just might fry your heavily componented
system with the 6800 Ultra video card. There really is a reason WHY they
recommend a MINIMUM power supply of 480 Watts.

--
DaveW

THanks, thats what I was concerned about... with all the componants in my
system.

Old August 23rd 04, 07:06 AM
Richard Dower

"DaveW" wrote in message
Running the 430 watt Antec you just might fry your heavily componented
system with the 6800 Ultra video card. There really is a reason WHY they
recommend a MINIMUM power supply of 480 Watts.

--
DaveW

So will my Antec 550W have enough juice?
When are Antec gonna do a TruePower II series with 600-650W PSU's, cable
sleeving and modular????

WHEN?!??

Old August 23rd 04, 10:18 AM
Larry L.

There really is a reason WHY they
recommend a MINIMUM power supply of 480 Watts.

As they themselves said, the reason for this specification was due to "worst
case scenarios," and this number took into account the fact that poor
quality power supplies, which are quite common, can grossly underperform.
The Antec TruePower series are very high quality power supplies -- if all
power supplies were this good, that specification would have been a LOT
lower.

So will my Antec 550W have enough juice?
When are Antec gonna do a TruePower II series with 600-650W PSU's, cable
sleeving and modular????

WHEN?!??

At this point, there simply aren't any systems that "need" this much power
as long as it's a high quality power supply, so there isn't really a reason
to build them. Keep in mind that there are low quality 600 watt supplies
that don't perform as well as high quality 400 watt supplies -- I think an
Antec 550 would handle ANY system you could build today.

There's a reason that the biggest computer power supply from Antec (one of
the most popular power supply manufactures) is "only" a 550 watt. It's
simply powerful enough for the most power hungry systems today.

Larry