Video capture card or AGP card with VIVO

Old August 8th 04, 06:40 AM
Paul Ward

Default Video capture card or AGP card with VIVO

New to all this. I want to copy my old VHS tapes to HD then burn to DVD.

Do the new Video cards with video in do the same thing as a video capture
card? Do the new video cards do the digital conversion from composite video?
Are there video cards available that will handle Pal and NTSC?

Please post to the list

Old August 8th 04, 08:08 AM
Chuck

New to all this. I want to copy my old VHS tapes to HD then burn to DVD.

Do the new Video cards with video in do the same thing as a video capture
card? Do the new video cards do the digital conversion from composite

video?
Are there video cards available that will handle Pal and NTSC?

Please post to the list

My buddy just bought a Go-Video unit. DVD recorder and HiFi Vhs combo, both
record from TV. He puts his tape in one side, blank DVD on the other and
hits one button. It's a sweet set up. I'll find the model # if interested.

Old August 8th 04, 02:14 PM
J. Clarke

Paul Ward wrote:

New to all this. I want to copy my old VHS tapes to HD then burn to DVD.

Do the new Video cards with video in do the same thing as a video capture
card?

Yes. Whether more or less well depends on which VIVO board you're comparing
with which standalone capture board.

Do the new video cards do the digital conversion from composite
video?

Are you asking if they do MPEG compression in hardware? If so, no.

Are there video cards available that will handle Pal and NTSC?

Nearly all of them will, but check the manufacturer's specs before you buy.

Please post to the list

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old August 9th 04, 01:21 PM
John Lee Brown

If you have USB II then I would recomend one of the external capture devices
like the Leadtek Winfast TV USB II device. It does all of the conversions
internally and then sends the video to your computer. Since I went to the
external capture unit I no longer get the voice and picture out of phase and
I get a much better picture quality over all.

Old August 10th 04, 01:48 PM
jolphil

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Paul Ward wrote:

New to all this. I want to copy my old VHS tapes to HD then burn to DVD.

Do the new Video cards with video in do the same thing as a video

capture
card?

Yes. Whether more or less well depends on which VIVO board you're

comparing
with which standalone capture board.

Do the new video cards do the digital conversion from composite
video?

Are you asking if they do MPEG compression in hardware? If so, no.

Are there video cards available that will handle Pal and NTSC?

Nearly all of them will, but check the manufacturer's specs before you

buy.

Please post to the list

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Hi,
B4 you purchase a new video card with capture features,i suggest you
do a google search for "WDM white bar"..You will uncover a problem
that most of us have that is little known until you try to capture
your own video..Goodluck,
jolphil