Not OT, right on topic: Ridiculous prices+rich(?) people=inflation in the market

Old August 7th 04, 06:41 PM
PRIVATE1964

I think you are naive. If you think product x is too expensive then don't
buy it.

That's right, don't buy it and that forces them to lower their prices quicker.
Old August 7th 04, 08:10 PM
JK

GT-Force wrote:

Hi,

I just can't help but see that people are not ****ed off, but in fact paying
these ridiculous graphics card bills.

I remember the days we were paying $65 for a really good graphics card.
Although I know that todays's cards are way way different than those days',
I still think that especially latest generation cards are way overpriced.
$600?!? $500? Please, even $400?

You don't have to buy a bleeding edge card if you don't want to, however
if you spend many hours playing games, the cost of even a very expensive
card per hour of game play will be small.

Always remember: If no one buys them, the prices WILL go down, and quick!

Not really. What would probably happen instead is that cards that are
such hard end won't be made, less money will be spent on R&D, and
even lower priced cards won't evolve as rapidly. Sales of the highest
end cards drive R&D spending, and lead to great improvents even
in low priced cards.

The rich, or dumb, pull the prices up, and keep them up by paying for these
ridiculous price tags; and we all loose!

No. Read my previous comments. Without sale of expensive cards, R&D
spending would be much smaller, and technology advances would be
much slower. These advances trickle down to the low priced cards as well
after a while. A low priced card now might is probably a much better
performer than the highest end card of 5 years ago. Even if you don't think
it is worth it for you to buy a very expensive card, be thankful that others
are buying them, as it drives R&D spending and advances that trickle
down to even the lowest priced cards after a bit of time.

The companies will milk the bejeesus out of us, if they can, nad they will.
Why would not they? If I could sell something for the most that I could sell
it for,i.e., not for what it's worth,

It is worth what people will pay for it. The cost to make it is just the cost of

parts and assembly, but all the high cost R&D that went into it.

why would I sell it for any lower,
right?

Same applies to latest (especially hyped) games, a very good example is
Doom3. $55 for a game? Good God! No way I am paying that.

Many are paying it. If they play the game for 200 hours, that is under 30 cents
an hour.

Card prices are
already inflated, I am not going to help inflating the game prices now.

Come on people, THINK and ACT! Please...
I thought that the 'computer community' was a little smarter than this.
Let's not be herd by the marketers of these companies.

What do you think? Spell your guts, it's your turn.

GT

Old August 7th 04, 08:13 PM
JK

It also forces them to cut R&D, and new products are released at a much
slower pace.

Old August 7th 04, 08:55 PM
GT-Force

"Blahguy" wrote in message
I think you are naive. If you think product x is too expensive then don't
buy it.

That's what I am already doing, but my point was not it. My point was the
inflated, overpriced games and hardware.

As you said, if they can afford to sell it for lower, as they are doing in
other countries, why not in US? Because customers are willing to and do pay
more. This is the ONLY reason for these ridiculous prices, I think.

GT

Old August 7th 04, 09:08 PM
tq96

edge state of the art. Total cost, 8 years ago, over $500. Total cost
today, at least $550. So how have things changed costwise, exactly?

Several years ago, NVidia's flagship product was the TNT2 Ultra. The price
was about $250. Now it's the Geforce 6800 Ultra @ $500. That's a 100%
increase.

Old August 7th 04, 09:30 PM
JK

Why must you buy the most expensive card? There are obviously those
who are willing to buy it though, otherwise it wouldn't be made. Think
of how much fancy cars, boats, etc. and other hobbies cost.

Old August 7th 04, 11:32 PM
Mr. Brian Allen

Anyone remember the good old days of the Speccy and C64 when you could
pick up a game for £1.99 on cassette?

I had a TRS 80 with the tape games. Space Probe Math kicked ass.

Old August 7th 04, 11:35 PM
Dick Kistler

"GT-Force" wrote in message
Hi,

I just can't help but see that people are not ****ed off, but in fact

paying
these ridiculous graphics card bills.

I remember the days we were paying $65 for a really good graphics card.
Although I know that todays's cards are way way different than those

days',
I still think that especially latest generation cards are way overpriced.
$600?!? $500? Please, even $400?

Companies that make the stuff will charge the highest price that people will
pay.
They also will be more complacent because they will have larger cash
reserves.

Always remember: If no one buys them, the prices WILL go down, and quick!
The rich, or dumb, pull the prices up, and keep them up by paying for

these
ridiculous price tags; and we all loose!

The companies will milk the bejeesus out of us, if they can, nad they

will.
Why would not they? If I could sell something for the most that I could

sell
it for,i.e., not for what it's worth, why would I sell it for any lower,
right?

Not only will you save money if you don't buy, but you will put pressure on
the
companies to offer more value for the dollar. This will drive more
innovation.

Same applies to latest (especially hyped) games, a very good example is
Doom3. $55 for a game? Good God! No way I am paying that. Card prices are
already inflated, I am not going to help inflating the game prices now.

Come on people, THINK and ACT! Please...
I thought that the 'computer community' was a little smarter than this.
Let's not be herd by the marketers of these companies.

What do you think? Spell your guts, it's your turn.

GT

The argument that the extra dollars go to R&D is purely hypothetical.
At this point, we don't know where the money goes-it may go into
advertising or into the pockets of executives. However I don't think
that high prices drive innovation. More competition and discerning
customers that demand high value for a reasonable price drive innovation
more than than customers that buy the hottest thing available for
the highest price.

Buy your cards and games for best performance per dollar, not just
best performance.

Dick Kistler

Old August 8th 04, 12:15 AM
JK

Dick Kistler wrote:

"GT-Force" wrote in message
[...]

Even the highest priced video cards aren't expensive compared to other luxury
items. If you calculate the cost per hour of use for high priced cards, it might

be quite low for many people. If someone averages 400 hours a year of
game play, and uses a video card for two years, even the most expensive consumer
level video card would cost under $1 an hour. The highest priced
cards aren't meant for the majority. Cards 1/2 to 1/3 of the prices of the top
ones are very popular though.

Dick Kistler

Not OT, right on topic: Ridiculous prices+rich(?) people=inflation in the market GT-Force Ati Videocards 31 August 10th 04 05:05 PM
oops.. steve General 6 April 28th 04 01:43 AM
AMD Barton 2500 prices [email protected] General 1 January 2nd 04 01:15 PM
AMD slashes prices upto 40% Jerry McBride Overclocking AMD Processors 1 December 9th 03 04:46 AM
Higher prices for CDRs they say in a news article Mutley Cdr 7 November 9th 03 10:04 AM