Improvement?

Old August 1st 04, 04:23 AM
John Smith

Default Improvement?

I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on buying
Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

Old August 1st 04, 05:19 AM
Dirtyred

John Smith wrote:
I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on
buying Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

It will make a HUGE difference.

--
Just for kicks let's look at the word funeral for a moment. Starts with
the word FUN doesn't it.

Old August 1st 04, 05:43 AM
Augustus

"John Smith" wrote in message
I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on

buying
Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

Improve your experience is something of an understatement. The 9800 Pro has
10 times the bandwidth.

Old August 1st 04, 05:53 AM
Aki Peltola

"John Smith" wrote
I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on

buying
Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

Are you kidding? I upgraded from _GF3 Ti200_ to _9600pro_
and still noticed _massive_ improvement in every game, so your
improvement should be _gigantic_ :-)

Old August 1st 04, 06:08 AM
Larry Roberts

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:23:22 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on buying
Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

A Geforce 3 would be an improvement! Need I say more?
Old August 1st 04, 08:08 AM
deimos

John Smith wrote:

I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on buying
Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

2 words:

Um.

Yes.
Old August 1st 04, 08:25 AM
Thomas

John Smith wrote:
I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on
buying Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

Sure the card is ALOT faster. Just be sure yr powersupply is powerful
enough... (300 if it's a decent brand, 350 if it's not)

Thomas

Old August 1st 04, 10:06 AM
One Punch Mickey

"John Smith" wrote in
:

I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on
buying Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

It will be a different world in terms of GFX my friend.
Old August 1st 04, 10:16 AM
orlando

John Smith wrote:
I run a geoforce 2 mx 400 on a p4, 2gig, 768RD ram. Will a ATI 9800pro
improve my experience? I really only play Counter-Strike and plan on buying
Counter-Strike: Source when it's out.

Sure, its A LOT faster. But, if your planning to play CS only
get a cheap gf 4 ti4200 and pay no more then 50 bucks. For the newer
games (Far Cry,Doom3...) the 9800 sure is the best on the market now though.
Old August 1st 04, 10:38 AM
RayO

Any ATi or Nvidia based card, with a chipset
released within the last year or so, priced
over $100 at a competitive online store,
will provide a huge boost over that card.
Even some of the ones below $100 are
going to be far better.

If you want to stay below the $250 mark,
you might also consider waiting for the LE
version of the Nvidia 6800 series. The 6800s
look very good right now, though the current
models are $300-600. The sweet one is
the GT model, at about $400, if you can find it available.
The LE ones should be about half that, and are due
within the next few months.

My preferred Nvidia vendors: Leadtek, Gainward,
eVGA, in that order. Preferred online shop: Newegg,
Newegg, Newegg, in that order! g

RayO