What I think of the FX 5600 compared to the Ti4200 I had...

Old February 25th 04, 08:45 PM
Bruce Tyler

Default What I think of the FX 5600 compared to the Ti4200 I had...

Before you go slagging me off for owning an FX 5600 card,, I have to
tell you that I wound up owning this one under protest...

I recently upgraded
from...
Asus A7M266 m/b
512mb PC2100
XP2000+
Leadtek Ti4200 128mb 280 LE

to...
Gigabyte G7N400 m/b
1 gb PC3200
XP3000
Leadtek Ti4200 128mb (the card above - read on further)

I sold (virtually gave away) the above m/b, CPU & RAM to my brother. I
put my PC together and was reasonably happy with the result,, then I
put my old bits into my brothers PC. Now,, he insisted on buying a
better graphics card than his GeForce 2 MX (whatever). OK, he ended up
buying a Chaintech FX5600 XT card, which we all thought was a
reasonable upgrade from the GF2.. Fair enough, so did I,, only it
didn't want to run on the Asus m/b, so we took it back and swapped it
but unfortunatley the replacement was the same. Now,, I'm talking 3
days worth of non-stop headaches to try to get this thing going. We
tried the older GF2 - fine. We tried my Ti4200 - fine,, BUT the FX
card - No Go,, No Way,, No How...

Brother was getting ****ed of because he naturally thought I was
trying to put one over him and that my older bits were faulty. Anyway-
after these 3 days of endless try, try, try,, I asked him to get a
Ti4200 and all the problems would be over. We located ONE Ti4200 in
the whole friggin city - ALL the other PC shops I tried, no longer
have them - Out of stock etc etc... The price of the available Ti4200
was the same as the FX5600 card and my brother almost threw up because
he would have to pay the same dollars for an older card.. I "tried" to
tell him that he would be getting a real good card but it wouldn't
wash with him, as he knows nothing about computers, but to no avail..
I ended up throwing in my Ti4200 just keep him happy and get this
nightmare over with. He came over lastnight and picked up his "newer"
PC and the grin on his face was too big to hide as he saw the
difference from his Pentium III 550 to this newer beast ... I,
however, just knew I would live to regret it - and I have...!!!!
*******************
*******************
My thoughts and observations on the FX5600 in the past 2 days.
First, I have Det 53.06 drivers and DX9.0b installed, WinXP Pro
SP1a... As of yet I have NOT tweaked anything...
I have run games like Vietcong,, Black Hawk Down - Team Sabre,, GP4,,
Call of Duty,, Medal of Honor... Virtual Skipper 3...

ALL of the above games look one heck of a lot richer for textures.
There is no comparison between the 2 cards. Texture detail is far
better, more alive and brilliant. You will never make a believer of me
if you try to tell me that a Ti4200 can even compete on this level -
No Way Jose...

Speed - Now we see where it gets the ability to look better - at the
cost of speed... At the same in-games settings as the Ti4200, the
FX5600 just plain can't keep up in FPS. I would hazard a guess that a
nett loss would be about 5 - 10% in Frames Per Sec...

Black Hawk Down was the first game to be fired up and the first level
I went into (a downloaded MP level) was hard on my previous system. It
looked a whole lot better but went a little slower. I changed a few
settings and lowered the texture details of a few things and got it to
run about the same as before. Overall, I would say it is slightly
better but I am not that happy with it... Call of Duty was the second
game to be tried but I didn't really notice any fps drop-off in the,
until the fighting got a little rough, then it was evident. Medal of
Honor was much easier to run as it never really slowed down at all but
looked and performed better all-round. Vietcong looked good but ran
slow levels which had rain in them. Lowering the detail level fixed
that... GP4 was next and it ran about the same as before but looked a
little dark - to be honest, a whole lot darker - Was this better
textures or just "darker" due to drivers..???

Then came Virtual Skipper 3.. I only ever tried this on the Ti4200 the
one time as it required 52.16 drivers or later. I was running 41.09's
with the Ti4200 but dared to try 53.06. It ran ok but details of coast
lines etc was poor - real poor... This was at the max setting in the
game though. With the FX5600, at the same setting, the coast/shore
line was feature rich and the ocean waves and spray came alive.
Textures just could not be compared to the Ti4200 - is was far
greater.. BUT you could count the frames. I had to go one setting
(there are 4 settings - low to max) lower to get it to run to an
accpetable/playable level...

Overall impression thus far...

You have to remember that I "was" running a slower m/b (Asus A7M266)
with an XP2000+ and 512mb of PC2100 RAM. Now I have a more modern (I
don't know how much better though..!!!) m/b with 2x 512mb (1GB) of
PC3200 RAM in Dual Data Channel mode and an XP3000 CPU... Given all
those upgrades, I have to say that I am rather disappointed (where's
the toilet - I want to be sick) with the lack of performance.

Maybe there are some settings I can play with in BIOS and/or nVidia
CPL to tweak things up a little,, but from past experience, this will
yield only a Gnats fart of noticable better performance, so - I think
I am knackered...

I am not that happy... I can't take it back and swap for a more modern
card as I have simply spent more than I allowed for this upgrade and
now have to pay the price of a dented pride... I guess I can live with
that.. I don't have a choice...

This FX card has 256 mb of wasted video RAM on it and value for money,
I would rate it about 3 out of 10 and I think that's being generous...

I was wondering if anyone had anything "good" to say about FX5600's
but I already know that answer...

Oh God, I am feeling sick again..!!!!
Old February 25th 04, 11:27 PM
Derek Wildstar

"Bruce Tyler" wrote in message

I was wondering if anyone had anything "good" to say about FX5600's
but I already know that answer...

The 5700U is the minimum acceptable upgrade from a Ti4200 that has been
boosted to 44/4600 levels. The 5600 is an inadequate performer. This has
been established for some time, did you not check the many online reviews of
the past several months?

Did you not read the opinoiins of many here as well?

Oh God, I am feeling sick again..!!!!

Your brain is punishing your body for not thinking this process through, sad
but true.

Old February 26th 04, 01:26 AM
Bruce Tyler

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:27:11 GMT, "Derek Wildstar"
wrote:

"Bruce Tyler" wrote in message
.. .

I was wondering if anyone had anything "good" to say about FX5600's
but I already know that answer...

The 5700U is the minimum acceptable upgrade from a Ti4200 that has been
boosted to 44/4600 levels. The 5600 is an inadequate performer. This has
been established for some time, did you not check the many online reviews of
the past several months?

You must have missed it =The card was not bought for me.. It was
originally for an update from a GeForce 2 MX card to FX in my
"brothers" computer but it never worked on that m/b so after a few
days of racking my brain trying to get it to go, I was getting tired
of hearing how this was "all my fault" because I was giving him faulty
gear. Just to get him off my back, I threw in my Ti4200 and put the
FX5600 in mine, knowing full well that both his PC and mine would work
this way...

Did you not read the opinoiins of many here as well?

I basically knew what it might perform like in mine but I was willing
to accept this just to get this PC out of this house and back where it
came from... At the time, I thought there might have been a "small"
increase but I was NOT holding my breath...

Oh God, I am feeling sick again..!!!!

Your brain is punishing your body for not thinking this process through, sad
but true.

Oh,, I thought it through more than you probably care to realize -
given the circumstances and the mind torture my brother tried to put
me through...

I had built 3 PC's in one day and his was the last and the only one
not to work 100%, because of the card which obviously just doesn't
like that m/b... No-ones fault as such, just a freak of computer
nature...

The illness comes from the fact that I spent quite a few bucks going
from the XP2000 to an XP3000 and feeling quite happy woth myself, only
to have the rug pulled out from under my feet at the last moment... I
built 2 PC's from scratch in about 3 hours and they both fired up
first time. The last PC was a different kettle of fish.. In the end, I
had to rob the card from mine and put it in his...

For heavens sake man - Don't you know what older brothers are like,,
even at our age...???? Hahahahahaha..!!!!

What the heck - there are worse things to happen.... One day I will
replace it...
Old February 26th 04, 01:30 AM
Carl and Cassandra Sullivan

Sorry to hear that boss, you want to sell it, if so how much I might make a
deal. Atleast you did not do as bad as me, I got a FX 5200 with 256 ram
for a present, so went a head and auctioned off my Geforce 4 ti 4200 before
i stuck the d*** card in, all I have to say it least i have a few more
dollars in my pocket. Hopefully you wont feel so bad.

Old February 26th 04, 02:22 AM
Bruce Tyler

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:30:21 -0500, "Carl and Cassandra Sullivan"
wrote:

Sorry to hear that boss, you want to sell it, if so how much I might make a
deal. Atleast you did not do as bad as me, I got a FX 5200 with 256 ram
for a present, so went a head and auctioned off my Geforce 4 ti 4200 before
i stuck the d*** card in, all I have to say it least i have a few more
dollars in my pocket. Hopefully you wont feel so bad.

I suppose I can live with it... It's not worth slashing my wrists
over, just that "now" I see what all the previous disappointments in
here and other forums, with the earlier FX cards were about...

To be honest, now that the brothers PC is out of here, I am happy.
Sort of a compensation on its own... Life is nothing more than a bunch
of experiences ONLY how come I always end up experiencing it all...???
Hahahaha...

Old February 26th 04, 02:44 AM
Derek Wildstar

"Bruce Tyler" wrote in message

What the heck - there are worse things to happen.... One day I will
replace it...

Ah, now I have the entire story, you are a good man for doing what you did,
and not only do you have a very upbeat attitude about the entire affair, but
now I think I can add you to the ranks of nV faithful who will steer any and
all away from the 5600.

Don't feel bad, we all have been snookered by these inconsiderate b-strds in
our day. I wear a Celeron Talisman around my neck, always reminding me to
review first, buy later!

Old February 26th 04, 03:39 AM
Bruce Tyler

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 01:44:14 GMT, "Derek Wildstar"
wrote:

"Bruce Tyler" wrote in message
.. .

What the heck - there are worse things to happen.... One day I will
replace it...

Ah, now I have the entire story, you are a good man for doing what you did,
and not only do you have a very upbeat attitude about the entire affair, but
now I think I can add you to the ranks of nV faithful who will steer any and
all away from the 5600.

Don't feel bad, we all have been snookered by these inconsiderate b-strds in
our day. I wear a Celeron Talisman around my neck, always reminding me to
review first, buy later!

Hahahaha... I here ya = T-O-T-A-L-L-Y Agree with all you say
here....
Old February 26th 04, 01:02 PM
Darthy

wrote:

Sorry to hear that boss, you want to sell it, if so how much I might make a
deal. Atleast you did not do as bad as me, I got a FX 5200 with 256 ram
for a present, so went a head and auctioned off my Geforce 4 ti 4200 before
i stuck the d*** card in, all I have to say it least i have a few more
dollars in my pocket. Hopefully you wont feel so bad.

ARGH! HOlY **** that had to HURT!

You ought to send nvidia a hate mail on that one...

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old February 26th 04, 01:04 PM
Darthy

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:45:30 +1300, Bruce Tyler wrote:

days worth of non-stop headaches to try to get this thing going. We
tried the older GF2 - fine. We tried my Ti4200 - fine,, BUT the FX
card - No Go,, No Way,, No How...

Brother was getting ****ed of because he naturally thought I was
trying to put one over him and that my older bits were faulty. Anyway-
after these 3 days of endless try, try, try,, I asked him to get a
Ti4200 and all the problems would be over. We located ONE Ti4200 in
the whole friggin city - ALL the other PC shops I tried, no longer

I'd say screw it... he make it work then....

A POS card is the problem... oh well... Sorry about your LOSS thou...

Your faster CPU is making up for it. Curious, the AMD64 3000 is a
few bucks more than the AMD3000... smokes it

Hey... you both could be using Intel Celerons...

Old February 26th 04, 07:30 PM
Bruce Tyler

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:02:02 GMT, Darthy
wrote:

You ought to send nvidia a hate mail on that one...

Now - that's the best thing I'vw seen all day... I feel like doing
just that... BUT,, I guess it would take them a year to read all the
hate mail they have already, before they get to mine...