Geforce 3 TI500 or ATI Radeon 9600

Old December 9th 03, 07:30 PM
MarkH

Default Geforce 3 TI500 or ATI Radeon 9600

Hi I have the option of a Geforce 3 Ti500 or a Radeon 9600 non pro, its not
going to cost me any pounds for either card, which is the better card.
I have a geforce 2 Ti at the moment so either card is an improvment.

Thanks for any info
Mark H

Old December 9th 03, 08:00 PM
DaveL

It all depends on which 9600 it is you are looking at. Some come with 64
bit memory and are much slower than the ti500. If it is a 128 bit card
clocked at 325/400 then it will be a little faster than the ti. The 9600
also comes with full DX9 support. The ti is a DX8 card.

The ti500 will be plug and play, no need to reconfigure anything. You may
never get the 9600 to run properly.

Dave

Old December 9th 03, 08:21 PM
Larry Roberts

"MarkH" wrote in message
Hi I have the option of a Geforce 3 Ti500 or a Radeon 9600 non pro, its

not
going to cost me any pounds for either card, which is the better card.
I have a geforce 2 Ti at the moment so either card is an improvment.

Thanks for any info
Mark H

Why wouldn't he need be able to get 9600 to run properly? All
he needs to do is uninstall the Nvidia drivers, then use driver
cleaner to get rid of all registry references that might remain, then
install the 9600, and it's drivers... Works everytime I've changed
cards. I also do this even if I'm upgrading to the same company's
cards.
Didn't know the 9600/9700/9800 varients had 64bit memory
versions. The only ATI card I was aware of was the 9200 SE. Alot
easier to spot than Nvidia's 5200 line, which they don't specify at
all which ones are 64bit, or 128bit. To make sure you get a true
128bit card, you would need to buy the more expensive 5200 Ultra.
Old December 9th 03, 08:46 PM
Lenny

The ti500 will be plug and play, no need to reconfigure anything. You may
never get the 9600 to run properly.

FUD.

Old December 9th 03, 08:58 PM
Andrew

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 20:46:47 GMT, "Lenny" wrote:

The ti500 will be plug and play, no need to reconfigure anything. You may
never get the 9600 to run properly.

FUD.

Bull**** more like :-)
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Old December 9th 03, 09:00 PM
MarkH

What do you mean by plug and play? is the radeon a pain to set up?
Thanks For the reply
Mark H

Old December 9th 03, 09:00 PM
Andrew

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 21:00:06 -0000, "MarkH"
wrote:

What do you mean by plug and play? is the radeon a pain to set up?

No more or less than an NVidia card.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Old December 9th 03, 09:07 PM
MarkH

It is a 128 Bit card I have checked.
Standard 9600 (not pro) with 128 meg memory at 128 bit.
Thanks for the replys

Mark H

Old December 9th 03, 09:12 PM
DaveL

The 9600 (SE) is a 64 bit card. There are lots of them out there. My
comment about never getting it to run properly, I know is a bit extreme but
still the possibility is there (however remote). I was taking into account
cleaning out the old Nvidia drivers and ATI driver issues. I'm sorry but I
guess I'm biased that way. And yes, I agree with you about the 5200 mess.

Dave

Old December 9th 03, 09:22 PM
DaveL

What I meant by plug and play is that the ti500 can use the same driver that
your GF2 is currently using. All you would have to do is to take out the
old card, plug in the new card, boot up and your done. As another poster
pointed out the Radeon would require you to unistall all of the nvidia
drivers, swap cards and then install ATI cat drivers.

Dave