Monitor Shutdown At Random?

Old December 1st 03, 03:43 AM
RJ

Default Monitor Shutdown At Random?

Hi all,

I have the following system

Intel P4 3.06 Ghz HT Enabled
ASUS P4S8X-X (AGP 8X)
512MB PC2700
NVidia 4800 SE AGP 8X
420W PSU
CL Audigy 2
Thermaltake Xaser III Case ( 7 cooling fans! )
Win XP Home

All the latest drivers are installed (including SiS AGP and Mini IDE for
motherboard) but... I have the following problem.

Whilst playing games (UT2003 mostly), The monitor will randomly go into
standby mode (display goes black and monitor power light goes yellow). The
video display then refuses to come back on until the PC is reset and the
monitor turned off and on. It doesn't happen mid game, more usually when
begining a new level / map. I'm guesing it's an AGP or Nvidia issue, but I
can't pin it down.

Any ideas anyone?

One thing I did notice is that the Nvidia 4800SE should support AGP Fast
writes, and there is an option in my Bios for AGP Fast Writes enabled, but
SiSoft Sandra reports AGP Fast Writes are not enabled?

TIA

RJ

Old December 1st 03, 04:25 AM
kav946

I just had the same thing happen with a GeForce 2 Ti, I tried everything,
but if I started windows in a high res, 1024x768 screen setting it would go
into standby after a few minutes. I tried lower res modes, and it also did
the same thing, but it would run stable for hours then standby...

I replaced the card with a 5200 (money is tight) and it has not crashed
yet...same drivers even.

Hope that helps (I figure it was a video memory issue)
Kevin

--
For more photo's visit http://www.klvance.org
Lighthouse, covered bridge, roads, and travel photography.

Old December 1st 03, 05:14 AM
Darkfalz

Whilst playing games (UT2003 mostly), The monitor will randomly go into
standby mode (display goes black and monitor power light goes yellow). The
video display then refuses to come back on until the PC is reset and the
monitor turned off and on. It doesn't happen mid game, more usually when
begining a new level / map. I'm guesing it's an AGP or Nvidia issue, but I
can't pin it down.

It's not actually going into standby. What's happening is your video card is
"crashing" and your monitor loses signal, so thinks it's going into standby
mode.

You are overclocking too much or you have a broken card.

Old December 1st 03, 10:58 PM
RJ

"Darkfalz" wrote

Whilst playing games (UT2003 mostly), The monitor will randomly go into
standby mode (display goes black and monitor power light goes yellow).

The
video display then refuses to come back on until the PC is reset and the
monitor turned off and on. It doesn't happen mid game, more usually when
begining a new level / map. I'm guesing it's an AGP or Nvidia issue, but

can't pin it down.

It's not actually going into standby. What's happening is your video card

is
"crashing" and your monitor loses signal, so thinks it's going into

standby
mode.

You are overclocking too much or you have a broken card.

It's not overclocked so I doubt it's that. I've just installed the Nvidia
53.x drivers and will see if it makes a difference.
If not, I guess I'll splash out on a new card.

Any ideas when then next gen of Nvidia cards is due? I don't want to go out
and buy a 5950 Ultra if the next thing is just around the corner. That's
what happened last time when I bought the 4800 SE.

TIA

RJ
http://www.shopman.co.uk

Old December 1st 03, 11:00 PM
RJ

"kav946" wrote in message
I just had the same thing happen with a GeForce 2 Ti, I tried everything,
but if I started windows in a high res, 1024x768 screen setting it would

go
into standby after a few minutes. I tried lower res modes, and it also

did
the same thing, but it would run stable for hours then standby...

I replaced the card with a 5200 (money is tight) and it has not crashed
yet...same drivers even.

Thanks.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the new 53.x drivers I've installed.
If not, I'll dig my old GF4 Ti4200 out of one of my other machines before
plumping for a new card.

RJ
http://www.shopman.co.uk

Old December 2nd 03, 12:21 AM
Darkfalz

Any ideas when then next gen of Nvidia cards is due? I don't want to go
out
and buy a 5950 Ultra if the next thing is just around the corner. That's
what happened last time when I bought the 4800 SE.

When a new card comes out, the one you currently have doesn't become
useless.

Unless it's something made by Creative Labs, who are notorious for not
supporting their non-current lines of hardware.

Old December 2nd 03, 10:15 PM
RJ

"Darkfalz" wrote in

When a new card comes out, the one you currently have doesn't become
useless.

Agreed, but it suddenly becomes cheaper and the new one is the same price
you paid for the old one a month ago

RJ

Old December 3rd 03, 12:18 AM
Darkfalz

"RJ" wrote in message

"Darkfalz" wrote in

When a new card comes out, the one you currently have doesn't become
useless.

Agreed, but it suddenly becomes cheaper and the new one is the same price
you paid for the old one a month ago

But what is your point? May as well never buy anything then.