52.16 = corrupted dvd, 41.09 = clear dvd?

Old November 17th 03, 04:41 AM
Bronney Hui

Default 52.16 = corrupted dvd, 41.09 = clear dvd?

Masters,

This had been bugging me ever since the 42.xx. If I use anything above
41.09, the dvd playback always gets corrupted with funny color squares
(codec problem). But re-installing 41.09 always solves it. Since I watch
dvds quite a lot I am stuck with the 41.09 driver forever.

The software I use to watch dvd is PowerDVD that came with my Hercules
GeForce 3 Ti 200 64MB AGP. It's PowerDVD 3.0 and I never bothered to
upgrade cuz it was free.

Had anyone experienced this and does PowerDVD 5.0 solve the problem? Btw,
this happens even after a clean WinXPPro installation.

===

p3-866
asus cusl2-c i815ep
512 pc133 sdram
quantum fireball hdd x 2
sblive xgamer
2 nic's
hitachi gd-2500 region free dvdrom
silly 4x panasonic cd writer

===

Thanks.

-bron

Old November 17th 03, 10:32 AM
John Russell

"Bronney Hui" wrote in message
Masters,

This had been bugging me ever since the 42.xx. If I use anything above
41.09, the dvd playback always gets corrupted with funny color squares
(codec problem). But re-installing 41.09 always solves it. Since I watch
dvds quite a lot I am stuck with the 41.09 driver forever.

The software I use to watch dvd is PowerDVD that came with my Hercules
GeForce 3 Ti 200 64MB AGP. It's PowerDVD 3.0 and I never bothered to
upgrade cuz it was free.

Had anyone experienced this and does PowerDVD 5.0 solve the problem? Btw,
this happens even after a clean WinXPPro installation.

Some card manufactuers choose to put on a TV out chip without inbuilt
Macrovision passthrough protection for use with Software DVD players to
prevent people recording films off the PC. Nvidia where "obliged" to force
this via the newer drivers instead.
This does mean that you can only watch the DVD on the monitor, not the TV,
but also if it thinks a TV is connected you get it on the monitor as well.
Older drivers don't have this "copyright" fix.

Old November 17th 03, 05:54 PM
Lenny

Some card manufactuers choose to put on a TV out chip without inbuilt
Macrovision passthrough protection for use with Software DVD players

This does mean that you can only watch the DVD on the monitor, not the TV

Macrovision doesn't affect TVs, only VCRs. This is not the reason for the
problem.

Anyway, IF macrovision had been the problem, it would not have been stating
itself as miscolored squares in the image; macrovision interference looks
quite different (it is rooted firmly in the analog domain, not digital).

The original poster could try to enable/disable hardware acceleration in the
DVD player software and see if that changes anything. Some drivers have
created problems with hardware acceleration in the past.

Old November 17th 03, 06:06 PM
John Russell

"Lenny" wrote in message

Some card manufactuers choose to put on a TV out chip without inbuilt
Macrovision passthrough protection for use with Software DVD players

This does mean that you can only watch the DVD on the monitor, not the

TV

Macrovision doesn't affect TVs, only VCRs. This is not the reason for the
problem.

Anyway, IF macrovision had been the problem, it would not have been

stating
itself as miscolored squares in the image; macrovision interference looks
quite different (it is rooted firmly in the analog domain, not digital).

The original poster could try to enable/disable hardware acceleration in

the
DVD player software and see if that changes anything. Some drivers have
created problems with hardware acceleration in the past.

The problem is that macrovision dosn't get trigged with certainTV output
chips. I don't have such a chip on my card so I don't know what Nvidia have
had to do to screw up software dvdplayers when those chips are present.
Please tell us how the TV output chip can tell the difference between a VCR
and a TV? Nvidia have been forced to screw up the players whenever the
TVoutput chip is being used, but it seems they screw up the players just
becuase the faulty tvoutput chips are present wether anything is connected
or not.

Old November 17th 03, 06:30 PM
Lenny

Nvidia have been forced to screw up the players whenever the
TVoutput chip is being used

"Forced", how? Nvidia has no DVD-specific hardware acceleration in place on
their chips; the DVD encryption decoding is done entirely in software by the
player program, so no industry player(s) would have any handhold to force
Nvidia to do such a thing.

What's your evidence for this anyway? It sounds highly suspicious to me. I'd
say it's a bug.

Old November 17th 03, 09:33 PM
John Russell

"Lenny" wrote in message

Nvidia have been forced to screw up the players whenever the
TVoutput chip is being used

"Forced", how? Nvidia has no DVD-specific hardware acceleration in place

on
their chips; the DVD encryption decoding is done entirely in software by

the
player program, so no industry player(s) would have any handhold to force
Nvidia to do such a thing.

What's your evidence for this anyway? It sounds highly suspicious to me.

I'd
say it's a bug.

I have only been posting what has appeared on numerous forums sicne the
problem appeared. Just because a PC is being used to play DVD's dosn't mean
that copyright protection can be ignored. Media companies are very vocal at
protecting their copyright and making hardware companies abide by industry
agreements on copyright protection. Macrovison is just an agreed method of
implementing that protection. Some Nvidia based cards have been found to
circumvent macrovison protection when a minority of TV out chips are used.
Nvida had to find an alternative way of doing something similer as
macrovision when such tv chips are found on a card.

Old November 17th 03, 10:37 PM
Lenny

I have only been posting what has appeared on numerous forums sicne the
problem appeared.

So you don't know do you? You're just assuming?

Just because a PC is being used to play DVD's dosn't mean
that copyright protection can be ignored. Media companies are very vocal

at
protecting their copyright

Except, Nvidia isn't bound by anything to screw up their own products just
on the wish of these companies, and in fact, DVD playback is an advertised
feature of their cards. To intentionally break that would be bordering on
fraudulent. Imagine a car where the firmware update refuses to unlock the
trunk because you could use it to smuggle drugs.

and making hardware companies abide by industry
agreements on copyright protection.

They have no leverage to actually do this. Anyway, why worry about people
taping DVDs to a vastly inferior analog format when people just rip them
digitally extremely easily? Your logic doesn't work at all.

Nvida had to find an alternative way of doing something similer as
macrovision when such tv chips are found on a card.

What evidence do you have to back this up? Anything at all or just more
guesswork?

Old November 17th 03, 11:11 PM
John Russell

"Lenny" wrote in message

[...]

I suggest you find more places on the Net than just this NG and you might
learn something. No one on any NG is going to go round with a long list of
links to justify their comments. Grow up!

Old November 18th 03, 12:39 AM
Lenny

I suggest you find more places on the Net than just this NG and you might
learn something.

Dude, my point is it is your claim and I should not have to justify it for
you. Certainly you could do better to back up your own words than ask me in
a snooty tone to go 'learn something'. The reason I asked is because I
haven't seen anywhere on any reputable site (or otherwise I might add) about
Nvidia voluntarily ****ing up DVD playback on cards where macrovision can be
turned off just to satisfy the DVD consortium, so how I'm supposed to find
anything about it is definitely beyond me.

I was wondering wether this was a rumor bounced around amongst a bunch of
noobies as if it was truth, but apparantly that is indeed the case.

No one on any NG is going to go round with a long list of
links to justify their comments. Grow up!

*EEEEE!*
Wrong answer, thank you for playing!

Guess it's you who needs to grow up a bit. And dude, drop the attitude next
time, okay?

Old November 18th 03, 02:34 AM
Robert Pendell

"Lenny" wrote in message

[...]

Agreed. It would be quite useless to do something of that sort. There are
so many ways to do it without having to actually play from the dvd. You
could rip the dvd onto the drive and remove Macrovision during ripping then
play the resulting VOB files into any software dvd player. You could use
the TV out as an extended desktop (you can do this for nvidia cards right?)
and drag the dvd screen to the tv output. I'm sure they overlooked that
one. You could rip and encode to a high-quality avi (one of those usually
take up at least 1GB of space which is still far less than the 7GB+ of a
DVD) and play it in a media player using full screen. Any one of those
would result in what someone might do to output to a VCR or a TV.

--
Robert Pendell