aopen fx5200 slow

Old October 31st 03, 03:25 PM
Lee

Default aopen fx5200 slow

I recently bought the aeolus(128 meg) fx5200(128 bit) and it doesnt seem to
be much faster than my old riva tnt(just prettier). i dont have the fastest
system in the world (PIII 700, 256(133)dram). but i was, frankly, hoping for
a bit better performance than im getting. i dont have loads of cash to spend
on my PC as you can tell by the system. everything i play seems to be jerky
with loads of slowdown. even the older games. dungeon seige, castle
wolfenstien, soldier of fortune 2 are almost like watching a slide show in
places no matter how much i drop the settings down.
is it me, the PC being too slow or the video card? I now its not super fast
but i was expecting better performance than i got.

Old November 1st 03, 05:04 AM
Darkfalz

"Lee" wrote in message
I recently bought the aeolus(128 meg) fx5200(128 bit) and it doesnt seem

be much faster than my old riva tnt(just prettier). i dont have the

fastest
system in the world (PIII 700, 256(133)dram). but i was, frankly, hoping

for
a bit better performance than im getting. i dont have loads of cash to

spend
on my PC as you can tell by the system. everything i play seems to be

jerky
with loads of slowdown. even the older games. dungeon seige, castle
wolfenstien, soldier of fortune 2 are almost like watching a slide show in
places no matter how much i drop the settings down.
is it me, the PC being too slow or the video card? I now its not super

fast
but i was expecting better performance than i got.

Firstly, that's a very slow card (in some cases slower than GeForce 4 MX)
and secondly, your CPU is ****weak.

Old November 1st 03, 12:06 PM
Darthy

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:25:15 +0000 (UTC), "Lee"
wrote:

I recently bought the aeolus(128 meg) fx5200(128 bit) and it doesnt seem to
be much faster than my old riva tnt(just prettier). i dont have the fastest
system in the world (PIII 700, 256(133)dram). but i was, frankly, hoping for
a bit better performance than im getting. i dont have loads of cash to spend
on my PC as you can tell by the system. everything i play seems to be jerky
with loads of slowdown. even the older games. dungeon seige, castle
wolfenstien, soldier of fortune 2 are almost like watching a slide show in
places no matter how much i drop the settings down.
is it me, the PC being too slow or the video card? I now its not super fast
but i was expecting better performance than i got.

1 - While your CPU is SLOW (actually, correct word is OLD), you should
have NOTIABLE improvement in gaming performance over an OLD TNT card.
but you may have:

2 - Software issues. How much crap do you have in your system tray?
(bottom right corner - next to the clock) Some people have a dozen
items in there... most are not needed. I have a few, some could go if
I wanted to. What you SHOULD have; Clock, Volume, AntiVirus,
Firewall, Pop Up Stopper.... everything else is JUNK and not needed.
(I also have NetMedic to monitor my net usage and performance to
webservers / SET AT HOME and Palm Pilot Manager). Things like
QuickTime, Real Audio, Gater, AIM/MSN AIM, etc etc are just crap that
slows down your system. Go to there settings/prefs and shut this
crap off. Also check out your MSCONFIG/Startup (Click on RUN, type
in MSCONFIG) see whats trying to run STILL when you boot up... some
HP Multifuction devices load up about 5 drivers just as start up!!
ARGH! Go To www.downloads.com and get the program : SPYBOT Search &
Destory - its free and cleans out a lot of JUNKWARE/SPYWARE.

3 - MEMORY, 512mb total would help

4 - With that CPU, *YOU* better not be running WindowsXP! Go back to
Win98se.

5 - With software issues take care of, you should get some better
performance, but nothing great as even a GF3 card is being
handycapped by PIII CPUs. (I used to have a PIII-866 & GF3).

6 - fx5200 = slow card, no matter what. but upgrade it LAST after
everything else.

You can upgrade to a low-cost AMD system with modern case for about
$300~400. (AMD XP2500 / 512mb DDR 400mhz / ASUS motherboard / case)

You'll never GOOD gaming on that setup with AND DX9 games and most DX8
games (Unreal2 / UT2003)... With 2001 games and older - should run
great.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old November 3rd 03, 08:26 PM
smithxpj

wrote:

I recently bought the aeolus(128 meg) fx5200(128 bit) and it doesnt seem to
be much faster than my old riva tnt(just prettier). i dont have the fastest
system in the world (PIII 700, 256(133)dram). but i was, frankly, hoping for
a bit better performance than im getting. i dont have loads of cash to spend
on my PC as you can tell by the system. everything i play seems to be jerky
with loads of slowdown. even the older games. dungeon seige, castle
wolfenstien, soldier of fortune 2 are almost like watching a slide show in
places no matter how much i drop the settings down.
is it me, the PC being too slow or the video card? I now its not super fast
but i was expecting better performance than i got.

It's really a case of having the power of the CPU match the power of
the GPU on the video card otherwise one or the other becomes the
bottleneck. Either a slow CPU can't feed the data to the GPU fast
enough or the slow GPU can't accept the data from a fast CPU quickly
enough.

I recall a table of 'sweet spot' pair-ups between CPU and GPU back in
the days of Riva, TNT1 and TNT2 about the time of CPUs in the 200MHz
to 500 MHz range but haven't seen anything equivalent for today's CPUs
and GPUs.

Trial and error certainly is one option, but if you're not too flush
with cash to be able to pick and choose a new combination of kit than
it really gets down to some more Usenet enquiries. Hopefully there
should be a pool of info out there that others have stumbled across as
well.
Old November 4th 03, 08:57 AM
Darthy

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 07:26:45 +1100, smithxpj
wrote:

It's really a case of having the power of the CPU match the power of
the GPU on the video card otherwise one or the other becomes the
bottleneck. Either a slow CPU can't feed the data to the GPU fast
enough or the slow GPU can't accept the data from a fast CPU quickly
enough.

I recall a table of 'sweet spot' pair-ups between CPU and GPU back in
the days of Riva, TNT1 and TNT2 about the time of CPUs in the 200MHz
to 500 MHz range but haven't seen anything equivalent for today's CPUs
and GPUs.

Todays sweet spot (generally) is:

AMD1800/P4-2Ghz (with Northwoord core) or faster should play any GAME
well - with a good 3DCard and DDR RAM (system memory).

Faster is always better.... of course.

At 700Mhz, The 5200fx should be running tons better than the TNT card
- while still "limited" in what it can actually do.

Old November 14th 03, 02:04 AM
Yeeyoh

Hi sorry I saw this thread kinda late. I have the same card as you aopen
fx5200 128mb etc.. I play a lot of the games you mentioned wolfenstien,
dungeon siege etc. and lately especially, Enemy Territory. Anyway with a
faster cpu(I have a 2600+ xp) they are all quite playable. Actually I have
most game settings on high with 1024X768 or 800X600. I find the fx5200 is
the bottleneck on my system though...
If it's for game play you might have to upgrade the cpu for now. ...
I'm waiting till the fx5600 and 9600pro go down in price, before I upgrade
videocards.
You could try overclocking the video card just a little, maybe like 10%.
and maybe try setting all the nvidia driver settings to performance instead
of quality, see if that speeds things up.
Good luck.

Old November 14th 03, 08:22 AM
Darthy

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 02:04:38 GMT, "Yeeyoh" wrote:

Hi sorry I saw this thread kinda late. I have the same card as you aopen
fx5200 128mb etc.. I play a lot of the games you mentioned wolfenstien,
dungeon siege etc. and lately especially, Enemy Territory. Anyway with a
faster cpu(I have a 2600+ xp) they are all quite playable. Actually I have
most game settings on high with 1024X768 or 800X600. I find the fx5200 is
the bottleneck on my system though...
If it's for game play you might have to upgrade the cpu for now. ...
I'm waiting till the fx5600 and 9600pro go down in price, before I upgrade
videocards.
You could try overclocking the video card just a little, maybe like 10%.
and maybe try setting all the nvidia driver settings to performance instead
of quality, see if that speeds things up.
Good luck.

You responded to the wrong person.

At CompUSA - 9600-XT (A bit faster than the PRO) with Half Life2 -
$200, so its like $150 for the card (kinda).... killer deal in my
book...

.. .

Old November 14th 03, 09:53 PM
Yeeyoh

sorry jusrt replying to the thread..

US prices have no meaning to me...
Half-life2 -doom3 they almost rhyme...

"Darthy" wrote in message
[...]

.. .

Old November 18th 03, 08:52 AM
Darthy

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:53:16 GMT, "Yeeyoh" wrote:

sorry jusrt replying to the thread..

US prices have no meaning to me...
Half-life2 -doom3 they almost rhyme...

I do the best I can... with pricing...