In 3D Modus Win98 hangs with Geforce 2 MX

Old October 21st 03, 10:55 PM
Hauke

Default In 3D Modus Win98 hangs with Geforce 2 MX

Hello

I have got a problem with the PC of a fiend of my Brother in which I
have just installed a new video card it is the Geforce 2 MX 400. In that
PC was before I installed that new card an ATI Rage 2. In the PC is an
AMD K6 450 MHz on an Asus Board (but I do not know what board exactly).
And Windows 98 is running on it.
After I put in the new video card I installed Direct X 9.0b and did a
restart then I installed the newest NVIDIA driver and did a restart
again and installed the card. Then I wanted to test if it is running so
I started a 3D Game but the PC hangs and I had to restart the PC. After
that I recognized that there was the old ATI driver installed, too and
so I deinstalled the ATI driver and restart the PC again, but 3D is not
running. Then I reinstalled Direct X and the Nvidia driver and test 3D
in the Direct X tool but alter 0.5 Second the PC hangs but I had seen
the cube with the Direct X symbol on it.

Does someone know what I can do?
I would be very happy if someone can help me.

Hauke
hauke-m.de.tf

Old October 22nd 03, 09:49 PM
phobos

Hauke wrote:

[...]

Since it's an old K6 board, it could be the AGP signal strength isn't
high enough. You could try changing it in your BIOS (AgP Driving
Value), but usually that's overridden by the card nowadays.

After you clear up any leftover drivers, I recommend stripping the
machine down to only the video card (and applicable network card). Put
any NIC in the farthest slot down and reinstall the drivers.

Sometimes PCI sharing conflicts with each other and the PCI latency for
one slot may be too high (i.e. hogging the bus). Also the MX may be
drawing more voltage (even though it's AGP 1.0 spec) than the board was
made to handle, causing lockups.