Pumping more power to video ram? higher ram speeds?

Old September 9th 03, 03:56 AM
akuma

Default Pumping more power to video ram? higher ram speeds?

Anyone know how to pump more volts to video ram to acheive higher ram
speeds?

Old September 9th 03, 09:24 AM
Lenny

Anyone know how to pump more volts to video ram to acheive higher ram
speeds?

It's not worth the bother. Any performance increase you'll gain will be in
the single digit figures, probably low single digit. Basically all you'll do
is risk ruining your hardware by soldering on it and make it run hotter,
thus less reliably and wearing out faster.

Old September 10th 03, 07:16 PM
Tim Draper

it's in the bios. although, you might not have agp voltage as an option.

for me, raising agp volts did nothing for O/Cing. but then i am running a
budget ti4200 - get what you pay for.

tim

Old September 10th 03, 08:54 PM
Lenny

it's in the bios. although, you might not have agp voltage as an option.

AGP voltage only bumps voltage on the *signalling lines* between your
chipset and GPU. This means bump it too much and your graphics card will
fry. It doesn't affect the supply voltage to either the GPU itself or
on-board GPU memory, to accomplish this you have to physically modify the
voltage regulators on the graphics card itself with some resistors and
soldering.

for me, raising agp volts did nothing for O/Cing.

Naturally not, since it would have nothing to do with memory performance...

If you overclocked your motherboard it might help a bit, but it might just
as well introduce as much or even more instability as it fixes.

Old September 10th 03, 09:55 PM
PRIVATE1964

card itself with some resistors and
soldering.

Most people think that's the supply voltage for the GPU and the memory, but
it's really not. If the graphic cards did not have their own power supply
circuits they would be a lot smaller then they are.

You need to find a voltage mod that is for your graphic card. The power
circuits for all graphic cards are different.

I did a volt mod on a Geforce 4, 4200 and ruined it. Not because of the mod but
because I didn't play it safe enough. I did see quite a bit of benefit in the
mod before the card was ruined. If you do any voltage mods, always have a
series resistor in the circuit so you can never set the voltage too low by
accident, which is where I went wrong.

I did another mod on an Albatron 4680, 4200 and still have the mod wires
attached. I didn't see any overclock benefit even as I watched the voltage
going up with a multi meter on the ram. The circuit for this card is slightly
different then a regular 4200 so maybe thats why.