MBM5 CPU Diode temperature

Old February 24th 05, 03:00 PM
jamie anderson

Default MBM5 CPU Diode temperature

Hi people,

I've just changed heatsinks on my XP2500+@3200+ & MBM5 is giving me unusual
temps. The CPU Socket temp is about the same (which is a little
disappointing in itself) but the CPU Diode sensor is reporting temps about
10deg C higher than it did previously. It used to report a bit below the
Socket censor, now it's 7-ish degrees above. Everything seems stable
still...

Is it something i need to worry about?

Mobo is an Asus A7N8X-Del 2.0

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Old February 24th 05, 05:37 PM
Paul

In article , "jamie anderson"
wrote:

Hi people,

I've just changed heatsinks on my XP2500+@3200+ & MBM5 is giving me unusual
temps. The CPU Socket temp is about the same (which is a little
disappointing in itself) but the CPU Diode sensor is reporting temps about
10deg C higher than it did previously. It used to report a bit below the
Socket censor, now it's 7-ish degrees above. Everything seems stable
still...

Is it something i need to worry about?

Mobo is an Asus A7N8X-Del 2.0

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

On some heatsinks, the "contact patch" only lines up with the CPU
die one way. If the heatsink is rotated 180 degrees, it only
touches part of the die.

So, remove the heatsink and make sure the contact patch is centered
on the die. Also, when using paste, you want a thin coating, just
enough to fill voids (air gaps). One technique to test, is to put
a dot of paste the size of the head of a pin, lower the heatsink
into it, and see how much it spreads. You can use that to gauge
how big a dot of paste is needed. Too much paste would tend to
insulate a bit.

The heatsink should have been primed with paste before installing
it. Applying paste to the heatsink, fills the voids with
compound. The paste should be rubbed in with a sheet of plastic,
as you don't want your finger prints and oils to fill the
gaps in the sink. If you don't prime the heatsink, the air gaps
in the heatsink might not get completely filled. Once the
heatsink is primed, you wipe off the paste, as you only want
the actual paste application on the die. You don't use solvent
while wiping the heatsink - you are removing all the paste on
the surface, but leaving just the residue filling any
imperfections in the surface of the heatsink. (There are some
heatsinks, like swiftnet.com heatsinks, that have a mirror
finish. Don't expect much paste to adhere to one of those.
The heatsinks that would benefit most, would be crudely finished.)

Pastes with particulate in them (AS3,AS5,Ceramique) have
"settling times". The final temp isn't reached for a couple
of days after application.

My suspicion is your processor is not fully seated in the socket.
I remember my first modded board, the processor socket had a
metal arm on it, and the arm actually made contact with the
heatsink I was using. It took 30 minutes of work with a
metal file, to make enough clearance for it to fit. Ever
since then, I've installed heatsinks outside the case, so
I can visually inspect the fit of the heatsink. I can look on
all sides of the processor, and verify there is the same
clearance between sink and motherboard, on all sides. This
technique (installation outside) only works if your computer
case has clearance to fit the whole assembly into place.
Some computer cases have a brace in the center of the opening,
that only allows the heatsink to be installed after the
motherboard is in place. A screw mounted heatsink is good
for those, as they are easier to install than one with clips.
But you really cannot tell whether they are seated properly
or not, until you turn them on.

HTH,
Paul
Old February 25th 05, 03:28 AM
Beemer Biker

"jamie anderson" wrote in message
Hi people,

I've just changed heatsinks on my XP2500+@3200+ & MBM5 is giving me

unusual
temps. The CPU Socket temp is about the same (which is a little
disappointing in itself) but the CPU Diode sensor is reporting temps about
10deg C higher than it did previously. It used to report a bit below the
Socket censor, now it's 7-ish degrees above. Everything seems stable
still...

Is it something i need to worry about?

Mobo is an Asus A7N8X-Del 2.0

I used MBM for years on several systems but it is no longer supported. You
might consider using the latest Asus Probe as it is designed for their
motherboards. http://tinyurl.com/4yt5s

Old February 25th 05, 06:44 PM
MAd MAx

Asus Probe is (was ?) crap. It doesn't measure the CPU die (unless a new
version, that I don't know, allows it) which is the first one to monitor in
order not to destroy the processor.
If you don't want to use MBM anylonger look at something else. If your MoBo
is supported by the last version, my opinion is that it's better to stick on
MBM !

Die temp. is, of course, higher than socket's one since the heat source is
within the CPU. The socket is somewhere between the CPU die temp and the
case temp (usually 7 to 10 degrees below the CPU die). The new CPU temp you
have, 7°C above socket sensor, looks correct. Previously it wasn't.
For example, my computer displays 48°C for the CPU & 37 °C for the socket.
The difference between CPU & socket may vary in function of the internal
cooling of the case. The cooler the CPU, the better.

Make sure when configuring MBM5, you chose the correct diode. Big difference
!

Make sure as well the chipset is correctly cooled. It may rise well above
the CPU and when unproperly cooled, its die may reach dangerous values such
as 90 °C. Unfortunately the only way is to monitor its heatsink with an
external unit.

BTW what kind of beemer do you have ?
I still have my old R50-2 :-))
I should restore it someday.

Old February 28th 05, 05:02 PM
Beemer Biker

"MAd MAx" wrote in message
Asus Probe is (was ?) crap. It doesn't measure the CPU die (unless a new
version, that I don't know, allows it) which is the first one to monitor

in
order not to destroy the processor.
If you don't want to use MBM anylonger look at something else. If your

MoBo
is supported by the last version, my opinion is that it's better to stick

on
MBM !

MBM was an excellent product, but the manufacturers failed to support it.
AIDA32 was another excellent product that died because of lack of support.
AFAIK none of these programs can monitor the the die temp unless there is
some type of bios support for it. I had CUV4X-D and A7M266-D but MBM does
not support the newer and cheap mombos that recognize the semperon. If you
are overclocking I see where you need the die or you might just die becore
the socket gets warm.

[...]

You can see my R1100RT here http://tinyurl.com/5c7uk and my son and I just
got back from an 800mile ride which I am fixin to make a report on today.
If your R50-2 is like this one http://www.reeky.org/gallery/entropymagnet
then I wish you luck!