Buying a new system. I have 4 video card choices. Need advice.

Old August 2nd 03, 04:17 AM
Minotaur

Default Buying a new system. I have 4 video card choices. Need advice.

wrote in message

I haven't kept up with the latest news so can you help me choose.
I'm a game player but do dabble in photoshop as well.

ATI radeon 9600 Pro
Asus V9280 TI4200
Radeon 9000 LE
Geforce MX440

All are 128 mg cards. the GeForce is the cheapest.

Funny joke, not.... Obviously the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro, by a few clear miles!

or why not a 9700 NP overclocked to Pro speeds, another option...

Old August 2nd 03, 06:46 AM
Simon-Pierre

Im personally getting the sapphire radeon 9600 pro card, and i think its the
best way to go. You dont want to touch the geforce mx, or radeon 9000 for
game wise, the ti 4200 maybe a little close to the 9600 pros performance but
its old technology, and isnt direct x 9 compatible. Plus the 9600 pro is
amazingly overclockable, so i suggest the Sapphire Radeon 9600 pro. it has a
good software bundle, cheaper than the ati built card, and also simply looks
alot better than the plain green pcb from ati.
wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 13:17:50 +1000, "Minotaur" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

I haven't kept up with the latest news so can you help me choose.
I'm a game player but do dabble in photoshop as well.

ATI radeon 9600 Pro
Asus V9280 TI4200
Radeon 9000 LE
Geforce MX440

All are 128 mg cards. the GeForce is the cheapest.

Funny joke, not.... Obviously the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro, by a few clear

miles!

or why not a 9700 NP overclocked to Pro speeds, another option...

I'm not made of money. The 9600 is $200CDN more than the others.
What do I gain with that card?

Old August 2nd 03, 06:53 AM
Simon-Pierre

just to correct myself, when i said the ti 4200 is a little close to the
9600 pro's performance its not really its simply the second in line
performance wise, but it still lags behind the 9600by quite a bit and is old
technology.

wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 13:17:50 +1000, "Minotaur"

wrote:

.. .

Old August 2nd 03, 08:08 AM
J.Clarke

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 01:46:55 -0400
"Simon-Pierre" wrote:

Im personally getting the sapphire radeon 9600 pro card, and i think
its the best way to go. You dont want to touch the geforce mx, or
radeon 9000 for game wise, the ti 4200 maybe a little close to the
9600 pros performance but its old technology, and isnt direct x 9
compatible.

What leads you to believe that the ti 4200 is not DirectX 9
_compatible_? It doesn't accelerate the new functions of DirectX 9, but
that does not make it incompatible, it merely means that the software
versions of those functions will be used instead, which results in a
performance hit if they are turned on in the application that you are
running.

plain green pcb from wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 13:17:50 +1000, "Minotaur"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

I haven't kept up with the latest news so can you help me choose.
I'm a game player but do dabble in photoshop as well.

ATI radeon 9600 Pro
Asus V9280 TI4200
Radeon 9000 LE
Geforce MX440

All are 128 mg cards. the GeForce is the cheapest.

Funny joke, not.... Obviously the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro, by a few
clear

miles!

or why not a 9700 NP overclocked to Pro speeds, another option...

I'm not made of money. The 9600 is $200CDN more than the others.
What do I gain with that card?

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old August 2nd 03, 06:39 PM
Pluvious

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 08:59:41 -0700, wrote:

Thanks guys.
I've decided to bite the bullet and get the 9600.

Good move.. worth it in the long run.

Pluvious

Old August 2nd 03, 11:00 PM
Simon-Pierre

great choice, like pluvious said itll be good in the long run, the card wont
be absolete in 2 months, got to love its overclock too.

Old August 6th 03, 06:33 AM
R&B

I have a ?. Would i be better off getting that 9600 Pro and a tv tuner card
or just bite the bullet and get the 9800 AIW?
I`m going to use both WinXP and Linux (Lindows 4.0 really) Anything would
be better then this very old Rage pro card I`m now using.

Old August 6th 03, 08:52 AM
J.Clarke

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 05:33:38 GMT
"R&B" wrote:

I have a ?. Would i be better off getting that 9600 Pro and a tv
tuner card or just bite the bullet and get the 9800 AIW?
I`m going to use both WinXP and Linux (Lindows 4.0 really) Anything
would be better then this very old Rage pro card I`m now using.

For Linux the answer is "neither". The Linux drivers for the 9600/9800
aren't out yet, and the drivers for the older boards don't work with
them, so you've basically got an expensive SVGA board until the drivers
are ready. You'd do better to go with a 9700, whether AIW or
otherwise--the drivers for them_are_ available.

Personally for Linux I'd go with a separate tuner--the Hauppauge PVR-250
and 350 are nice if you don't need uncompressed capture--they have
hardware compression but only allow access to the compressed stream.
Otherwise, anything based on a Brooktree/Conexant 848,849,878, or 879
ADC will probably work--do check the particular product you're
considering against the compatibility list at http://bytesex.org/bttv/
before you buy--the brooktrees are easier to set up with
Linux IMO than the AIW.