Bios Flash worked, but cannot boot Windows XP from SATA

Old February 23rd 05, 12:20 AM
NoeSCaPe

Default Bios Flash worked, but cannot boot Windows XP from SATA

Please guys help me on this one, i know i'm new but am close to giving
in!

I have got a GA-7N400 PRO2 (rev1) motherboard of which i've just done
the F11 bios update. The update went perfectly, but when i went to
restart the machine the bios resets all the boot up sequence.

No probs, i went into the setup and changed to SCSI for my SATA drive
which contains the OS, only problem is doesn't matter what i try, the
boot up just won't find it.

It shows the cmos screen first with the IDE drives on (i only have a
CD Rom!), followed by the RAID screen which doesn't show anything
really, same as before the update. Followed by the next screen which
shows the hardware. At this point it doesn't find the OS on the SATA
drive and instead says 'BOOT FROM CD' despite not selecting it in the
boot up sequence.

My opinion on this is that the update has removed its knowledge of an
already setup SATA drive and is expecting me to maybe install a fresh
copy of XP? Only problem with this is that i have some very important
emails on my computer which i can't afford to loose (literally) and
to be honest, don't see why i should have to reformat?!?!

I really need some assistance guys, i've created a boot CD and tried
going back to a previous rev etc but it makes no difference.

PLEASE HELP ME, I NEED IT!

Many thanks in advance...

Old February 23rd 05, 12:49 AM
40 PC SOCKET SET

"NoeSCaPe" wrote in message
[...]

Clear the CMOS. Then re-enter your preferences.

Old February 23rd 05, 02:14 AM
Ian

"40 PC SOCKET SET" wrote in message

"NoeSCaPe" wrote in message
[...]

And if that does not work, isn't your board dual bios? Could you flash back
to the old version?

I don't think this is as bad a problem as it sounds though.

Old February 23rd 05, 09:32 PM
Peter Seymour

I notice that when you set SCSI in the boot order in the bios, the next line
becomes enabled with options of SATA, RAID and SCSI. Have you tried setting
this to RAID (if you have a raid setup)?

Might also be worthwhile hitting F4 during the raid screen, this will show
you if the raid setup is still ok. Be careful about recreating the raid
array as this will often destroy data.

If all else fails you could consider putting in a cheap sata drive and
installing windows to that - you might then be able to gat at the data on
your array, even if you cant boot from it.

good luck