Is there a hyper-threading fix for Windows 2000 Pro?

Old October 5th 04, 04:48 PM
Johnny Asia

Default Is there a hyper-threading fix for Windows 2000 Pro?

I think I found the reason for various weird glitches Ive had since
builiding this computer, I just found out Windows 2000 Professional
doesn't support Hyper-Threading. I had it enabled on my Asus p4p800-e
deluxe with P4 2.8E

Is there a hyper-threading fix for Windows 2000 Pro?
Hyper-Threading works in Windows 2000 Server.

my system:

Windows 2000 Professional w/ service pack 4
ASUS P4P800-E DELUXE mainboard
P4 2.8EGHz
1GB Geil Dual Channel PC3200
Thermaltake 420 watt psu
WD 80 GB IDE hard drive
ATI 7200 LE 32MB video card

+
+

"The power of accurate observation is called cynicism
by those who have not got it." - G. B. Shaw

Want to know what's REALLY going on in Iraq?
http://www.angelfire.com/co/COMMONSENSE/wakeup.html

Old October 5th 04, 08:28 PM
John

In article , pope_about_town at
Xyahoo.com (Johnny Asia) says...
[...]

Yes, it's called Windoes XP.
Old October 6th 04, 02:07 AM
Johnny Asia

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 20:19:30 GMT, Leythos wrote:

Actually W2000 works fine with HT, and it's completely stable.

Did you install from scratch?

Yes, but I'm going to reinstall. Got any tips? I'd be glad to
get some advice. I've been building AMD systems, this
is my first P4 system. I switched because I read the Intel
chips were better for audio, and the new P4's.

I read conflicting reports about enabling/disabling HT,
and ACPI. I'm going to add 24 bit pro audio card
and another hard drive for recording.

I have an Apollo Geforce 4 64MB video card I can use,
but I don't game or watch DVD's, the old Radeon LE
works fine. I have read about conflicts with ATI cards

my system:

Windows 2000 Professional w/ service pack 4
ASUS P4P800-E DELUXE mainboard
P4 2.8EGHz
1GB Geil Dual Channel PC3200
Thermaltake 420 watt psu
WD 80 GB IDE hard drive
ATI 7200 LE 32MB video card
Liteon 52X CD-ROM
Liteon 52X CD-RW
+

Johnny Asia, Guitarist from the Future
http://johnnyasia.info

"When a man describes himself as a "guitarist from
the future" the warning bells go off,
.... But Johnny Asia really sounds like he's doing
something new. .....Check the mans' music out
and hear something different."
- Nick Dedina, Staff Writer, Listen.com

Old October 6th 04, 02:58 AM
Johnny Asia

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 20:19:30 GMT, Leythos wrote:

In article ,
says...
Yes, it's called Windoes XP.

Actually W2000 works fine with HT, and it's completely stable.

MS says the W2000 Server will work, kind of:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...rthreading.doc

Windows 2000 Server Family and Hyper-Threading Technology
Windows 2000 Server does not distinguish between physical and logical
processors on systems enabled with Hyper-Threading Technology; Windows
2000 simply fills out the license limit using the first processors
counted by the BIOS. For example, when you launch Windows 2000 Server
(4-CPU limit) on a four-way system enabled with Hyper-Threading
Technology, Windows will use the first logical processor on each of
the four physical processors, as shown in Figure 2; the second logical
processor on each physical processor will be unused, because of the
4-CPU license limit. (This assumes the BIOS was written according to
Intel specifications. Windows uses the processor count and sequence
indicated by the BIOS.)

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18428

Windows 2000 and the hyperthreading nightmare

Having worked at Intel (until just recently) on the Pentium 4, I can
tell you exactly why they recommend disabling HT on older MS OSes.

Windows XP is the first OS (from Billy the Hut) that actually
understands HT. Win2K "should" work, seeing the processor as two CPUs,
but not very efficiently. Win 95/98/ME won't as they are single
processor only, same as the Linux kernel compiled for a UP system - it
just can't see beyond processor 0. Even earlier Linux kernels won't
work properly with HT.

Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 were both released before
hyperthreading was implemented on Intel CPUs. They will identify
“multiple processors” with hyperthreading but they don’t properly
support it. In Windows NT/2000 a hyperthreaded P4 will be recognized
as two processors. In Windows XP a hyperthreaded P4 will be recognized
as a single processor containing two logical processors. So say you
have a Dual Xeon hyperthreaded system. This would be four logical
processors.

Windows 2000 Professional is limited to two processors and doesn’t
recognize the difference between a dual processor hyperthreaded system
and a quad processor non-hyperthreaded system. The 2nd logical
processor on each physical processor would never be used.

Windows XP Professional, on the other hand, would recognise the
difference between the two and would use all four logical processors.
So to answer one of your questions, there actually is more to Windows
XP than "just a fancy eye candy version of Windows 2000".

+

Old October 6th 04, 02:16 PM
Patrick Cloutier

XP managed HT really better than win2000. I'll try to find an article about
that. In some cases, XP runs 25% faster than WIN2000. I love Win2000,
actually I'm using it, but I bought a new computer with a 550 HT 3.4Ghz and
I'm going to install XP only for performance with HT

As I know, there is no Patch to correct that on Win2000... Let me a couple
of days to come back

Patrick

Old October 6th 04, 02:58 PM
Johnny Asia

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 13:33:47 GMT, Leythos wrote:

There is nothing wrong with HT in 2000, there are plenty of problems
with ACPI.

I'll reinstall 2000 with ACPI disabled in the BIOS. Is that all I
have to do? Or do I have to press F5 too? If so, when?

Thanks
+

Old October 6th 04, 03:19 PM
Johnny Asia

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 13:58:31 GMT, Leythos wrote:

What does F5 have to do with it?

http://dmzweb3.europe.creative.com/w...neral/acpi.htm

install Windows 2000 with ACPI disabled in your CMOS (motherboard
BIOS) before installation or press F5 during installation to specify
your computer's configuration to obtain the same effect.
+

Old October 6th 04, 03:31 PM
Johnny Asia

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:24:12 GMT, Leythos wrote:

Interesting, in all these years I never knew about F5 to disable ACPI
during install.

--

I don't know when to press it, or for how long.

+

Old October 6th 04, 04:06 PM
m.marien

pope_about_town at Xyahoo.com (Johnny Asia) wrote in message
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:24:12 GMT, Leythos wrote:

Interesting, in all these years I never knew about F5 to disable ACPI
during install.

--

I don't know when to press it, or for how long.

Just after the setup boots. There is a pause to let you know to press F6 for
extra drivers. You can also press F5 and it will stop and ask if you what
type of computer ACPI, MPS, etc.

+

Old October 12th 04, 03:46 PM
Patrick Cloutier

"Single CPU systems without HT can't handle more than one thread (something
that requires processing power) at a time, so they have to so one thing and
then the other. Dual CPU systems can't work on the same thread at the same
time so the workload is divided, and if there is only one one task to be
done than usually, the gain from having 2 CPUs is very small (that's why
they're not recommended for home users).

HT is sort of a cheap compromise, it can handle 2 threads at the same time
(something a regular CPU can't) but doesn't process both threads at the same
speed as it would have done if they were one at time (a thing a dual CPU
system would have been capable of). HT CPUs gain a performance boost when
handling 2 tasks but not a performance penalty when handling one (like a
dual CPU system would have been crippled to use only one CPU when processing
one thread).

You might think "But my CPU just has one thing to do at a time like playing
a game or ripping music" but actually many other programs in the background
need to use some CPU cycles while they're open (instant messaging software,
anti-virus, pop-up blocker, file sharing software (especially file sharing
software's), and other processes and services you might not even be aware
of) so HT helps more than you'd think.

What I like about HT is that it has virtually no shortcomings (some would
say it hurts performance when single-tasking but that's probably less than
half a percent). You should note though that the only Windows base OS's that
HT works on are WinXP, Server 2003 and Win2K (though not optimized for it).
If you have WinME and older, you'd have to turn HT off.
"

. ..