Problem: A7N8X-VM/400 w/ AGP-NV-DVI & TV-out feature

Old May 19th 04, 08:53 PM
Spiro M. Telegadis

Default Problem: A7N8X-VM/400 w/ AGP-NV-DVI & TV-out feature

This is a request to the rest of the Asus A7N8X-VM owners that have
bought the companion AGP-NV-DVI card. I'm not able to get TV out
working, either through Composite or S-Video, in Windows 2000 or
Linux, and I was curious if anyone else has or is having the same
problem.

System Specification is as follows:
Asus A7N8X-VM/400 (BIOS AMI Version 08.00.09 Build Date 11/25/03 ID
A000700)
AMD Athlon XP "Barton" 2500 CPU
Asus AGP-NV-DVI Add-on Card /w S-video and Composite Out
1 Chip of 512MB PNY Memory (Samsung IC's)
1 Maxtor 120Gig DiamondMax Plus 9 ATA/133 Hard Drive (WIN32)
Alternate Maxtor 120Gig DiamondMax Plus 9 ATA/133 Hard Drive (LINUX)
1 Kworld TV878RF-Pro TV Tuner Card (BT878)
Memorex MX5050 105key Windows KeyBoard
Microsoft Optical USB 2Button Scroll Mouse
Geasung 250Watt MicroATX Power Supply
Ahanix Extreme MicroATX Case
Samsung CDRW/DVD Model SM-332B CD40/DVD12/W32/WR10
Samsung SyncMaster 172w Monitor 1 via DVI
NEC MultiSync E750 Monitor 2 via VGA (Hsync 31.0-92.0; Vsync
55.0-160.0)
Sharp 27N-S50 Television (w/ 2 Composite Video Connections)
GrandTec ULTIMATE XP PRO (PC to Video Component)
Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 (No Conflicts with Hardware)
Alternate Drive of same spec Running Gentoo2004.1 "CK-Sources" Kernel
2.6

BTW: Asus customer service has to be the worst I've ever delt with.
They are always "Busy Helping other customers" which is usually
followed by "A technician will call you back as soon as possible."
I've been dealing with this problem since Mar 17, 2004 and no one has
yet to call me back.

Anyways here's the log for a giggle. Need less to say I'm waiting to
hear back from the Supervisor. At least now I'll be ignored by upper
managment.

[3/17/2004 12:22:00 PM - nick23]
We will need MORE INFORMATION to process your request. Please call our
phone support center at 502-995-0883 with your EXACT system
configuration and a more detailed description of the problem that you
are having.

Thank you!

[3/18/2004 8:08:00 PM - ]
All Devices Are function properly with the exception of the DVI
Daugther Card's S-Video and Composite out Feature. This is the main
reason I purchased this motherboard and daughter card.

I have tried downloading and reinstalling the drivers for the systems
components, running the system with each monitor indivually and
combined, and unplugging the TV Tuner Card. The setting under the bios
specify NTSC for the TV out format Nothing has had an effect on the
video output of the AGP-NV-DVI card.

All I receive from the Television for a fraction of second is a
flicker of the computer screen in B&W when I select the Television
output from the nVidia GeForece4 MX Intergrated GPU Properties Tab
"Device Selection" Menu

The Television is working with the system via the GrandTec Unit, and
via my VCR.

[3/19/2004 7:32:00 AM -
]
Called Back to speak to tech and left my phone # (954) 839-8708 with
rep GLEN @10:30AM EST 3/19/2004

[3/22/2004 6:46:00 AM - Robbie19]
Customer using agp-nv-dvi agp card, that is supposed to work with this
motherboard. Whenever selecting to output to the tv, he gets a quick
flicker and then the video goes out again. He has attempted to connect
to another tv. Same problems. Also tried loading linux, to see if
still had problems. No difference. Beginning to sound like a possible
bad card. Suggested trying a different power supply, run the
motherboard outside of the case. If you still have problems then
please contact Customer Service at 510-739-3777 option 3. Thank you!

psu 250w (+12v=9a,+5v=15a,+3.3v=10a)

[3/22/2004 7:47:00 AM - steve23]
Tried system out of case with Antec 400W psu, heard a "pop" sound and
smelled smoke; nothing works, system won't power up, with or without
the card; smell seems to be coming from around the AGP slot

Customer needs RMA

[4/19/2004 7:45:00 PM -
]
Okay, got the system board (A7N8X-VM/400) and daughter card
(AGP-NV-DVI) back from the RMA department. I hook up all the parts and
pieces to the power supply and the SAME PROBLEM. Exactly the same as
the last time. I did notice one new thing. When I went to check the
connection of the Composite Video Cable a small spark jumped from the
AGP Cards resistor, Marked R20??, to the AGP Connector on the system
board, causing the system to reset and including the CMOS. That
doesn't look good at all. Funny thing is that was happening before I
just didn't notice it, and I think thats what caused the last failure.
Bottom line the Card and System still don't do what I need them to do.
Help with this feature would be greatly appreciated since it is why I
purchased this system and daughter card.

[4/20/2004 6:07:00 PM -
]
Called tech support and left message that same problem is occuring.
Waiting for call back.

[4/21/2004 6:25:00 AM - steve23]
The sparks probably indicate a static electricity problem--not really
a good thing. This is two power-type issues you have had since
changing the power supply--perhaps there is something wrong with the
Antec you picked up? The parts you received from RMA either a) worked
properly in their lab after repair, or b) were sent as working
replacements for the parts you sent to them. Either way, they should
function correctly. Since you had a problem initially when using the
Antec, and now are having what looks like static problems, perhaps
that particular power supply has issues of its own.

Regarding the TV out problem: Make sure the television is turned on
and connected to the card before turning on the computer. You may also
want to try a different video cable to see if that helps.

If a different power supply doesn't help the condition of the boards,
unfortunately the only option left is to contact RMA once again.
Please give these suggestions a try, and let us know if you need
anything else.

[5/14/2004 1:38:00 PM - lesliegat]
same problem since march the tv out feature isn't working w/ the card
in the pc. doesn't really want to go through a another RMA call back
after

[5/14/2004 1:44:00 PM -
]
Called RMA Dept after receiving replacement board. According to
"Ratan", the RMA rep I spoke with, the board is functionaly with
respect all features including TV out.

Next, I called Tech support and left a message with Less who informed
me that I should receive a return phone call no later than end of day
Monday 12PM. Which means if I do not hear back from tech support
before then it will result in me contacting tech support again on
tuesday the 18th of may.

I will not connect or test any of the products previously described
util I speak with a technical support agent.

[5/18/2004 5:41:00 PM -
]
Calling back because ONCE again no one has return my call.

[5/18/2004 5:49:00 PM -
]
left a message with supervision (Lee) voice mail. I am awaiting a
return phone call.

[5/19/2004 10:16:00 AM -
]
No return Call calling back AGAIN. Waiting to speak to a supervisor.
Old May 20th 04, 05:15 AM
Paul

In article ,
(Spiro M. Telegadis) wrote:

[...]

I'm a little confused. Part way through your log, there is mention
of a resistor from an "AGP card" touching the "AGP socket".

Are you using an AGP video card with the A7N8X-VM/400 ?
If you are, the onboard video would be disabled while the AGP
card is installed, and the onboard TV output won't work either!

As far as the adapter itself is concerned, it has five pins, but
the Asus manual, in its usual style, doesn't label the pins.

To answer questions like this, I download an MSI manual, for
a motherboard which is as similar to the Asus board as possible.
In this case, it is the K7N2GM, and on page 38, there is mention
of a similar connector (JTV1) to the Asus:

http://us-download.msi.com.tw/suppor.../E6777v1.1.exe

The pin configuration isn't exactly the same, but the connector has
five signals on it:

1 GND 4 CVBS
2 Yout 5 GND
3 Cout

I think pins 1-2-3 give the SVHS connector signals, and 4-5 are
used for composite baseband video.

The swing on such signals, should be about 1V or so, into 75
ohms ? Maybe the motherboard even has jack sensing, in which
case the video will only work, if the graphics core senses
there is a load connected to the adapter.

In any case, there is nothing active on the Asus adapter. It
might have some filtering components, to meet FCC emission
requirements, but other than that, it just provides connectors.

So, please clarify whether you are using a video card or not.
If you are, the motherboard TV out won't work. Also, examine
the video card carefully, as I'm having trouble understanding
how a resistor on the video card can actually touch the AGP
slot.

A picture would help. Do you have a web site ?

HTH,
Paul
Old May 25th 04, 06:04 PM
Spiro M. Telegadis

(Paul) wrote in message news:nospam-
[...]

Paul,

Thanks for your interest in this post. To answer your question with
respect to this product and the equivalent MSI there is one variation.
the Asus Product Allows for TV output via a Dongle adapter which
connects to an onboard connector, or via an Add on Daughter Card which
utilizes the AGP Socket to add functionality of DVI and TV-output
combined, Utilizing the IGP onboard. Heres a photo of the product:

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage....131-209-03.JPG

So Techincally its not a "Video Card" but it interfaces like one.

BTW: Newegg is who I purchased it from.

What I believe you are talking about it the first of the two. As
shown in:

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage....131-211-03.JPG

The Problem with the card and a short with the AGP socket is, in my
opinion, a factor of the quality the product, AGP-NV-DVI. I gather
that because using the same nVidia unified driver with another Asus
Video Card the V9520/TD TV out works fine. In that instance I am
bypassing the IGP and using the TV out of the Video Card. In
addition DVI on the AGP-NV-DVI works fine. So there's something
screwy going on.

Your also right about the Jack sensing. Everthing is plugged in and
on when the computer starts. However, the problem is that the jack on
the card isn't working with TV-out. Every other Video connection
functions fine.

With respect to your comment about the resistor and the AGP socket.
There is no physical contact with the two. The proximity is, IMHO,
too close causing a short to jump. If you refer to the picture of the
card previously linked you will see a resistor at the leading edge of
the inside portion of the connector. The only reason I make that
comment is because it happened twice once inside the case once outside
on an ESD pad, with two different PFC power supplies.

I'm speaking to a supervisior at ASUS now. Who is not returning my
calls either. I called again today and got the brush off. If I don't
hear back from them today I'm writing to the head of the company about
the lack of service and responsible buisness like behavior they have
exhibited. You can be sure I will update the post if, or should I
say, when that occurs.

I have been extremely dissappointed in this whole experience and it
has soured my opinion of Asus.
Old May 27th 04, 10:01 PM
Spiro M. Telegadis

(Spiro M. Telegadis) wrote in message . com...
[...]

RESOLUTION!
ASUS SCREWED UP. Even though they won't admit it. The product they
have, the AGP-NV-DVI, should not have TV-out connectors. That feature
should only be supported via the AV/S Daughter Card. These Cards were
produced by mistake. The tech was trying to tell me that Newegg sold
me the wrong card, but you can tell by the PCB that its right the
feature just isn't supported.

Bottom line is the card is being replaced and they are sending me a TV
out AV/S Daughter card.

WHAT A PAIN!