HP Pavilion

Old February 1st 04, 09:05 PM
Wildbill

Default HP Pavilion

I have a pavilion 6540C with a 466Mh Celeron processor, and would like
to upgrade it to an AMD Athalon XP. Can anyone reccomend a
motherboard?? It uses a micro atx 9.6"x9.6" board
Old February 2nd 04, 03:01 AM
Irrat8ed

Time to start over. I think you should get a new case and a A7N8X-deluxe.
I don't hink you'll find a mobo that will fit in there.

Old February 2nd 04, 12:07 PM
Paul

In article , "Irrat8ed"
wrote:

Time to start over. I think you should get a new case and a A7N8X-deluxe.
I don't hink you'll find a mobo that will fit in there.

Well, along those lines, there is A7N8X-VM, a microATX board:

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7N8X-VM&langs=09

You can check this page as well, and look for models that end in -VM,
-MX, -V and so on. There doesn't seem to be a strong theme to the
naming of microATX boards. (The V means built in graphics, the M might
mean microATX, the X might mean "stripped down" or "cheap".)

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm

As with any Asus board, google on the model number, to see if there
are any gotchas. For Nforce2 boards, visit the forums at nforcershq.com.
For other Asus boards, try abxzone.com forums. Those sites will have
info on ram choices, overclocking problems, and whether the board
is a pain to use or not.

Note that a certain percentage of Asus motherboard models have
"vanilla" BIOS. So, if you plan on overclocking or adjusting
memory timings and the like, you should download the PDF
version of the manual, and verify the features you need are in
the BIOS. Asus microATX boards tend to the vanilla side, as
microATX boards are used by businesses for mass deployments,
and everyone knows that business users never overclock :-)

Before you purchase, also check that your power supply has the
necessary connectors and power rating for your upgrade. A lot
of modern motherboards are now using the 2x2 connector to carry
extra +12V current. A power supply without the connector might
not even have enough current on +12V, so an adapter might not
be enough to do the job. I like to see +12V @ 15A printed on the
side of the PS, as this will handle most small installs. With
a fast processor, +12V @ 10A is cutting things too close. A
high end video card can also draw several amps from +12V via the
extra power connector on the surface of the video card.
You can check the AMD website for more details, as they talk
about "AMD approved" power supplies over there and might have
more details about how to select a supply. Too bad Asus didn't
offer advice on this subject.

Proprietary cases sometimes present a problem if you are upgrading.
If you need to buy another power supply, you might want to check
the specs for dimensions and position of holes for the case screws.
A good branded power supply should have a spec sheet on the web,
with output current specs, and a physical drawing showing dimensions.

HTH,
Paul

"Wildbill" wrote in message
I have a pavilion 6540C with a 466Mh Celeron processor, and would like
to upgrade it to an AMD Athalon XP. Can anyone reccomend a
motherboard?? It uses a micro atx 9.6"x9.6" board

how do i overclocking a hp pavilion 754n Bakercollege2007 Overclocking AMD Processors 0 June 5th 04 06:24 AM
HP Pavilion Question Jack Bruss General 2 January 8th 04 08:02 PM
Pavilion 4450 4550Z BIOS Paul Asus Motherboards 3 December 1st 03 03:02 AM
HP Pavilion 7920 @drian General 2 September 18th 03 05:52 PM
HELP - HP Pavilion - black screen - won't boot Wes Byers General 0 August 20th 03 03:19 AM