Sound card produces odd noises during boot-up

Old January 3rd 04, 04:04 AM
Chaos Master

Default Sound card produces odd noises during boot-up

Hello. I am new to this group, but not to Usenet.

I have an Aztech Sound III 336SP sound card, that, while booting, will start to
"beep" in a pattern (like Morse code). After Windows boots the sound card works
correctly.

Is this beeping normal? I think that the motherboard "tests" the sound card during
bootup and this causes the beeping.

PS: I don't have a microphone hooked up to the card. Just a pair of cheap speakers
and headphones.

Thanks.
--
Chaos® - posting from Brazil
Please ask for e-mail address.
Old January 3rd 04, 04:35 AM
*Vanguard*

"Chaos Master" said in :
Hello. I am new to this group, but not to Usenet.

I have an Aztech Sound III 336SP sound card, that, while booting,
will start to "beep" in a pattern (like Morse code). After Windows
boots the sound card works correctly.

Is this beeping normal? I think that the motherboard "tests" the
sound card during bootup and this causes the beeping.

PS: I don't have a microphone hooked up to the card. Just a pair of
cheap speakers and headphones.

Thanks.

Are you using the Windows-supplied audio drivers?

You don't mention your motherboard. Might it perhaps require you obtain
and/or install the chipset drivers? Like maybe VIA's chipset drivers if
using a VIA chipset motherboard or one with nVidia's nForce[2] chipset.

Did you ever bother to go to the manufacturer's web site to get their latest
audio drivers that are Windows XP compatible? I don't know if Aztech even
provides a web site for downloads. If not, maybe you can find a driver web
site by doing a Google search for "+Aztech sound card"

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Old January 3rd 04, 04:08 PM
Chaos Master

] said this in alt.comp.hardware, at Sat, 03 Jan 2004
04:35:49 GMT, in article FErJb.105465$VB2.272368@attbi_s51. I can prove it. And
thus I reply:

Are you using the Windows-supplied audio drivers?

Yes, if my understanding of the output from AIDA32 is right.

You don't mention your motherboard. Might it perhaps require you obtain
and/or install the chipset drivers? Like maybe VIA's chipset drivers if
using a VIA chipset motherboard or one with nVidia's nForce[2] chipset.

No. I am using a motherboard with a Intel i430VX chipset - according to AIDA32.

AIDA32_DUMP

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 03/03/97-i430VX-02071997C-00
Motherboard Name Amptron PM-7900/8800

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Amptron International, Inc.
[snip URL's]

Chipset Properties
Motherboard Chipset Intel Triton 82430VX
External Cache Size 0 KB
External Cache Status Disabled

/// SOUND CARD INFO ///

Device Properties
Driver Description Aztech 2320 Compatible PnP Audio (WDM)
Driver Date 05/05/1999
Driver Provider Microsoft
INF File WDMA_AZT.INF

/AIDA32_DUMP

and as far as I know there's a driver of the chipset, loaded.

Did you ever bother to go to the manufacturer's web site to get their latest
audio drivers that are Windows XP compatible? I don't know if Aztech even
provides a web site for downloads. If not, maybe you can find a driver web
site by doing a Google search for "+Aztech sound card"

Not yet. I will do this today. Thanks.

Old January 3rd 04, 06:29 PM
kony

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 14:08:09 -0200, Chaos Master
wrote:

snip, snip, snip

Motherboard ID 03/03/97-i430VX-02071997C-00
Motherboard Name Amptron PM-7900/8800

Driver Description Aztech 2320 Compatible PnP Audio (WDM)
Driver Date 05/05/1999
Driver Provider Microsoft
INF File WDMA_AZT.INF

/AIDA32_DUMP

and as far as I know there's a driver of the chipset, loaded.

Yes, the Intel VX chipset is "natively" supported by Windows, no
additional driver needed.

Did you ever bother to go to the manufacturer's web site to get their latest
audio drivers that are Windows XP compatible? I don't know if Aztech even
provides a web site for downloads. If not, maybe you can find a driver web
site by doing a Google search for "+Aztech sound card"

Not yet. I will do this today. Thanks.

What operating system? If it's Win9x, try browsing to the sound card
drivers, see if there's a "VXD" driver instead of the WDM.. sometimes
called the "win95" or Win98" driver, opposed to being called a Win98SE
or newer driver... the Win95/98 driver will work on 98SE too, but I
don't know about ME, not enough experience with ME.

My first reaction when I read you had an Amptron VX board, was "yuck".
To put it bluntly, that's a poor board even ignoring it's age or (now)
low performance. It may be time to see what motherboard upgrades are
possible.

Dave

Old January 3rd 04, 07:32 PM
Chaos Master

] said this in alt.comp.hardware, at Sat, 03 Jan 2004 18:29:33
GMT, in article . I can prove it. And
thus I reply:

What operating system? If it's Win9x, try browsing to the sound card
drivers, see if there's a "VXD" driver instead of the WDM.. sometimes
called the "win95" or Win98" driver, opposed to being called a Win98SE
or newer driver... the Win95/98 driver will work on 98SE too, but I
don't know about ME, not enough experience with ME.

Windows 98 SE. But as I said, the beeping happens before Windows loads. It happens
at early POST (just before memory testing).

My first reaction when I read you had an Amptron VX board, was "yuck".
To put it bluntly, that's a poor board even ignoring it's age or (now)
low performance. It may be time to see what motherboard upgrades are
possible.

I know that, and I am soon going to buy a new computer. For my light usage (MS-
Office/Internet) I've never bothered with getting a new motherboard.

Old January 4th 04, 11:10 AM
jamotto

Chaos Master wrote in message . ..
[...]

You might try changing the PCI latency if you recently added new
hardware.

Also if you can try and reseat the sound card. May have worked it's
self loose.

If the above don't help since you said it sounded like morse code. It
could be just sending out an "SOS" knowing how bad the motherboard is
:-)
Old January 4th 04, 03:05 PM
Chaos Master

] said this in alt.comp.hardware, at 4 Jan 2004
03:10:14 -0800, in article . I
can prove it. And thus I reply:

You might try changing the PCI latency if you recently added new
hardware.

Also if you can try and reseat the sound card. May have worked it's
self loose.

I will try those solutions. The last hardware I added was a printer and scanner.

If the above don't help since you said it sounded like morse code. It
could be just sending out an "SOS" knowing how bad the motherboard is
:-)

:-D. Seriously, the beeping is too fast to be correctly understood, but it sounds
like 'AAAA'

--
Chaos® - posting from Brazil
Please ask for e-mail address.

Sound card problems with Jetway 993AN board Steve Macleod General 1 December 2nd 03 09:10 PM
Mobo On-Board Sound + PCI Sound Card? John E General 19 December 1st 03 10:29 PM
video card replaced, machine will only boot to safe mode hiphop General 2 November 5th 03 08:06 AM
Santa Cruz Sound Card Davek General 0 August 17th 03 10:33 PM
onboard sound or sound card? mig General 4 August 3rd 03 03:38 PM