Slow Loading of programs on P4C800 Deluxe

Old October 28th 03, 11:04 AM
The Vicar

Default Slow Loading of programs on P4C800 Deluxe

Hi All,

I've recently upgraded my P4 2.6 800 with 512Mb of 3200 RAM using
Hyperthreading, to use an 80 gig Hard Drive on SATA 1, while keeping two
other Drives on IDE 1 and 2 (Both as Master with CD and CDRW as Slaves).

Now the SATA HD (C Drive) is seen during Boot up as Drive 3 with D as Drive
1 and E as Drive 2.

Nothing else has changed and I have installed WinXP Home with all the
security patches and revisions on the SATA C Drive with BIOS settings to
Turbo or fastest option, but since doing this, all programs including
Outlook, Outlook Express, Word and so on, take an age to load up. Has anyone
had this problem or got any suggestions as to how I can speed things back up
to normal?

Thanks,

John.

Old October 29th 03, 02:06 PM
harry wong

John- I have basically the same setup as you (except I use the P4p800). Also
added a Seagate SATA drive (as boot) without any problems.

Have you changed the Turbo option to Standard and checked the results? I
think that turbo will force the RAM to run at 2-2-5. which your memory may
not be able to handle (although I would expect an "overclocking Failed"
error prior to Boot rather than slowdowns inside of Windows).

I think the problem is more software related. Did you happen to copy you old
drive to the new one and then install XP? Reason I ask is that this sure
sounds like some form of Registry problem within Windows and not a hardware
problem outside of it. If you have time, ghost your current C drive, save
the image on D drive. Reboot with XP disk in the CD drive, and reinstall
Windows (but do it as a new installation- have XP FORMAT the C drive) Then
add the programs you are having problems with and see how it works (it will
work, btw).

A hardware problem would have been easier, but doesn't look like you're that
lucky.

harry

.. .