T2p4s mainboard with 120 Gb harddisk

Old July 21st 03, 06:12 PM
Matt

Default T2p4s mainboard with 120 Gb harddisk

Hello,

I am having trouble getting my BIOS to see the new harddisk I bought,
which is a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 of 120Gb.

I downloaded the latest BIOS version T25R0206, and resetted to Bios
defaults after the upgrade.

Could anyone help me out please?

Thank you in advance,

Matt
Old July 22nd 03, 03:51 PM
Nikolaos Tampakis

On 21 Jul 2003 10:12:12 -0700, (Matt) wrote:

Hello,

I am having trouble getting my BIOS to see the new harddisk I bought,
which is a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 of 120Gb.

I downloaded the latest BIOS version T25R0206, and resetted to Bios
defaults after the upgrade.

Could anyone help me out please?

Thank you in advance,

Matt

I think the most you can get with this board is 32 GB support (due to
the BIOS of course. The board itself actually has nothing to do with
disk size limits).
Solutions:

a) Buy an add-on PCI IDE controller which has modern firmware and will
support even 137 GB disks.
If the BIOS has an option where to boot off (onboard IDE vs offboard
SCSI - PCI IDE controllers are treated the same way) set the priority
to SCSI first and you're done. If it doesn't, and you do have other
disks on your onboard IDE controllers, you can just set the BIOS to
'None' for those disks. It won't make a difference _in most cases_ as
Windows etc will recognise the disks with its own drivers. If you use
plain DOS though this can be a problem.

b) Use an overlay boot loader. Every hard disk manufacturer seems to
have such a loader of their own. This replaces standard int13h BIOS
functions with up-to-date versions and can thus recognise and boot
modern large hard drives. You could use the 120 gb itself if the BIOS
recognised it (albeit just the first 32 gb) but since you say it
doesn't recognise it, you'll have to install the overlay on other
media - a floppy disk for example.

Regards
Nikos Tampakis