Can't drag and drop onto a CDR disk with Sony cd writer

Old June 28th 03, 10:22 PM
NgOnly

Default Can't drag and drop onto a CDR disk with Sony cd writer

Hi. I bought a Sony CRX225A CD-R/RW 52X write, 24X rewrite drive.

This replaces my Yamaha CRW2100E rewritable drive which stopped writing to
disks not too long ago (after only 150 disks used -- sucks but that is
another story).

My question is this. I used Adaptec DirectCD with the Yamaha drive, which
allowed me to drag and drop onto CDR disks. But, my new Sony drive forces me
to use their B's Recorder Gold software if I want to use CDR disk, and drag
and drop can't be done with a CDR disk.

If I want to drag and drop, Sony says I have to buy CDRW disks, which are
more expensive.

What's the deal? Why could I drag and drop on my 2 year old Yamaha cd writer
using CDRs but not my new Sony writer (where they say I have to use CDRW
disks)?

Should I return it and get another drive?

All I want to do is simple data archiving, dragging and dropping data from
Explorer. Can any of you gurus advise me. Perhaps there is a better drive
more suited to my needs?

Or can I use other software with the Sony drive that will allow me to drag
and drop onto CDRs?

Thanks for any advice.

Old June 28th 03, 11:06 PM
Rick

"NgOnly" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
[...]

Are you using a version of DirectCd that was bundled with another drive?

If so it won't work with another make drive. You may want to consider using
multisession burning rather than packet writing. Don't trust important data
with packet writing.

Old June 28th 03, 11:52 PM
Dan G

Your version of DirectCD may not be compatible with that drive, and you
would need to update it. I'm not familiar with Sony's proprietary software,
but if it has packet writing function, you cannot install DirectCD on the
system at the same time. Check the DirectCD drive compatibility list for
your version.
Another option would be to flash that Sony to a LiteOn firmware (LTR-52246S,
recommend 6S0D), and use Nero or Easy CD for burning. Of course you still
have to have a version that's compatible with the newer drives.

rthlink.net...

Old June 28th 03, 11:54 PM
smh

NgOnly wrote:

[...]

It's not the drive. B's CLip does not support cd-r media.

If you like drag&drop with cd-r media, look into RSJ CD-Writer, which
does drag&drop without using packet writing:

http://www.rsj.de
Old June 29th 03, 02:39 AM
smh

NgOnly wrote:

I downloaded this and it works great. I'd like a less expensive alternative,
although I do love this.

Couldn't believe the price for NT/2K/XP version.

Suggest DLA (in RecordNow MAX)($39) which support cd-r media:
http://www.stompinc.com/recordnowmax...tail.phtml?stp

(Learn about multisession burning.)

"smh" wrote...

Old June 29th 03, 02:42 AM
Officer Friendly

I use B's Recorder Gold to drag and drop files on CDR's in a Sony
drive almost every day. It works flawlessly. However, the recording
drive is a 16/10/40. Maybe the newer drives are different, but I doubt
it. I do remember reading somewhere when I installed the drive that
DirectCD could not reside on the system at the same time as B's
Recorder Gold. That may be the problem. I would make sure that
DirectCD is removed, along with all references to it in the registry,
win.ini and system.ini.

"Dan G" wrote in message ...
Your version of DirectCD may not be compatible with that drive, and you
would need to update it. I'm not familiar with Sony's proprietary software,
but if it has packet writing function, you cannot install DirectCD on the
system at the same time. Check the DirectCD drive compatibility list for
your version.
Another option would be to flash that Sony to a LiteOn firmware (LTR-52246S,
recommend 6S0D), and use Nero or Easy CD for burning. Of course you still
have to have a version that's compatible with the newer drives.

rthlink.net...

Old June 29th 03, 03:59 AM
NgOnly

(Learn about multisession burning.)

Where can I read up on this (for dummies like me)?
Thx for your advice.

Old June 29th 03, 04:08 AM
NgOnly

B's Recorder Gold5 came with the drive. I was surprised to learn that I
can't drag and drop to a CDR. Sony technical support said this. Can only
drag and drop with CDRW.

How do you use Recorder Gold to drag and drop? I thought B's Clip was for
dragging and dropping. At least that's true for the software that came with
my CD burner.

I have uninstalled DirectCD and the problem (or should I say planned
configuration?) persists. At least now Sony has confirmed why.

om...

"Dan G" wrote in message

Your version of DirectCD may not be compatible with that drive, and you
would need to update it. I'm not familiar with Sony's proprietary

software,
but if it has packet writing function, you cannot install DirectCD on

the
system at the same time. Check the DirectCD drive compatibility list for
your version.
Another option would be to flash that Sony to a LiteOn firmware

(LTR-52246S,
recommend 6S0D), and use Nero or Easy CD for burning. Of course you

still
have to have a version that's compatible with the newer drives.

rthlink.net...

Old June 29th 03, 04:53 AM
NoNoBadDog!

"SNIP

Are you using a version of DirectCd that was bundled with another drive?

If so it won't work with another make drive. You may want to consider

using
multisession burning rather than packet writing. Don't trust important

data
with packet writing.

Another post that is total BS. Roxio CD Creator ver. 5.1 and above will
work with almost any drive. There are updates for the newset drives on the
market. You just need to install it and then go to the Roxio website for
the latest updates. Packet writing is as safe as any other ofrm, and is in
fact as safe as delayed disc writes on NTFS discs. Other computers will
need to have a UDF reader installed to read a packet written CD-RW. I hate
when someone who does not know what he's talking about answeres a post,
giving completely wrong information.

In addition to Roxio's product, you can use Nero Burning Rom.

The person who posted the above probably could not find his a** with both
hands and a map!

Bobby

Old June 29th 03, 06:56 AM
smh

NgOnly wrote:

(Learn about multisession burning.)

Where can I read up on this (for dummies like me)?

Get EZ Tutorial:
http://www.bhacorp.com/support/tut_goldwin/index.html