"The image is on a drive that is not recognised" continued...

Old December 19th 04, 08:41 AM
Jussi

Default "The image is on a drive that is not recognised" continued...

Hi!

I could not reply to the original thread, started by 2004-12-17
01:54:48 PST because:
"Unable to retrieve message
"

Dave C. ) wrote:

"I use a similar program (Acronis True image) and it creates
incremental
backups UNLESS you specify that the whole image should be created.
That is,
it only adds changes to the original image. My guess is that Ghost is
looking for the original (full) image to add incremental changes to,
and
thus it is giving you an error message. Try creating a new (full)
mage. -Dave"

I think that I have been doing full backups all along. The idea of
incremental backups didn't even cross my mind. I have to check weather
or not Ghost
has that option. With the old disk I always named the backups
differently and only two backups fitted to the disk at the same time.

BR549 ) wrote:

"Are you starting Ghost from windows or from a bootable floppy? At
what time
in the process do you get the error. During an image creation you are
required to pick the drive your imaging to and name that file, I would
think
that if the add on drive was a problem it would not be listed as a
choice.
The error msg sounds like one you would get on a restore and not an
image
creation."

I am using Ghost from Windows.
First I select the drives that are to be backupped into a file (C,D
and E)
by pressing the backup button.
Then I select the target file (F:\B9.gho) by using the browse button.
When press the proceed button Ghost gives me the error message.

Jussi
Old January 3rd 05, 04:28 AM

I am using Ghost from Windows. First I select the drives that
are to be backupped into a file (C,D and E) by pressing the
backup button. Then I select the target file (F:\B9.gho) by using
the browse button. When press the proceed button Ghost gives
me the error message.

The same with me. The invalid drive shows up in the destination
browsre but not in the source browser. In my case both are similar 160
Gig drives, but the invalid destination is one of three partitions on
it's drive. All are NTFS, and I'm sure that Ghost recognised the
partition that is now invalid in the previous setup that held this hard
drive. Since then I've replaced the motherboard and the C drive and
restored Win2k from Ghost backup CDs. Maybe there's something I can do
to the offending partition with WinHex, or something I can do in
registry to make Ghost see my data drive. Reinstalling Norton Ghost
2003 doesn't help.

Old January 31st 05, 07:06 PM

FYI, although Ghost would not copy to or from the drive in Windows, it
worked well in Ghost Interactive mode.
So just drop into Ghost DOS mode and use the so-called manual method,
which has a nice GUI and is no more difficult than the Windows GUI.

how to test psu and reset to cmos to default Tanya General 23 February 7th 05 09:56 AM
Help With Hard Drive Replacement Boba & Ilinka General 4 December 16th 04 02:42 PM
Upgrade Report [GeekTech: New App Makes Backups Easier - 09/07/2004] Ablang General 0 December 15th 04 04:10 AM
Help... Gene Puhl Homebuilt PC's 3 April 10th 04 02:16 AM
need help moving Windows XP to new drive Sammy Heavyfoot Homebuilt PC's 15 October 12th 03 01:22 PM