Athlon XP 2500, cooling

Old September 9th 04, 10:09 AM
mike serpedo

Default Athlon XP 2500, cooling

I have an Asus notebook (L3350M / model L300D_L) equipped with
Athlon XP-M 2500+ (system clock 133.90 x 14.0), SiS740 chipset,
512 MB RAM, Windows XP SP1.
The problem is, it shuts down by itself quite often when cpu
temperature rises.
Windows' built-in HLT cooling does not work for Athlon, so I
downloaded several "cooling software". CPUIdle and another one
who have specific AMD cooling options work fine (temperature
drops by ~ 10-20°C), but the systems becomes very unstable,
Windows does not shut down properly and hard disk data gets
corrupted.
I have tried VCool but it doesn't support my motherboard.
Actually I'm using Speedfan, but it's useless for cooling and doesn't
let me change fan settings and voltages.
I really hope somebody here can help me...
Thanks,

Mike

Old September 9th 04, 01:16 PM
rms

Not sure how laptop cooling works, but why not re-do the heatsink compound
application on the cpu.

rms

Old September 9th 04, 01:46 PM
Gareth Tuckwell

and clean out all the heatsink and fans - dust clogs up and reduces air flow
+ efficiency.

m...

Old September 9th 04, 03:11 PM
Larry Gagnon

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 09:09:40 +0000, mike serpedo wrote:

[...]

Mike: it seems to me you are under the incorrect impression that cooling
software will reduce your CPU heat. It does not; most of it only monitors
the temperatures.

To improve your cooling is a hardware issue and has NOTHING to do with
software. My guess is that:

1) your CPU fan or fan sensors are not working properly
2) your CPU heat sink needs reseating with good heat sink compund onto
your CPU
3) your notebook and fans are completely choked with dust or
4) your notebook is surrounded by junk so you airflow is poor and/or your
rooms ambient tmperature is VERY warm.

Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.

--
********************************
to reply via email remove "fake"

Old September 9th 04, 04:43 PM
Dave.G

Monitoring software such as MBM monitors and reports the actual temps
and fan speeds. Cooling software such as CPUidle actually reduces the
temp of your processor, You should take a look here as I cant be
bothered to explain it all.
http://www.cpuidle.de/

Old September 9th 04, 07:13 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 07:11:06 -0700, Larry Gagnon wrote:

Mike: it seems to me you are under the incorrect impression that cooling
software will reduce your CPU heat. It does not; most of it only monitors
the temperatures.

Sorry, you are mistaken. Software cooling programs issue a stop_grant
istruction to the cpu which in turn basically halts the cpu by
disconnecting the FSB. Can't help much with Windows, but there are a few
I've used with linux. Athcool (for SIS), LVcool (for VIA). Under full cpu
load, these only help marginally, but under normal load, they help
tremedously. IIRC, with my 2100+ cpu oveclocked to 2100MHz, Idle temps
only went up 2C when I turned the CPU cooler fan off, from 30C to 32C.
Testing different coolers on an overvolted (1.85v), overclocked (1650MHz)
1600+ XP Palomino core, the hottest one I had, idle temps dropped from
44.8C to 28.8C using LVcool. Under full load they dropped from 50.4C to
47C.