Which is faster: two 7800GT's 256MB in SLI, or a single 9600 GT512MB?

Old March 24th 08, 04:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Plough

Default Which is faster: two 7800GT's 256MB in SLI, or a single 9600 GT512MB?

I am currently running two 7800GTs with 256MB of ram in SLI mode.
Performance is ok, but I know i can do better without dropping too
much cash. I am curious to know if a single 9600 GT 512MB (perhaps
slightly overclocked) would be overall better/faster than my current
setup?

I'd like to trade up to 9600 dual SLI but can likely only afford one
of them for now, but if my performance would be worse with just one
then I need to wait until i can afford two at the same time.
Old March 24th 08, 07:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon[_3_]

'Plough' wrote:
I am currently running two 7800GTs with 256MB of ram in SLI mode.
Performance is ok, but I know i can do better without dropping too
much cash. I am curious to know if a single 9600 GT 512MB (perhaps
slightly overclocked) would be overall better/faster than my current
setup?

I'd like to trade up to 9600 dual SLI but can likely only afford one
of them for now, but if my performance would be worse with just one
then I need to wait until i can afford two at the same time.

_____

To what purpose? In what system? With what OS?

One 8800 GT?

Phil Weldon

Old March 24th 08, 04:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Plough

On Mar 24, 2:15 am, "Phil Weldon" wrote:
'Plough' wrote:
I am currently running two 7800GTs with 256MB of ram in SLI mode.
Performance is ok, but I know i can do better without dropping too
much cash. I am curious to know if a single 9600 GT 512MB (perhaps
slightly overclocked) would be overall better/faster than my current
setup?

I'd like to trade up to 9600 dual SLI but can likely only afford one
of them for now, but if my performance would be worse with just one
then I need to wait until i can afford two at the same time.

_____

To what purpose? In what system? With what OS?

One 8800 GT?

Phil Weldon

3d gaming in general is the main purpose. I play some MMOs like LOTRO
and GuildWars. Dabble with FPS games also from time to time.
The rest of my system is running WinXP SP2 on board with 3GB ram and
2.4Ghz AMD dual core CPU.

Have kind of considered one 8800 GT but am thinking two 9600 GTs would
outspeed one 8800GT but not sure. Am also not sure if my mainboard
has enough physical space for me to have dual 8800GTs in SLI later and
still let me have a PCI sound card. I think the 9600GTs are a bit
thinner than an 8800GT?
Old March 24th 08, 04:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ed Medlin

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
'Plough' wrote:
I am currently running two 7800GTs with 256MB of ram in SLI mode.
Performance is ok, but I know i can do better without dropping too
much cash. I am curious to know if a single 9600 GT 512MB (perhaps
slightly overclocked) would be overall better/faster than my current
setup?

I'd like to trade up to 9600 dual SLI but can likely only afford one
of them for now, but if my performance would be worse with just one
then I need to wait until i can afford two at the same time.

_____

To what purpose? In what system? With what OS?

One 8800 GT?

Phil Weldon

I would think that even an 8800GTS should be faster than the two 7800s. One
8800GTX or GT should do the job very well.

Ed---- Proud new Grandpa as of the 3/19/08 birth of Nathaniel Ivan Medlin

Old March 24th 08, 07:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Homer Jay Simpson

'Plough' wrote:
[...]

The 9600 GT 's raw processing power is 38% lower than that of an 8800 GT.
Both of these cards are single slot width design.

The 8800 GTS is a double slot width design because of extra width required
by the better quieter cooler.

Old March 27th 08, 10:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Plough

I appreciate all the commentary!
The reason I was hot on the dual 9600s is from this Tom's Hardware
article, page 5:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/...ics/page5.html

Note his comments he
Frankly, the performance increase of two 8800 GTs over two 9600 GTs is
usually not worth mentioning, but there are a handful of games where
the 8800 GT will win by a notable percentage at high resolutions. If
high resolution gaming with high image quality options enabled is your
forte, and budget isn't a concern, two 8800 GTs might be justifiable
for you.

Old March 27th 08, 11:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Homer Jay Simpson

"Plough" wrote in message
I appreciate all the commentary!
The reason I was hot on the dual 9600s is from this Tom's Hardware
article, page 5:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/...ics/page5.html

Note his comments he
Frankly, the performance increase of two 8800 GTs over two 9600 GTs is
usually not worth mentioning, but there are a handful of games where
the 8800 GT will win by a notable percentage at high resolutions. If
high resolution gaming with high image quality options enabled is your
forte, and budget isn't a concern, two 8800 GTs might be justifiable
for you.

You're welcome.

I erred on the side of high resolution use because you never mentioned what
resolution(s) you intended to run your games at.

Old March 27th 08, 11:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

Oh this is good, Homer Jay Simpson and Mr. Plough talking to each other...

"Homer Jay Simpson" wrote in message

Old March 28th 08, 03:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Homer Jay Simpson

"First of One" wrote in message
Oh this is good, Homer Jay Simpson and Mr. Plough talking to each other...

"Homer Jay Simpson" wrote in message
"Plough" wrote in message

Episode 9F067. That's "Mr. Plow" to you.