Good forceware version fo 6800GT?

Old March 2nd 08, 05:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Robert Blass

Default Good forceware version fo 6800GT?

I have nvidia Gerforce 6800GT. I was wondering what is a good and SAFE
forceware version for it?

I'm currently using 93.71

And can you control the fan with newer forcewares?

thanks

Old March 2nd 08, 06:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

"Robert Blass" wrote in message
I have nvidia Gerforce 6800GT. I was wondering what is a good and SAFE
forceware version for it?

I'm currently using 93.71

And can you control the fan with newer forcewares?

thanks

Safe? In what way? The current release is just fine, very stable and likely
faster than your 16 month old version. . Yours date from Nov '06. The fan
can be controlled by installing Ntune overclocking and tweaking utility from
Nvidia after installing the forceware. It is not included in the Forceware
download. Personally, I don't care for it and have used Rivatuner which is
far easier and more powerful.

Old March 2nd 08, 07:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Augustus wrote:
"Robert Blass" wrote in message
I have nvidia Gerforce 6800GT. I was wondering what is a good and SAFE
forceware version for it?

I'm currently using 93.71

And can you control the fan with newer forcewares?

thanks

Safe? In what way? The current release is just fine, very stable and likely
faster than your 16 month old version. . Yours date from Nov '06. The fan
can be controlled by installing Ntune overclocking and tweaking utility from
Nvidia after installing the forceware. It is not included in the Forceware
download. Personally, I don't care for it and have used Rivatuner which is
far easier and more powerful.

Don't scoff, there are "unsafe" Forceware versions floating around and
for reasons you might not guess right off the bat.

I'll give you a second to think about what can be 'unsafe' about
Forceware driver installs. Think before reading on...

*

*

*

*

*

* Beyond overclocking memory or the core when you didn't do it, or want
it done. That would break a card..but it's something else...

*

*

*

*

* Think about the motherboard and how they allow for greater control of
it, and nTune

*

*

*

*

*

Some versions of Forcewares SHUT OFF YOUR FANS UPON INSTALL on your CPU,
motherboard, GPU and PSU. It happened to me, both of my PSU fans shut
off (they are connected to the motherboard by a lead and the PSU header
on the mobo, for added control) and it wasn't until the PSU started
making odd noises did I realize what was going on.

Strange but true, you can destroy your gear with a bad and official
driver set. Fun, eh?

Old March 2nd 08, 07:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus

Strange but true, you can destroy your gear with a bad and official driver
set. Fun, eh?

Hmmm, interesting...first I've heard of that with a Forceware driver. A Cat
release with major issues and scritical problems is something I've become
used to.

Old March 2nd 08, 07:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Conor[_2_]

In article , Mr.E Solved!
says...

Strange but true, you can destroy your gear with a bad and official
driver set. Fun, eh?

cough
Bull****
/cough

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old March 2nd 08, 08:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Robert Blass

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 12:35:31 -0500, Robert Blass
sayd the following:

I have nvidia Gerforce 6800GT. I was wondering what is a good and SAFE
forceware version for it?

I'm currently using 93.71

And can you control the fan with newer forcewares?

thanks

oh well.

Old March 3rd 08, 12:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Conor wrote:
In article , Mr.E Solved!
says...

Strange but true, you can destroy your gear with a bad and official
driver set. Fun, eh?

cough
Bull****
/cough

That's ok Conor, I expect nothing less from you!

/here, have a lozenge for that nasty cough
Old March 3rd 08, 02:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
* Beyond overclocking memory or the core when you didn't do it, or want it
done. That would break a card..but it's something else...

Overclocking doesn't damage the card. Clocked too high and the card will
simply show artifacts or lock up.

ATi's drivers do in fact allow real-time voltage adjustments in software;
and this can damage the card if set incorrectly. I believe with nVidia the
voltages are "hard"-set in the card's BIOS, and not exposed to the driver,
so this is not a problem. (Hence the need for utilities like NiBiTor.)

Some versions of Forcewares SHUT OFF YOUR FANS UPON INSTALL on your CPU,
motherboard, GPU and PSU. It happened to me, both of my PSU fans shut off
(they are connected to the motherboard by a lead and the PSU header on the
mobo, for added control) and it wasn't until the PSU started making odd
noises did I realize what was going on.

Added control? What PSU are you using? I don't recall ever coming across a
PSU that allows its fan speed to be controlled by the motherboard. This is
just plain stupid, because every PSU is different. A "default" fan schedule
that works for PSU A won't work for PSU B.

Strange but true, you can destroy your gear with a bad and official driver
set. Fun, eh?

Back in the day, certain Forceware 8x.xx drivers were known to kill monitors
with a new "Direct Access" feature. The feature was soon retracted.

Old March 3rd 08, 05:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
TheCroW

I have nvidia Gerforce 6800GT. I was wondering what is a good and SAFE
forceware version for it?

I'm currently using 93.71

And can you control the fan with newer forcewares?

thanks

Well, I have the GeForce EN6600 TopSilent TD and using the latest Nvidia
forceware drivers (version 169.21) on my Windows XP Home SP2 system is
giving no problem at all. Only thing that is "weird", is the new NVidia
control panel: I don't like it al all myself, looks like some kind of
Windows Help screen .... but other then that, the latest forceware is
working cool and safe with my GeForce 6600.

Menno

Old March 3rd 08, 02:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
-

I have been using the 169.21 download from the Nvidia site. The only time I
have had problems so far is when I have gone into the Nvidia control panel
and run the stability test (I bought my card used and wanted to thrash it a
bit to see if it would have problems under stress while I could still return
it). It runs the stability test just fine, but each time after running the
test, the first time I reboot there is a problem. It will boot fine until
just after the desktop comes up and then about a two seconds later the
display screen goes all squiggly. I have to reboot into safe mode and
reload the drivers. Therefore, I think it is an Ntune or driver issue.
Otherwise, I have not had any issues with 169.21.

"Robert Blass" wrote in message
I have nvidia Gerforce 6800GT. I was wondering what is a good and SAFE
forceware version for it?

I'm currently using 93.71

And can you control the fan with newer forcewares?

thanks

ForceWare rel. 90, version 94.24 update botched ftr Nvidia Videocards 5 September 28th 07 05:35 PM
ForceWare XP Relese Version: 162.18 Official BETA Mr.E Solved! Nvidia Videocards 0 July 6th 07 12:06 AM
6800GT for $150 good ? ZTK General 2 April 24th 05 12:15 AM
Asus 6800GT any good? Cory Dunkle Nvidia Videocards 10 January 10th 05 04:22 AM
MSI 6800GT 26DB version Nicolai Nvidia Videocards 2 August 6th 04 05:16 PM