8800GTS too hot

Old September 7th 07, 02:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
senderj

Default 8800GTS too hot

E6750, Gigabyte P35C-DS3R, Ausu 8800GTS 320MB, ADATA DDR2 2GB, CoolerMaster
Elite332, Seagate SATA 320GB, PCI modem, no OC, the case only has a 12cm fan
at the back.

Right after boot, CPU at 44C, system at 56C, 8800GTS at 68C with fan 60%.
Few minitues later, others unchange except 8800GTS rised to 74C. I didn't
let it go further by switching the fan to 100% then it dropped to 67C (could
be lower if I keep on running). At 74C, the airflow exit at the back of the
GTS is too hot to touch. I wonder if I should let it run further. The above
is just a 2D reading!!

My question:
1. is the GTS too hot?
2. will adding a 12cm fan at the front of the case help?
3. how to permanently make the fan run at 100%? Now the fan control software
such as Asus Smartdoc, nTune, RaveTuner have to run at start up to do this.
I do not use their other functions, so trying to avoid running them to save
overhead.

Thanks in advance.

Old September 7th 07, 05:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Arno Wagner

Previously senderj wrote:
E6750, Gigabyte P35C-DS3R, Ausu 8800GTS 320MB, ADATA DDR2 2GB, CoolerMaster
Elite332, Seagate SATA 320GB, PCI modem, no OC, the case only has a 12cm fan
at the back.

Right after boot, CPU at 44C, system at 56C, 8800GTS at 68C with fan 60%.
Few minitues later, others unchange except 8800GTS rised to 74C. I didn't
let it go further by switching the fan to 100% then it dropped to 67C (could
be lower if I keep on running). At 74C, the airflow exit at the back of the
GTS is too hot to touch. I wonder if I should let it run further. The above
is just a 2D reading!!

Everything avove 62C or so is too hot too touch. Semiconductors
can still be fine, depending on the concrete chip in question.
If this chip has similar maximum temperature to current CPUs,
then it will take something around 90C and still have a reasonable
lifetime of 5 years or so.

My question:
1. is the GTS too hot?

I actually do not know. I have been wondering the same thing.
My fan is on automatic. I expect it will spin faster if the card
gets too hot.

2. will adding a 12cm fan at the front of the case help?

Depends. The cooler design is exceedingly stupid by blowing
a major potion of the hot air inside the case. I have re-reouted
the air for the moment (PVC tape) and this at least makes
the other components run cooler with, so far, no negative
evvect on the card. However I have seen up to 75C card
temperature with the case open at 22C ambient temperature.
My guess would be that the fan will not help the card, but
the rest of the computer.

3. how to permanently make the fan run at 100%? Now the fan control
software such as Asus Smartdoc, nTune, RaveTuner have to run at
start up to do this. I do not use their other functions, so trying
to avoid running them to save overhead.

The question is if this is neded. My card has 3 years warranty.
If it kills itself, not really my problem. If it kills other
stuff by heating up the computers inside, very much my problem.
Another reason tpo re-route the hot air to the outside.

Arno

Old September 7th 07, 05:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

"senderj" wrote in message ...
E6750, Gigabyte P35C-DS3R, Ausu 8800GTS 320MB, ADATA DDR2 2GB,
CoolerMaster Elite332, Seagate SATA 320GB, PCI modem, no OC, the case only
has a 12cm fan at the back.

Right after boot, CPU at 44C, system at 56C, 8800GTS at 68C with fan 60%.
Few minitues later, others unchange except 8800GTS rised to 74C. I didn't
let it go further by switching the fan to 100% then it dropped to 67C
(could be lower if I keep on running). At 74C, the airflow exit at the
back of the GTS is too hot to touch. I wonder if I should let it run
further. The above is just a 2D reading!!

My question:
1. is the GTS too hot?

The only temp that matters is the fully loaded 3D temp. Run the fan at 100%.
Turn on the hardware monitoring strip charts in Rivatuner and launch a
stressful game (Bioshock is a good one). Play for about half an hour, exit,
and look at the peak temp. Don't worry about damaging the card as it has
thermal shutdown capability.

If the peak temp is below 90C you are fine. Modern cards are designed to
withstand that kind of heat.

2. will adding a 12cm fan at the front of the case help?

I think it'll help a tiny bit, say 5C improvement. Your case's side panel
already has a vent in the expansion slot area, so the video card fan
shouldn't be starving for cool air. Take a temperature reading with the side
panel off. That's as good as it gets for case ventilation.

3. how to permanently make the fan run at 100%? Now the fan control
software such as Asus Smartdoc, nTune, RaveTuner have to run at start up
to do this. I do not use their other functions, so trying to avoid running
them to save overhead.

I think you can exit Rivatuner after Windows startup and keep the fan speed
setting for the duration of the Windows session. A more permanent solution
is to run the fan directly off a 12V lead from the PSU (using a 34-pin
adapter. You can also solder the fan wires to a 12V pin on the card's 6-pin
PCIe power connector, but that'll of course void your warranty.

Old September 8th 07, 12:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_4_]

Your case currently lacks adequate cooling for your chosen components which
produce a lot of heat. At a minimum, yes, add a front case fan. See if
that gives adequate temps afterwards.

--
DaveW

"senderj" wrote in message ...
[...]

8800GTS or 8800GTX? Patrick Vervoorn Nvidia Videocards 16 August 31st 07 10:34 AM
8800gts Frey Nvidia Videocards 2 August 30th 07 02:50 PM
8800GTS SLI Gary Nvidia Videocards 8 August 12th 07 09:27 PM
Just got a 8800GTS \Work\ or \Microsoft News Server\ Nvidia Videocards 12 July 17th 07 11:32 PM
8800GTS 320MB vs. 8800GTS 640MB 007 Nvidia Videocards 3 February 28th 07 08:36 PM