(OT) FWIW Vista RTM update on Dimension 8300.

Old January 16th 07, 06:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

Default (OT) FWIW Vista RTM update on Dimension 8300.

Apparently my 8300 didn't like RC1 or RC2 (or vice versa).

Just got a chance to install the RTM version of Vista Ultimate on the
machine and it's running like a champ.

No performance issues using the full GUI and toys, no driver installs, and
even a fresh download of the newest AVG 7.5 installed w/o issue.

System is a 3.0GHz Northwood/1GHz PC3200 DDR/128mb AGP Radeon 9700 Pro.

The OS appears to have about an 8gb footprint on the hard drive.

There is no comparison in the performance versus the 3 other versions of
Vista I toyed with.

-Stew

Old January 16th 07, 07:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

S.Lewis wrote:
Apparently my 8300 didn't like RC1 or RC2 (or vice versa).

Just got a chance to install the RTM version of Vista Ultimate on the
machine and it's running like a champ.

There is no comparison in the performance versus the 3 other versions of
Vista I toyed with.

Does it still insist on flashing up the message "you're an idiot, do
you really really want to do this?" every time you attempt to do
something even vaguely off the beaten track?

That was the biggest annoyance in RC2 that I encountered.

Microsoft called it a "feature"...........I had other words for it.

Old January 16th 07, 09:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

wrote in message
ups.com...

S.Lewis wrote:
Apparently my 8300 didn't like RC1 or RC2 (or vice versa).

Just got a chance to install the RTM version of Vista Ultimate on the
machine and it's running like a champ.

There is no comparison in the performance versus the 3 other versions of
Vista I toyed with.

Does it still insist on flashing up the message "you're an idiot, do
you really really want to do this?" every time you attempt to do
something even vaguely off the beaten track?

That was the biggest annoyance in RC2 that I encountered.

Microsoft called it a "feature"...........I had other words for it.

Yep. "User account permissions" while navigating within Windows. Still
there. I'm betting money it can be disabled, but I've not drilled it down
yet or even tried.

All I know is that the OS is finally responsive.